Knight KRB7 powder questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I remembered someone telling me they cleaned out the lube prior to loading with break cleaner. So I was trying that too. Since I have had this crud ring problem, I am swabbing between each shots as a test to see IF or how much of a crud ring I have. IF I had swabbed it and found no crud ring, then I would start loading and shooting without swabbing, till that happens I will need to swab it to keep checking. Also if I keep shooting it just gets harder. I hope to shoot again next weekend so I will leave the MX in and just run a dry patch and pop a couple primers and see what happens. It is puzzling to me too. I have shot it in the past in my MK-95 with no problem and I also shot it in an Elite with no problem so this rifle is being and odd duck.

The extremely odd thing I saw today was the very noticeable difference in the crud ring when changing from Pink Teflon tape to the White. I have been thinking about this one and the only thing I plan to try is to Not wrap the tape over the end of the plug and just let the face of the plug seal it off. I will just wrap the threads only. I have never heard anyone report this before either.

I love those Deep Curls and this rifle seems to like them too. Problem with them is seems others like them too lots of places are out of them. and I don't have but a couple 250's left and about half box of 300's. :(

ShawnT said:
...................................... I pulled the plug and found that the crud was about 1 inch long and about 1 inch in front of where the end of the plug would be..................................
This 'crud' interferes with the bullet being loaded tight to the powder? The way you describe this 'crud', it exists where the powder would be located, and you can load the bullet without a problem, or is it far enough away from the breech plug that it interferes with your getting the bullet tight to the powder?

The crud ring i used to experience, when i used 777, seemed like it was higher up the barrel, and it wanted to keep the bullet from being pushed tight to the powder.

If i correctly understand, i would ignore this 'crud', and keep shooting without any swabbing for 15 shots or more. Upon returning home, i would clean the rifle and the 'crud'.

I do not use any bore conditioners. I use Kroil in the bore when the gun is going to be stored for some period of time. I wipe the Kroil out prior to shooting using a dry patch and then use Braker Cleaner, being very careful, on a patch to get the rest of it out. I shoot one primer off with a patch in the bore. I shoot one light load off of around 100 gr to foul the bore. I do not swap at all while shooting. If there is a small ring of residue left behind I do not feel it upon reloading. I know the bullet is seated on the powder. I will be looking for this ring when I am at the range this week. This applies to BH 209 only as T7 is a whole nother animal for me.

I only wrap the teflon tape just over the face of the breechplug that seals on the shoulder in the gun. This is my preference as others cover most of the face.

I believe Ron hit the nail on the head. I can pop a primer off then swab the barrel and it is filthy and takes a few Hoppes patches to clean out. Its just primer fouling, not crud or hard fouling that needs to be scrubbed out. I do believe like Ron stated you need to try loading a round without swabbing the barrel and see how it feels seating the bullet. With BH209 most guns shoot the best on a fairly fouled bore.

I have on an occasion or two forgot to swab the MX Bore Conditioner out of the barrel prior to fouling the bore and shooting. 1st shot was right there with shots 2 and 3.

When all the posts about not wanting teflon products in the bore popped up a while back it got me thinking about how I wrapped the plugs with teflon tape. I have been wrapping my plugs just as jsteurrys stated for about the last month.

Have you tried cleaning the bore with JB Bore Paste on a extra tight fitting patch? 50-100 passes works wonders for cleaning fouling thats hidden in the rifling that is not noticable. Follow up then with MX Bore Conditioner.

Last time I was out I did just Load and Shoot as Ron Is suggesting. The Crud ring was very hard to remove doing that since it just kept building up. The Ring is located in what I would think is where the middle of the powder charge would be.

I am trying to figure out what is causing the Crud Ring and not worried about any fouling in the bore. The goal of this little project is not not be able to "just load and shoot", but to make this rifle as clean as possible, The KRB is known to be a dirty rifle. It all started with trying to get the KRB7 action sealed to make it clean with 777, but I wound up actually making it shoot BH reliably. Now that that is accomplished I want to see if I can find the reason for the crud ring that I have never heard reported before with BH.

I am wrapping the tape only over the face that contacts the shoulder in the bore like jsteurrys is stating, but next time out I plan to move that back off of the face.

And yes as I mentioned above, the bore was JB'd to remove anything in the bore prior to using the MX conditioner. It was scrubbed with Butches, JB'd, scrubbed with Butches again, then cleaned out with Break cleaner, then MX applied.

Last time I was out I did just Load and Shoot as Ron Is suggesting. The Crud ring was very hard to remove doing that since it just kept building up. The Ring is located in what I would think is where the middle of the powder charge would be.

I am trying to figure out what is causing the Crud Ring and not worried about any fouling in the bore. The goal of this little project is not not be able to "just load and shoot", but to make this rifle as clean as possible, The KRB is known to be a dirty rifle. It all started with trying to get the KRB7 action sealed to make it clean with 777, but I wound up actually making it shoot BH reliably. Now that that is accomplished I want to see if I can find the reason for the crud ring that I have never heard reported before with BH.

I am wrapping the tape only over the face that contacts the shoulder in the bore like jsteurrys is stating, but next time out I plan to move that back off of the face.

And yes as I mentioned above, the bore was JB'd to remove anything in the bore prior to using the MX conditioner. It was scrubbed with Butches, JB'd, scrubbed with Butches again, then cleaned out with Break cleaner, then MX applied.

When posting the last reply I got an "Internal Server error". When I went back to the thread found it had double posted.

Latest posts

Back