Measuring by Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I always measure my powder, T7 2F, in an old T/C powder measure. From there I pour it into one of the medical tubes and pack those in my shooting box or field kit. I have noticed when holding the tubes side by side there are always a few with different amounts of powder.

I'd like to try measure by weight for consistency. Do those of you who do this notice any differences in accuracy? How are you measuring? Do you use a powder measure with a dispenser or just pour a charge at a time on a scale? I'd like to keep cost low and scales are a lot cheaper than a powder measure. I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks.

You are talking about a powder that has fines[very small particles] that go to the bottom of the container and burn faster than the rest of the can. As for the difference you are referring to if you tap down the powder each time the same and use a swing or sliding top powder measure you can get them close enough that you can not see the difference. Because of the fines measuring by weight is not a perfect answer either.

I am using Black MZ in my inlines. I do weigh my charges. First I fill my volume measure set at 100 grains. I then pour that onto my powder scale. This usually weighs at about 90 grains more or less. I then adjust the weighed charge to 90 grains. Now I know I am getting a consistent powder load.

Landngroove said:

Curious if you ever run your BlkMZ thru a sieve to try for more consistent shooting....I have shot quite a few pounders of it...doesn't shoot very consistently with all the differences in granuals....at least its what I think makes it an inferior powder....now if it was granulated like 777..it wouldn't be on the shelves at that price for very long.....

Back