Leaded or Unleaded? ... Ammo that is.

Discussion in 'New to Muzzleloading' started by Buster Brown, Sep 21, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Sep 21, 2019 #1

Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I’m shooting:
    Knight Ultralight .50 (.501 bore)
    RWS No 11 Caps
    777 FFFg
    Restricted to full bore conicals in OR, all lead or all copper.

Got the 250 Grn Thor’s shooting well, so I started to experiment with some of the Lead Bullets I’ve picked up.

I tried Hornady Great Plains 385 and Power Belt Pure Lead 300 grn. Neither seem to be as highly regarded as the heavy lead conicals, but they were immediately available.

Accuracy was non-existent. Up, down, left, right... shifts of 8 plus inches between shots. When I hit paper.

Both bullets are hollow points. The Great Plains were hard to seat through the muzzle and I noticed my cylindrical loading jag was making a circular ring on the ogive. I switched to a cone shaped loading jag and it didn’t seem to help. The Power Belt Pure Leads were easier to seat in the muzzle, and only made a light ring on the ogive. Cone shape jag also didn’t seem to help. Note: once through the muzzle they both slid down the bore relatively easily.

I noticed I was getting lead smears on the post shot patches with both bullets. I have heard “leading” mentioned in passing on here, so I backed the charge down to 70 grains. I was still getting lead on the post shot patches. Didn’t see any reason to go lower.

Is this normal? Between the nose and the base being marred, I can’t imagine it was good for accuracy.

I have read about the felt over powder wads, but I don’t have any yet. Are they a necessity for the Heavy Lead conicals?

I have heard the praises of the Heavy Lead Conicals on here, but will I have similar problems (nose marring) with Ed’s, Bullshop, Etc?

I feel alright with the Thor’s on Blacktails, but I do want to get into the heavier lead for Elk.

Just looking for what has worked for others.

Thanks,

Buster

2. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:52 AM #2

Steelheader323

Steelheader323

Steelheader323

Try the heavier Thor bullets or keep trying different loads withbthe Great Plains bullets as a lot of game has been takin with them. Maybe try some lee full size conical a bit honestly I’d feel comfortable shooting an elk with the 250 Thor at closer range.. They expand great as they are a Barnes bullet. Possibly try the hornady FPB

3. Dec 3, 2019 at 1:04 PM #3

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

The ONLY time i have ever had issues with Leading was when i Chose to Not use an Over Powder Wad. Accuracy comes from the BASE of our Bullets, NOT the Nose. PROTECT your Bullet Bases!!

4. Dec 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM #4

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

Another Tid bit of advice, Something to try. The Hornady bullets you speak of have a Cupped Base, An Over Powder Wad can be a Problem here due to it “Pushing” up inside that Cup, Defeating the Wads Purpose. Try this loading procedure: Dump your Powder, Push a Wad Down (if using Wool i prefer a .54 Cal Wool Wad in my .50 Bores) Start the Wad Strait, Seat it on the Powder with a Decent push, Now use about a 1/2 of a Cotton Ball, Maybe just a 1/4 of one? Experiment here, The piece of Cotton Ball is to Fill the Cupped Base so the Main Over Powder Wad does Not push up inside the Cupped base. Make sure the Cotton Ball is 100% Cotton :lewis:

Why i prefer Oversize Over Powder Wads