Lehigh DISC Extreme - Elite Parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that might be interested Lehigh Dave is back offering conversion parts - 17-4 breech plugs, primer adapters and Vent lines...

Lehigh-BP-Conversion.jpg
Have a brand new Knight Disc Extreme with the FPJ in which I would like to try BH209. Seems the skinny for this is to convert to bare primer with these Lehigh products. I have a couple of questions for you guys (and gals?). Does the primer adapter mount on the front of the stock Knight bolt? I ask because Knight seems to sell a completely different bolt for their conversion. and What is the function of the Lehigh vent liner? Also, I read about some headspace problems. Are headspace or other problems normally associated with other brands of conversions?

Have a brand new Knight Disc Extreme with the FPJ in which I would like to try BH209. Seems the skinny for this is to convert to bare primer with these Lehigh products. I have a couple of questions for you guys (and gals?). Does the primer adapter mount on the front of the stock Knight bolt?

Yes, it drop right in the FPJ bolt nose. You can see it inserted in the top picture.

3-Knightbolts.jpg

This is a FPJ bolt and adapter

LRHProblem.jpg

I ask because Knight seems to sell a completely different bolt for their conversion. and What is the function of the Lehigh vent liner? Also, I read about some headspace problems. Are headspace or other problems normally associated with other brands of conversions?

You are correct Knight is now using a completely different bare primer bolt, but many of us feel the FPJ bolt and primer adapter are better than the newer bolt - in the ease of operation.

There is a good chance you might need to shim the breech plug pocket to get a rifle clean breech. If not the breech will get dirty when shooting - still probably cleaner than shooting FPJ's.

One thing that will help with the new set up is to shoot the longer W209 primers.

The Lehigh "adapter" goes in the bolt like the red FPJ would. Pull the bolt out of the action and insert the "adapter". Then place the bolt back in the action. The adapter will not come out while the bolt is in the action.

The vent liner is your flash hole. It prevents higher pressure from reaching the primer. They should be replaced when they reach about .035-.036. The better your primer seals the longer the vent will last too.

Out of 4+ DISC type rifles i have converted all were fine with Win209 primers but there is no guaranties your will be. You can only try. If closing the bolt on a new primer creates a .003-.005 crush you will be fine with a WIn209. Just insert a new primer (measure it first), close the bolt once or twice and measure your primer again for any change.

If you want to use a Fed209A mag primer you will probably need to shim the primer pocket unless a Win209 crushes to about .006 Then both primers will seal almost perfectly.

I've had good luck with the lehigh setups working perfectly with W209's. I only have one that isn't perfect out of 5

I've often wondered why they call it a vent liner. :confused: Could be flash hole adapter :D

My stuff came today too, as promised. Appear extremely well made. Those little blue packages the stuff is packed in was very interesting too! Look forward to using them when the weather clears and I have time.

Parts came today also, installed them and checked the primer crush, Winchester measured .301 crushed to .295. Happy, happy happy!

Got mine yesterday- liked the tool packing they shipped the parts in

I ordered two adapter's Friday and they just showed up. I have almost lost mine twice so figured I had better get myself a couple to have as spare's just in case. Probably never need them now that I have them, better safe than sorry.

Does or will this work with the original disc with the orange primer holder ??
It won't work with the original disc bolt. You need an extreme bolt for the adapter to work. The plug works in either rifle. Look at sabotloaders pic and you can see how the adpater fits into the extreme bolt. Won't do that on an orange disc bolt.

So one would still have to purchase the $170 conversion kit just to get the bolt to adapt the Lehigh?

You may find a used disc extreme fpj bolt that would work with the primer adapter and serve your needs. Other members may respond with better info.
So one would still have to purchase the $170 conversion kit just to get the bolt to adapt the Lehigh?

I THINK the DISC original firing pin assembly will fit INSIDE a DISC Extreme bolt body. So in theory you can just buy the Extreme bolt body instead of the entire bolt. Keep an eye on Ebay though. Knight parts come up all the time.

I got a chance to finally install the Lehigh parts. First of all they are very nice quality. The Winchester's came out clean after snapping a few of them (which is the first time ever with my Knight Elite); but I have a couple of questions... I seem to only be getting about 0.002 of crush. Is that enough or should I look towards shimming? The bolt took some effort to close (also first time ever with this rifle). Are Win 209's hot enough to set off BH209 on cold days (thinking of the past cold snap we had here in Ohio)?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm really excited about finally having a chance of BH209 working in this rifle, as I had gone through 3 different early styles of breach plugs with BH209 will very little success.

Win primers vary in length, measure and sort, try the longer ones to check for crush. .002 crush may be adequate for light loads. I like .004 crush for 100 volume and heavier loads. Win primers should ignite BH 209 in severe cold. Keep us posted.

I use the Win 209 (Blue Box) primers in mine with no issues warm or cold. I hunt in SE Ohio. The Harder bolt close is from crushing the primer. That's a good thing. Did you measure the crush with a caliper? IF so check though your pack of primers and look for the shortest primers like Herschel mentioned. Try a couple of those and if you get the .002 or so crush with them you may be just fine. A .005 shim would most likely be too much for yours with the Win 209.

You may find a used disc extreme fpj bolt that would work with the primer adapter and serve your needs. Other members may respond with better info.
I got one of Knights new bare primer bolts for my original disc and it was less than impressive. But it was only $99. primers wouldn't go all the way into it and then wouldn't come out without prying them out. I had to clean up some burrs inside the primer groove. I did save $69, tho. Also i only had to buy the Lehigh breech plug. And then i had to shim that. Did not have to use the Exreme adapter. I have the Extreme bolt and adapter and Lehigh bp in my other original and i prefer the Extreme/Lehigh setup to the Knight bare setup, no contest. I will keep looking for a used Extreme bolt to replace the new Knight bolt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back