Knight Ultra-Lite with LiFe Nitrided Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video is terribly misleading because Cerakote does nothing to protect the bore and Traditions does not use SS at all. Can you imagine what the bore on that Traditions looked like when the first signs of rust showed on the CVA with nitride....I would wager it was toast by then.
I agree with you 100%. The bore is much more important than the exterior of the rifle. Traditions makes a poor/cheap quality muzzleloader

As a less expensive option OVER SS, i would look into BlackIce Coatings. It used to be about $180ish to do the barrel. Its exterior ONLY too.

My original Disc has a chip in the exterior due to a fall I took down a mountain. Thankfully the ramrod was longer than the barrel. I’ll spend the $400 extra with Parker no problem because I plan on hunting with the new ML for a long time!

You know for the price difference, I would definitely go with BESTILL Creations. You would be getting a product scheduled and checked by a master technician.

I believe the Parker project quote was $400.

Scott, in the Technical Information - it indicated 'external' protection - so I am assuming no additional protection in the bore?

Black-T is external only as in nothing in the bore or "chamber". It will be in the action from my understanding just like BlackIce. Doc White used to offer BlackIce if i recall. From what im reading it is also Teflon based just like BlackIce.

The proprietary process for coating metal with Black-T® finish has remained largely unchanged since its original development, with only minor alterations to the formula and the addition of a range of color options. Black-T® is a PTFE product, similar to Teflon® in chemical composition, but it is applied at a fraction of the thickness of other PTFE and new-age finishes (0.3-0.7 mils thick instead of 1-3 mils thick). Black-T is thin enough that it can be applied to most firearm components without affecting fit or performance, and it can even be applied to springs with no issue. Independent lab testing has rated the thin version of our coating at 1,500 hours on the ASTM 117 salt spray test and beyond 4,000 hours for our thicker coating. Black-T® coating is incredibly durable because it is chemically bonded to virtually any ferrous or nonferrous metals, including steel, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, brass, and even some plastics and composites. The Black-T finish also boasts a low coefficient of friction, eliminating the need for lubrication on firearms altogether, except for the barrel bore. But while Black-T® has been the gold standard for corrosion-resistant coatings on firearms for decades, its possible applications are virtually endless.

As a less expensive option OVER SS, i would look into BlackIce Coatings. It used to be about $180ish to do the barrel. Its exterior ONLY too.

I had a S91 Black Iced about a year ago. I think it was 150 and they coated everything, barrel, hammer housing, hammer, screws, breech plug, trigger guard, thimbles, I'm missing some stuff but I sent everything but the stock. You have to pay shipping, so it cast me around 200 total.

The coating is as advertised BUT, with Whites it will wear in the breech area if you don't protect it. On rifles with a good sealed ignition it will last forever. Still, it doesn't coat the bore. If money is not an issue, nitride is the way to go. If you can't afford it, Black Ice is a great option.

The pic has both coatings. The White(top rifle) has the Black Ice. The Knight has nitriding.

Attachments

• 20201112_203450.jpg
    20201112_203450.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 25
I had a S91 Black Iced about a year ago. I think it was 150 and they coated everything, barrel, hammer housing, hammer, screws, breech plug, trigger guard, thimbles, I'm missing some stuff but I sent everything but the stock. You have to pay shipping, so it cast me around 200 total.

The coating is as advertised BUT, with Whites it will wear in the breech area if you don't protect it. On rifles with a good sealed ignition it will last forever. Still, it doesn't coat the bore. If money is not an issue, nitride is the way to go. If you can't afford it, Black Ice is a great option.

The pic has both coatings. The White(top rifle) has the Black Ice. The Knight has nitriding.
Those are beautiful rifles!

If someone needs a barrel nitrided, I will do it for $50. Here are my conditions...
1. It must be an inline or centerfire barrel where you can see straight through it.
2. It must be completely disassembled when I get it. I don't need any gunsmithing jobs right now.
3. You pay for shipping to me, and back to you.
4. you are on my batch schedule. I send big lots of parts monthly and they cover the lot charge which is $250.
If you wish to spend $250, just send it straight there.
If you need exterior finishing ,like Aox blasting, we do that (for a charge)
The condition of the barrel coming out is only as good as how it goes in.
My nitriding is done by Northeast Coating Technologies in Kennebunk Maine. They are part of HEF USA and probably the biggest company that does
Melonite QPQ as they own IP on the salts.

Wow ,very nice gesture, as soon as my season is over I will take you up on that. I also will be buying one of your patriot rifles soon. thank you sir

If someone needs a barrel nitrided, I will do it for $50. Here are my conditions...
1. It must be an inline or centerfire barrel where you can see straight through it.
2. It must be completely disassembled when I get it. I don't need any gunsmithing jobs right now.
4. you are on my batch schedule. I send big lots of parts monthly and they cover the lot charge which is $250.
My nitriding is done by Northeast Coating Technologies in Kennebunk Maine. They are part of HEF USA and probably the biggest company that does
I think you may be my new best friend!

Very nice. They use the post oxidation step also. Sounds good.
rsz_sbn_qpq.jpg

I did.
The performance of the .45 looked really good, but although I live in the South, I return back to the West frequently to hunt. And those states want the .50.
I think hunting wise - .50 Colorado legal (fiber sights) UL - is the way to go. Get the FPJ, so you can get a conversion kit from Lehigh or bestill. For shooting competitions or long distance rifle performance - the 500 or Mountaineer .45 fast twist is way to go!

120grV of BH209 and a 300gr Parker will clock around 2100fps from the 45cal 27" barrel. 110grV and a 275gr is about the same speed. This is sabotless and legal in many states for deer and a few for elk. Its legal in New Mexico. Illinois for example you CANT shoot 45x40 sabots. 44cal bullet limitation BUT you can legally shoot a 45cal sabotless :D

Back