Is this the final word in muzzleloading propellants?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerning ignition systems...

For right now...I'd probably hold off buying the non-FPJ breechplug until I've had a chance to shoot some more. Maybe the solution is something simple.

I'm going to give the FPJ another shot..(pun intended!)

Well I have plenty of triple seven to use up so it'll be 2009 at the earliest for me anyway.

big6x6 said:

For right now...I'd probably hold off buying the non-FPJ breechplug until I've had a chance to shoot some more. Maybe the solution is something simple.

Yes, with the original cupped breach, please. I and many others will be waiting. Thanks Chuck

Spitpatch said:
big6x6 said:

Yes, with the original cupped breach, please. I and many others will be waiting. Thanks Chuck

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation??? :D

Spitpatch said:
big6x6 said:

edmehlig said:
Chuck, why can't you use it with #11 or Musket caps??

Ed...That's Western Powders recommendation. To NOT use anything OTHER than shotgun 209 primers. Reason? The risk/likelihood of misfires is too great.

Great report, Chuck. I have been waiting for someone without ties to the market to try it out....
8)
If it's non corrosive, it sounds like this powder would be OK in the Savage for people that can't use smokeless in their hunting area. Might be an option for guys that travel to hunt and get a tag for a smoke only area.

Chuck,

Great report! I have been waiting a long time to get the update on this.

I am glad to hear that BH209 has performed well and it is certainly on my list!!! It would be great to have some for C-ville!

Good job!

:yeah:

Nice report! :wink: How much of an impact do you think this powder will have on the smokeless muzzleloader market?? I may have to get me one of them plastic shooters... :lol: :wink:

See what??,,,the impact on marketing or me shooting a plastic gun.... :lol: :lol:

I've had 2 Omegas and a Disc Elite that I wasn't happy with. One Omega shot great,,I shoulda kept that one... :roll: The other Omega was decent,,but not great. I was highly disappointed in the .50 Disc Elite. I WORKED that sucker with everything in the book,,,and couldn't get it to consistantly shoot anything but conicals. (I probably got the only crap barrel Knight's put out in years.. :roll: ) I even followed JJs recommended loads. (mighta been half the problem.. :roll: :lol: ) That sucker just didn't wanna shoot!! JJ sent me about every bullet combo he had,,,,but it stunk. :( I finally sold it to a buddy of mine,,who shoots conicals thru it,,with great results. :wink:

I've got enough conical guns,,,, :roll: :lol:

Batchief909 said:
Nice report! :wink: How much of an impact do you think this powder will have on the smokeless muzzleloader market?? I may have to get me one of them plastic shooters... :lol: :wink:

Of COURSE I've been thinking that ALL ALONG! It certainly SMOKES..but not to the degree that Triple Se7en/Pyrodex do. And to be able to get into the 1900fps range with 290-300gr bullets...that's what AA-5744 does in a 10ML-II.

BTW...I cleaned the bore of my KRB7 with nothing more than a few patches and Hoppes #9! It REALLY wasn't that dirty and was REALLY easy..

6X6 have you tested how longer barrels affect velocity on this new powder? Was wondering if the somewhat longer prohunter barrels add much velocity. Problem is with QLA they are probably not really that much longer than the knight if at all. I got 1926 fps with 3 777 pellets and a 300 grain bullet in a 26" Encore. It took about 120-130 of loose FFF 777 to match that. I see you tried 120 grains, I know the powder maker states 100 grains max, have you heard of any gun manufactures listing their "magnum load" max with this powder?

Batchief909 said:
How much of an impact do you think this powder will have on the smokeless muzzleloader market??

The velocity that Chuck is showing is no competition to smokeless. Chuck setup my ULA with 44grns of 4759 and a 275grn Parker shooting close to 2400fps. This new powder is a huge improvement for the black powder/777/Pyrodex shooters for sure. Smokeless is still alot cheaper to shoot. :wink:

BTW- I just bought a new Knight Muzzleloader to start trying out the new powder myself. :)

Grouse said:
Batchief909 said:
How much of an impact do you think this powder will have on the smokeless muzzleloader market??

The velocity that Chuck is showing is no competition to smokeless. Chuck setup my ULA with 44grns of 4759 and a 275grn Parker shooting close to 2400fps. This new powder is a huge improvement for the black powder/777/Pyrodex shooters for sure. Smokeless is still alot cheaper to shoot. :wink:

BTW- I just bought a new Knight Muzzleloader to start trying out the new powder myself. :)
I fully intend on buying a KRB or KRB7 for just this purpose (Blackhorn 209) as well. I shoot smokeless out of a Savage and am very satisfied with it. But I have also been very satislfied with the two Knights that I have owned ( a Black Knight and an Original Disc.) And my TC Omega was an exceptioanl rifle. I have always loved the looks of the KRB but there was never a real good review of it's sabot shooting capabilities. I'm thinking that some very good loads can be developed for its 27 inch Green Mountain barrel and Chuck has flung the door open wide as far as I'm concerned.

Latest posts

Back