Light youth deer load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
My daughter is shooting the following with confidence:
- Knight LK 93 stainless with Nikon Monarch 4X40
- T/C 240 grain XTP sabot
- 70 grains T7 FFG lose powder
Anyone have any experience with the 240 XTP loaded this light? Never hunted with the XTP'S before. Most of her shots will be within 100 yards. If necessary I might bump her her powder without telling her. She shot her first deer last year with a 30-30 and didn't complain.

You would do well to go with the 250 grain 45 cal XTP. Its a softer bullet that wreaks havoc in a deer's chest. I've taken 10 deer with that bullet, launched at 1575 fps, with total satisfaction. I also get better accuracy with the 250s compared to the 240s.
Another good bullet is the TC Cheap Shot 240 grain lead hollow point. Me and my daughter have take 4 deer apiece with that bullet. Great results too!
Good fortune to you and your daughter

I've shot several deer and hogs with 70 grain Triple 7 and a .430" XTP 240 grain in a green crush rib sabot. I was using a TC Triumph and had it sighted in dead-on at 100-yards with a Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope. Most shots were right at 100-yards as that is the typical distance to a feeder or food plot in Texas. Never recovered a bullet.

I put one of these in my calibers. It's a 45 cal. 240 in a black sabot. Funds are tight, trying to stick with what's on hand if it will work.

Last edited:
My step daughter has killed 6-7 deer with that exact load, very dead deer and they usually bleed good. Forgot the farthest one she shot was a spike at about 85 yds quartering away, bullet never slowed down.

Last edited:
I once shot a very large mature whitetail doe at a lasered 157 yards. Muzzle velocity was right at 1830 fps. Impact velocity would of been roughly 1330 fps. The bullet was a Hornady 240 gr 44 Cal XTP. Bullet performance was perfect. Doe was broadside. Bullet broke rib going in, put a nice hole through the heart, broke rib going out. Based on tissue damage and exit hole, the XTP mushroomed correctly.

I say go ahead and use the 44 Cal XTP's at your velocity out to 100 yards.

Back