Mountaineer .45 1:20 twist barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I can weigh it, and count the lands. GM 54-120 knows the rifling. Maybe he will enlighten us.

Tracking# received!:dance2:. GM, have you ever weighed objects using a trigger pull gauge?

That was my guess also
.4508 sounds about right considering what i can get down my bore. If i run a bullet 3-4 times through a Lee .451 die im pretty sure i can load them. Im getting .451 on the dot with my digital caliper after 3-4 passes through the die.

. The new 45 1-20 mountaineer barrel landed today. That bare barrel weighs 4# 7.4 oz. It is 3.7 oz heavier than the 50 cal. Land to land measures .4508.
Thank you Hershal !!! The weight of that barrel has answered more than a few questions for me and more folks too !!!

Some interesting numbers

My Lehigh plug is about .025 longer than the shortened one.
My Lehigh plug has a primer pocket about .002 less deep
My Lehigh plug has a "primer snout" about .004 longer

A CCI209 using the Lehigh plug crushed .007 using my Elite bolt. OUCH!!! That is with no internals but i only tightened it with a nut driver handle....Need to check that again with it snugged down better and some Rem STS primers. I would love for the the Rem STS to work. The CCI needed a pair of hemostats to remove it from the plug. Its a bit tight before it even bottoms out too. They go in all the way in the other plug much easier.....Need to crack out my polishing compound and give the pocket a good shining.

Need to try a Win and Fed primer but for giggles i tried the bare bolt body in my DISC 45. That rifle has a Bestill plug and gets just enough crush on a Fed primer to work with the Elite bolt body im tinkering with too. It will crush a Win209 to around .005-.006 iirc.

Well the bare primer bolt falls right into battery with and without a CCI209 primer. So im not sure what exactly needs "modification" for these bolts to work in a older DISC or Extreme. Maybe mine already had the "mod" done to it? I have the action out of the stock and im certain its 100% in battery. Even though im partial to the NFPJ adapter, these bolts are pretty. They look so much nicer than the old chromed bolt bodies.

Need to try a Win and Fed primer but for giggles i tried the bare bolt body in my DISC 45. That rifle has a Bestill plug and gets just enough crush on a Fed primer to work with the Elite bolt body im tinkering with too. It will crush a Win209 to around .005-.006 iirc.

Well the bare primer bolt falls right into battery with and without a CCI209 primer. So im not sure what exactly needs "modification" for these bolts to work in a older DISC or Extreme. Maybe mine already had the "mod" done to it? I have the action out of the stock and im certain its 100% in battery. Even though im partial to the NFPJ adapter, these bolts are pretty. They look so much nicer than the old chromed bolt bodies.
Glad you said that about the bolt and the disc rifle !!! Right now my disc 50 has the chromed bolt as it is oem as of now . Im following this build VERY closely . Cant buy a longer 54 but i CAN full bore a 50 !!! :lewis:

Last edited:
Another piece of the puzzle arrived today from Buckeye Tactical. Everyone wanted more for base screws and you got less. Buckeye was $10 shipped for 20 TORX 6-48x .240 threads. I love the fact they include the thread length. They also have them in .180 thread length. Wish they had some in .220 or maybe .200. Brownwells wanted more for 12 screws. I really wanted to keep it all TORX since everything scope mount related i have is TORX.

My other screws just did not catch many threads if i used the rail and im dead set on using a rail. These new screws fit the back 3 holes perfect and the 2 fronts are just a super tiny amount too long. A few minutes sanding them down should be all it takes.
4lfhfwn.jpg

T3smulU.jpg

Another piece of the puzzle arrived today from Buckeye Tactical. Everyone wanted more for base screws and you got less. Buckeye was $10 shipped for 20 TORX 6-48x .240 threads. I love the fact they include the thread length. They also have them in .180 thread length. Wish they had some in .220 or maybe .200. Brownwells wanted more for 12 screws. I really wanted to keep it all TORX since everything scope mount related i have is TORX.

My other screws just did not catch many threads if i used the rail and im dead set on using a rail. These new screws fit the back 3 holes perfect and the 2 fronts are just a super tiny amount too long. A few minutes sanding them down should be all it takes.
4lfhfwn.jpg

T3smulU.jpg
The rail will stiffen up that reciever end big time !!! Lol , well you know what i meant even if it doesnt have one ....

Basically done now. Just need check ring torque and fit the other plug for the FPJ bolt. I could just shim one i got but i think im gunna get another Lehigh plug instead. I will set up the other plug for the RemSTS primers and the FPJ adapter. Still getting used to my new Canon cam but the pics look pretty good.

Lehigh picatinny rail (bedded w/JB Weld)
Contessa light weight 1" picatinny rings (lows)...REALLY nice double cross bar rings too.
Extreme TH stock (bedded and fork slightly shimmed)
Elite bolt internals in the Knight bare primer bolt body
Lehigh bare primer plug
Older Knight competition grade trigger. NOT a Timney but its a great trigger.
Vortex DB HP 3x12x42
wOqVLxM.jpg

cNSz9o5.jpg

EVKtzjK.jpg

rfKIql3.jpg

Back