New Bullet to Test (The 395 Grain SPHP)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Sdporter Sent me a Group of these to Test, This Bullet Has me Excited! It’s like the Lyman Gould on Steroids :) These will be Shot Through my 1:28 Twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel

This is an AWESOME Looking Bullet!! I named it the 395 Grain SPHP (Stacey Porter Hollow Point)
iAUcCkyl.jpg

o7vUzpWl.jpg

I hope they shoot good for ya Lewis! I just got started squaring up some blocks for a (hopefully) copy of that for you.

Lewis, that looks a lot like the bullets from your 50-385M mold except these are hollow points. They look great !

Funny you mention it, That is actually the Bullet/Mold Stacey Chose to Copy and ad a Hollow Point to, I was waiting for 1 of you guy’s to Spot that, GOOD EYE Saxton :lewis:

I woke up to a Fresh Coat of Snow this Morning, probably 4-6 inches the best i can See? I am gonna load up and go Do some Bullet testing, I plan to test my New Paper Patch Bullet in my GM LRH 45 cal 1:30 Twist, And Now this new .50 Cal Bullet, Along with the Little 262 Grain Lee R.E.A.L.s

Then you know it’s going to shoot good and be devastating on game! All Stacy needs to do is make another pin to cast solids.😄
That would probably push the weight to about 420 grains. Which would be super! I increased the diameter to drop at .510 cause I have one White that I size .5075 for, that’s why they’re a little on the heavy side. Plus, I haven’t got it exactly figured out on the shrinkage factor yet, I can get it pretty darn close, but I opt to go a little larger, rather than scrap and start over😜

Stacy, you mentioned increasing the diameter ,did you change the length also ?

Those bullets look fantastic!
SDPorter sure makes a nice mold... even with a left hand sprue cutter...
I will be waiting impatiently for the shooting results...
Sam A.

A couple of questions for Mr. Porter?

Does the ogive flow down to meet the top band? What is the ratio of the four bands total width to the bullet's length? Is the 395 grain weight for a bullet in pure lead?

Is there any possibility of purchasing one of these moulds? I would be really, Really, REALLY, REALLY interested in doing so.

I also own a Green Mountain, .50 caliber × 1-28" twist, LRH barrel, and this bullet seems just about perfect as to weight versus recoil when taking my osteoarthritis into consideration.

P.s.
It is a beautiful looking bullet. If it performs as well as it appears, then it should be incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of questions for Mr. Porter?

Does the ogive flow down to meet the top band? What is the ratio of the four bands total width to the bullet's length? Is the 395 grain weight for a bullet in pure lead?

Is there any possibility of purchasing one of these moulds? I would be really, Really, REALLY, REALLY interested in doing so.

I also own a Green Mountain, .50 caliber × 1-28" twist, LRH barrel, and this bullet seems just about perfect as to weight versus recoil when taking my osteoarthritis into consideration.

P.s.
It is a beautiful looking bullet. If it performs as well as it appears, then it should be incredible.
Yes the ogive flows into the top band.
.525 from the base to the top of the band on the ogive, to .805 overall length.
They weigh 391-392 cast out of sheet lead.
Yes you can purchase one but, I have all manual machines, no CNC, so the labor to make one is rather intensive. You’re most economical way to acquire one would be through Accurate Molds. It is basically the 50-385M that I added a hollow point to. If you have a local machine shop that could do your pin, that would be the most economical way to go.
I primarily build the molds for my own use. Im not really set up to mass produce them.
Thank you for the compliment. I think it looks like a shooter as well!
I haven’t tried it yet. Hopefully this weekend.
I built the mold based off of Snapbang’s request, and, it sounded like a bullet I’d like to shoot myself.
If it shot well for him, he wanted to purchase a few hundred of them, so it was worth my time.
His inaugural outing with it didn’t go super. I gave him a couple things to try and we’ll see what happens with it from there....
The mold alignment to the handles was a bit off, so the bullets I sent him weren’t perfectly concentric which could have contributed to the slightly dismal result he experienced. I have since corrected that and the last batch I casted are pretty close to perfect.....

Funny you mention it, That is actually the Bullet/Mold Stacey Chose to Copy and ad a Hollow Point to, I was waiting for 1 of you guy’s to Spot that, GOOD EYE Saxton :lewis:

I woke up to a Fresh Coat of Snow this Morning, probably 4-6 inches the best i can See? I am gonna load up and go Do some Bullet testing, I plan to test my New Paper Patch Bullet in my GM LRH 45 cal 1:30 Twist, And Now this new .50 Cal Bullet, Along with the Little 262 Grain Lee R.E.A.L.s
Boy old man winter sure is holding on this year! Great looking bullet by the way. Give that test the Lewis touch:lewis:

This morning was ROUGH, I got up to my Spot, Snowing like Mad! I waited for a Short while in hopes of it letting up, NOT A CHANCE, But I wasn’t about to leave without Shooting :) I had a Tougher time getting a Good Sight picture With it Snowing, But my Shots Felt Good.

My View leaving out this morning, Fresh Snow, and Dark Skies
VayJWlel.jpg

Target was a bit Farther out (100 Yards, or VERY Close abouts) My County Pushed Snow Burm/Backstop Has melted, there is a Water Bar Farther Back that i was Able to Get my Target to Stand Good.

80 Grains of Swiss 2F, This Group of Bullets was Cast of an Alloy, I cannot Remember What Stacey told me they were? Anyway, I am looking forward to Shooting this Bullet Cast of PURE SOFT Lead, Just like we do the Lyman Gould. For the EXTREME Conditions i was Dealing with this Morning, This being The New Bullets Trial Run, All went Well, This Bullet Is DEFINITELY Gonna Shoot :lewis:

About a 2” Group, my Cold Clean Bore Shot is the Top one. I can’t explain the odd 2 Shot Group Shift? My Shots Felt Good, But as i Said Above, it was Snowing HARD, and Visibility was a Challenge
7UCzNKzm.jpg

Idaholewis

I know that shooting isn't up to your normal standards, but considering the conditions, it's OK for 100 yds and a new bullet that you've never shot before.

I know that you live in northern Idaho, how close to Canada are you?

Back