My new CVA Optima V2 Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....I wonder why they don't make the plugs to fit without all of this do it your self stuff? :huh?:
Theoretically, their system is one that precisely fits each plug to each rifle. This can result in zero blow by, between the barrel, and the nose of the plug, without using tape, or grease. A perfect fit would not be likely if all plugs were made to fit all barrels e.g. TC plugs - rifles, or Knight plugs - rifles.

Muley Hunter said:
I just remembered another way I used to tighten a new breech plug. I used the handle of a pair of pliers. Just stick the end of one of the handles on the plier in the slot. The same slot you put the wrench in. It works good, is free, and won't bugger up the knurled part of the breech plug from using channel locks.

That would work just fine with the pliers.

Muley Hunter said:
Well, we've all been getting ripped off. I bought 4 CVA BP's and none came with a wrench. The only one was a Western.

btw..A tibit you may not know. Western designed the BH 209 breech plug and CVA copied it.

Both my CVA "Blackhorn" plug, and my Blackhorn 209 plug from Western came with the wrench.

Actually, Western Powders designed the Blackhorn Breech Plug and GAVE the print and plug to CVA, and said make as many as you want. CVA was very reluctant at first, because they were in bed with Hodgdon/IMR White Hots. Customer demand/pressure for a reliable Blackhorn 209/loose powder Breech Plug finally brought them to their senses. They did drag their feet for around a year, however.

The OEM CVA Pellet Plug can be converted to use a vent liner for shooting Blackhorn 209 very reliably as well. Not to mention, the #31drill opens the 3mm flame channel to a tick over 5/32", which allows several more shots before having to cut out the primer carbon.

LaTuFu said:
I have some 290s, I am planning to try them just to see how the gun likes them.

But the majority of the places I hunt are treestand shots in the woods. 100 yards is a really long shot in those stands. Most of my shots are 50-75 at the most. I put down many a deer with a DRT shot out of the loaner MK85 I was using with 240gr hollow points. I think you're right, the 250s will get the job done. (That's Plan A, anyway)

I am in Virginia as well, and most of my shots are within 100 yards. Thick creek bottoms bordered by loblolly pines / hardwoods are my most common terrain. I used to use Barnes (MZ-Expanders to be exact) in my CVA Accura V2, and Barnes makes a superb bullet without a doubt.

That said, I switched to Knight Bloodlines ( https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/bloodline-50-cal-250-grain-muzzleloader-bullets/ ) on a suggestion made on this board, and the switch was a good decision. I know that one cannot always know how a deer will react when hit, but this bullet has been flawless at preventing any need for tracking a deer. I have never enjoyed tracking a deer through a recent cutover with 6-8 feet briars throughout. They come with MMP HPH-24 sabots, but as suggested earlier, due to our typically warmer muzzleloader season, I would suggest replacing them with the tougher Harvester sabots ( https://www.harvestermuzzleloading....abot-for-451-452-cal-300-grain-or-less-bullet ) that are more consistent when its a little warmer.

By the way, the Winchester blue box 209 primers ( https://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-reg-Shotgun-Primers/741165.uts )also just about eliminate any blowback I get from the primer, due to their length. I prefer not to shim anything, personally, and these primers worked best for me.

ronlaughlin said:
.....I wonder why they don't make the plugs to fit without all of this do it your self stuff? :huh?:
Theoretically, their system is one that precisely fits each plug to each rifle. This can result in zero blow by, between the barrel, and the nose of the plug, without using tape, or grease. A perfect fit would not be likely if all plugs were made to fit all barrels e.g. TC plugs - rifles, or Knight plugs - rifles.

Exactly! Love the idea of custom fitting your breech plug to your individual barrel, for zero blowback into the threads.

I still remember the first time I removed my Blackhorn breech plug after a lengthy range session with the teflon tape in the threads, and my large o-ring for the shoulder. Made me LOL. :lol: Now, it's just oil on the threads.

Still puts a grin on my face whenever I run across that old picture. The 7 year grin! :D

Attachments

• 192.jpg
    192.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 314
Kid in a candy store method of sighting in. I went in the pasture behind my house, set up a Target down range. Was around 50-ish yards. I forgot my measuring tape so I used a rangefinder on my mobile phone. Definitely not the most accurate way to walk off a Target. It's been raining 4 days, so the ground was too wet to shoot prone. I shot off bags on the hood of my truck. In other words, this was about as Rough and Tumble of a shooting setup as I've ever done.

100 grains by volume Blackhorn, Barnes 250 grain TEZ and magnum cci primer.

When I have a chance to set up a proper Target and have a proper shooting session, I'll make adjustments. For now I'm just happy to have put some lead down range and had some fun with it.
0969909637a2936bda59911576aad433.jpg

I just got my Accura V2 LR 2 weeks ago and have been to the range trying to develop loads.

My PowerBelt’s were erratic and I tried working up from 80g to 120g Pyrodex at. 50yds and couldn’t get a good group

Hornady 300g SST low drag over 90 blackhorn 209 (or 110 Pyrodex RS) worked great. It’s been really fun playing with and I got a great group out at 100yds with them today.

My replacement blackhorn plug came with the tool (bought from amazon)

I tried a maxiball development but grouping was too big on >100g pyrodex. I read today I should drop down to 80.

I’ll be trying the Barnes 250 and the Great Plains 385 and hope to have 3 loads dialed in on both powders at some point.

Congrats on your optima. Keep posting as it feels good knowing someone’s is learning on their rifle at the sameness time I am on mine.

BTW academy sports has 20 Hornady 300g sst for $14 right now with free shipping. So 70c a load plus powder if they work for you. Worth finding a box locally and trying it out. I stocked up.

I'll be going out this morning to sight in and fine tune a load.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

I'll post my results when I get back.

I took out my Accura v2 yesterday and started to try some Deep Curl 300 gr bullets at 90, 100, and 110 gr of blackhorn and the shorter black non crushrib sabots. First 2 shots were very tight to start and the 3rd stuck in the barrel. I had to dump the load and knock it out from the back. Gonna go back and try the reg crush ribs next.

I'm going to wait until after deer season to work on different loads. For now I'm happy to have it dialed in with no issues.

Here's my 3 shot group after adjusting the scope.

50 yards, 100 grain/vol BH209, Magnum CCI 209 Primer and Barnes 250gr TEZ. No barrel swabs between shots. Shooting off of bags, no sled.

Just missed the bull on my cold shot, 2d and 3d touching each other.

My son's first two shots he ever took with a black powder rifle is the second picture.
71716f03bedb5992ea54137d52bfdcfd.jpg
a7d47dd5728de943cd533e64a16d18d8.jpg

My optima didn't come with the wrench, also think they needed to add shims to the plug for the fire pin as the pin as sticking way out and the gun had massive blow back issues. Personally didn't enjoy that gun, then I broke it ( clean that fire pin assembly out people lol)

My accura Mr came with the wrench.

Anyways hope it works out for you. Those tez 290gr shoot great in my Mr with 110 gr of blackhorn and cci 209m.

Back