Knight Super Disc .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Super Disc .45 1/20 twist from the classifieds. I want to shoot bullet to bore with BH 209 so I'm looking for loads that will work. Gun has been converted to red fpj but I would like to convert to bare primer. What are my options for the conversion? Can this gun be converted to smokeless? Anything else to comment on would be greatly appreciated as this is my first ML. I was going to jump straight into smokeless but saw this ML for sale and figured why not.

Thanks GM. The Lehigh bare primer adapter looks like it slides onto the bolt face, is that correct? Is there another option where I can go with the Lehigh breech plug and a "dedicated" bolt that doesn't need the primer adapter? I like the option you suggested but if someone makes a Knight 209 bolt that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I may go that route. I see Jeff Fisk makes the bolt kit but the cost, although I am sure is worth every penny would be overkill for a hunting rig.

Yes it just replaces the red FPJ. Stays in until you remove the bolt. I find it easier than the bare primer bolt body.

I've had both the knight bare 209 bolt and the conversion that uses the bare primer adapter. I found the bare primer adapter much easier to just than the 209 bolt. That with the Lehigh plug would be my recommendation for sure.

If i may, and I'm not familiar with your overall firearms experience, but let me suggest learning the basics of muzzleloaders before jumping to smokeless. They're similar, but a mistake in one is much less forgiving then the same mistake in the other.

Just so you understand. The adapter for the red FPJ bolt goes in the bolt body when its removed from the action. It slides right in. Then you put the breach plug in and replace the bolt with adapter. It wont fall out in the action. Now you have a little square to drop in the bare 209 primer. Using a bare primer bolt you have to slide the primer into a groove to catch the rim. Its far easier with the adapter than the dedicated bare 209 bolt.

Now you can make a tool from a 6mm wrench if i recall. Takes a little grinding to get it to fit in the bare primer bolt. Then you use the box end wrench to slide the 209 into the grooves. Sportmans Warehouse sells the bare bolt body. It may need some minor fitting for the DISC but mine fits my DISC 45? It says its for Mountaineer but a Knight bolt is a Knight bolt. They are the same size and length.

The breach plug wont fit but the bolt body will. Just use your internals in the body. Takes only a minute to swap them. This is around $130+ direct from Knight and its actually jeweled too.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...parts/knight-mountaineer-209-conv-k/p/1508871
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/mountaineer-209-bare-primer-conversion-kit/

X3 for the Lehigh bare primer adapter. The knight bare primer bolt that i got constantly has primers stick in it. I hate it. The Lehigh adapters have been 100% trouble free for me in 2 different guns. Never had to do anything to get the spent primer out of either gun, just tip it and the primer falls out every time. And the price cant be beat. That jeweled mountaineer bolt sure does look purty tho.

I just picked up a Super Disc .45 1/20 twist from the classifieds. I want to shoot bullet to bore with BH 209 so I'm looking for loads that will work. Gun has been converted to red fpj but I would like to convert to bare primer. What are my options for the conversion? Can this gun be converted to smokeless? Anything else to comment on would be greatly appreciated as this is my first ML. I was going to jump straight into smokeless but saw this ML for sale and figured why not.
Im glad you bought that beauty before i could talk myself into it. Thank you Birdog.

Im glad you bought that beauty before i could talk myself into it. Thank you Birdog.
My original plan was to go straight to smokeless as I thought that would be easier for me in the long run, that is until I saw that Knight Disc .45 in the classifieds. The price was right on the Knight Disc and I had enough new information that convinced me BH209 was not really that bad. I watched my buddy fight with his Traditions ML shooting T7 before he switched to BH. BH was definately better but I talked myself into SML because I love accurate firearms and I convinced myself that I would not be able to get the accuracy I wanted with BH.

I discovered that I was wrong and that I had underestimated the accuracy potential of BH in the right gun. I also knew I could get help from you guy's and for that I am very grateful. I am convinced the Lehigh set up that GM54 suggested in the beginning is the way to go. Not that I doubted GM but Michiganmuzzy and SuperKirby you guys convinced me that my concerns with that primer adapter was my own ignorance and I had no idea how it worked or that it could be trouble free as you guys stated. GM's detailed explanation on how it worked was very helpful as well. So thanks guys for your help. Oh, and Michiganmuzzy you owe me a beer with the money I saved you!

i have both, get the Lehigh.you are getting the proper advice here as always, good luck with your new toy

Later when you want to upgrade look into the Bestill bushing plug. Its needs to be fit to your rifle but after that its a winner. His plugs are made from the same 17-4 as the Lehighs but his plug uses a tungsten carbide bushing instead of a vent liner. The powder pocket is also smaller so your patch wont ever catch at the end of the rifling.

If i could change one thing on the Lehigh (right side plug) it would be a 45cal powder side instead of 50cal. That way the patch cant ever snag and it will still work fine in the 50s.
nzJLGR1.jpg

45bi2bK.png

Last edited:
Later when you want to upgrade look into the Bestill bushing plug. Its needs to be fit to your rifle but after that its a winner. His plugs are made from the same 17-4 as the Lehighs but his plug uses a tungsten carbide bushing instead of a vent liner. The powder pocket is also smaller so your patch wont ever catch at the end of the rifling.

If i could change one thing on the Lehigh (right side plug) it would be a 45cal powder side instead of 50cal. That way the patch cant ever snag and it will still work fine in the 50s.
nzJLGR1.jpg

45bi2bK.png
Can I use the Lehigh primer adapter with the Bestill breech plug if and when I upgrade? You mentioned patches so does that mean a patch is mandatory or can I go patchless?

Latest posts

Back