large rifle primers in a 209 skirt ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinmonty

Reaction score
Kind of read about how the LR primers are seeming to become a highly thought of idea . I have many thousands of LR primers on hand as a reloader myself .

Is there any merit to this somewhat new ignition source ? Worth the trouble of priming a empty 209 jacket ?

I understand that its less powerful but a more concintrated flame ? There for a better igniter ?

Kind of peaked my interest . Anyone ?

MM

I honestly don't want to reinvent the wheel but If it helps within 250 yards I could see where it may be worth it ?

Im sure it could be done but not that I know of . Im seeing where a 209 primer without the primer itself is basicly empty and a large rifle primer is put in it .

If you try, let us know how it goes. I have an LRMP setup for my CVA and it is awesome. But the 209s are leak prone and especially with heavy loads. Wouldn't that still be the case if you were repriming them? I will send you all the fired 209s you want to try out.

LOL . Im good . Its seems the LR primer thing is getting traction . I just came across an article on it and scanned threw it .

Guess we posted about the same time . Care to elaborate some on where it shines ? I get the no more leak part although I never really seen a lot of leakage on a fairly new rifle myself .

Interesting for sure . Clearly some of you fellas are WAY down the rabbit hole on these smoke poles , Thumbs up .

MM

Kind of read about how the LR primers are seeming to become a highly thought of idea . I have many thousands of LR primers on hand as a reloader myself .

Is there any merit to this somewhat new ignition source ? Worth the trouble of priming a empty 209 jacket ?

I understand that its less powerful but a more concintrated flame ? There for a better igniter ?

Kind of peaked my interest . Anyone ?

MM
Hotter flame less volume they say . I load for 300 win mag so i have a few,lol, large rifle magnum primers , LRMP . BY FAR the biggest torch are the Winchesters , a primed empty case will blow flames out of a 26in barrel .
Ive thought of what you are saying . But i think it would be better to canibalize a new 209 . That flimsy carrier their in distorts from pressure when fired . Not too good to seal up again . Just my thoughts ive had......

Heres another thought back at ya --- load 10gr T7 3f FIRST then your blackhorn load minus 5gr on top of that . Gets it talkin.......easier than foolin with primers......

Last edited:
Personally never heard of trying to reload a spent 209 primer cup with a LRP.:think: Not too sure it would work as I would think the LRP would be seated to low in the cup to allow the firing pin to strike it. IF left up high enough for the firing pin to hit it then the strike would just push it deeper in the cup and most likely not set off the primer.
Maybe what you have been hearing about is the VariFlame Adapter?

Personally never heard of trying to reload a spent 209 primer cup with a LRP.:think: Not too sure it would work as I would think the LRP would be seated to low in the cup to allow the firing pin to strike it. IF left up high enough for the firing pin to hit it then the strike would just push it deeper in the cup and most likely not set off the primer.
Maybe what you have been hearing about is the VariFlame Adapter?
Maybe but green locktite ,bearings and sleves , 1 drop ..... too much delicate work . Duplex it . Dont forget to pack blackhorn to at least 75lb . Over 100 is better........

Last edited:
Maybe but green locktite , 1 drop .. too much delicate work . Duplex it .

Possibly, but I doubt it would work, at least not reliably. It is not just the firing pin strike that sets off the primer. It is the combination of the strike driving the primer compound into the anvil. With the primer sitting "Suspended " in the cup there would be nothing for the anvil to sit on. The Firing pin strike would just "Seat" the primer the rest of the way in the cup. I helped trouble shoot a new reloader having an issue like this several years ago. Boiled down to some bad brass and pockets cut way too deep, so took 2 strikes to set off the primer.

Just my 2 cents. But I agree too much trouble. Just decapping the spent 209 and cleaning it out would be a pain.

Back