Lyman Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbf1961

Reaction score
Im wanting to build a Lyman GPR for a hunt next fall. Ive never built a muzzleloader before. I have built an AR15 so Im not completely ignorant to firearm assembly, just muzzleloader assembly. How difficult is it? How much actual fitting is there? I understand this is kit specific. Im just looking for general answers. Im sure there has been many of these builds discussed on here over the years. What kind of tools will I need?

Most in the "White" as they are called kits are very close to true fitting. But like all wood to metal fit, you have to do some very small adjustments. The main thing you need to tell yourself is ... "Do not hurry the process." Sand paper and dremel tools used sparingly in areas will be necessary. My friend did a LGPR and it turned out beautiful. He said it was not hard to do, but again stressed ... a little sanding here, a little dremel sanding there, and constantly check this fit to that . Also you will have to brown or blue the barrel. Some find this difficult, others breeze through it.

Something you might want to look close at. The price between the kits and the finished rifle. Its normally not very much. Even the finished rifle you have to finish the stock a little. I used Birchwood Casey True Oil.

I have done a T/C Renegade Kit some 30 years ago, and a CVA Kentucky Rifle about `12 years ago. Again let me stress, slow down and make small adjustments until you get the fit you want. It can be done.

Back