Maiden Voyage for new Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old/new

Reaction score
Got out today to shoot the new 45 cal.
Mounted a 2.5-10x40 Bushnell Elite 4200 using Durasight mounts.

After getting her on paper I shot these two 5 shot groups with two different bullets & charges. This was at 50 yds only. Then it started to snow heavy and they closed the range. The 180gr XTPs which came with a tan sabot loaded with extreme difficulty from a clean barrel. It only got marginally better with a fouled bore. The Barnes loaded slightly easier. I have no Harvesters or MMPs in 45 cal yet.

Next time out I will try at 100 yds. and experiment more.

Oh yeah...using a trigger pull gauge I got an average of 2lbs. 5oz after 10 pulls. This trigger is sweet! :!: :D

24onio6.jpg

2nqrzmw.jpg

2vc94rb.jpg

oh wow is that stock nice!

it would be interesting to see how it shoots the 275gr AT and 300gr platinum powerbelts. Gotta see first before i can order one :lol:

frontier gander said:
oh wow is that stock nice!

it would be interesting to see how it shoots the 275gr AT and 300gr platinum powerbelts. Gotta see first before i can order one :lol:

if I just had the money on had, I would get on in 45.

my birthday is coming up. :wink:

that is a nice looking rifle. And it looks like it will be a good shooter as well.

I was shooting BH209. I think I wrote it on the target but it may be hard to pick up.

Great looking rifle, sounds like the trigger is a winner.

What were your impressions of the cleaning process? I think those groups will really tighten when you find the sweet spot.

I would try the 200 grain 10mm XPT in 45/40 crushed ribs in that rifle.

Heavy trigger on yours. :wink:

Underclocked said:
What were your impressions of the cleaning process? I think those groups will really tighten when you find the sweet spot.

I would try the 200 grain 10mm XPT in 45/40 crushed ribs in that rifle.

Heavy trigger on yours. :wink:

Cleans just like my PH. I will need different patches, though. Had to cut the ones I had. And maybe a another range rod. I'm a bit fussy with cleaning. Still takes me a while.

It was really a nice gun to shoot. My daughter will really like it if she can pry it out of my hands. :twisted:

I'll certainly try those 10mm XTPs with the Crush Ribs.

8) Yeah...I hope the trigger improves with time. :D

UC,

When I pulled the breach plug I found it to be a touch less fouled than on the PH, it seemed. And a bit easier to clean. Maybe because of the shape?

There was a bit of fouling for a couple of threads of the BP and only a little when I wiped the face of the firing pin area of the receiver. I did not remove the firing pin after shooting.

I was using CCI209m primers. Shot about 25 shots all together.

Can't recall who or where it was posted, but someone complained of those Durasight bases not holding solidly due to the coating on them. If your groups don't tighten up, you might conisder them as a possible cause.

Those groups you shot, especially the first one, aren't bad but I think the rifle will do better. Please don't take that as an insult, isn't meant that way at all.

No, no insult taken. I was happy to get out and shoot but at 50 yds I don't think those groups are tight at all! My Pro Hunter will shoot bullet hole into bullet hole all day at that distance...and with several different loads. It does show some potential, though. That's why I asked for load suggestions. Will be sure to try the 10mm 200gr XTPs among others.

Latest posts

Back