New Bullet to Test (The 395 Grain SPHP)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next target 75 weight grains Swiss. White, swab and wad on each shot. Last four of ten for this rifle.

Attachments

• 8CCF24F9-56BF-4A28-8372-6949944128E7.jpeg
    8CCF24F9-56BF-4A28-8372-6949944128E7.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
Last target Accura 85 Weight grains Swiss. The circled shot was from the 85 grain no wad no swab group which only had one on target. Didn’t want to waste paper, so shot the last 4 at the same target. All were shot on clean bore with an over powder wad.

Attachments

• 4BAF4175-DCD7-4366-9C0E-E236377DB36B.jpeg
    4BAF4175-DCD7-4366-9C0E-E236377DB36B.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
Last target. Not the same bullet. I shot two TC East glide 200 grain bullets from the White using 90 grains volume Pyrodex P. Only one hit paper and is circled. Then shot 3 from the Accura, Remington 250 grain bullet 120 grains volume BH209. Swabbed between each shot. Just did this as a reference to see how much wind may have had an effect. The little hollow point DEFINITELY likes a clean bore....

Attachments

• AD5C7A10-1E6B-4CC8-9357-E785CDD8D7BB.jpeg
    AD5C7A10-1E6B-4CC8-9357-E785CDD8D7BB.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
The Accura is definitely a dirtier gun to shoot. The difference in the first patch between it and the White was incredible. I know Doc liked a shallow rifling in his barrels. Probably the reason why. Patch on right is Accura. And this was one of the cleaner ones. I threw most of them away before I thought to snap a picture.

Attachments

• 6ED903C5-443C-4DAC-9FED-B3E5FC284E07.jpeg
    6ED903C5-443C-4DAC-9FED-B3E5FC284E07.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4
Good Stuff Stacey! I Swab Between EVERY SINGLE Shot, And i do so exactly the Same Shot After Shot, 2 Damp, 2 Dry. Since i shoot Bench/Target pretty much Exclusively i am After CONSISTENCY, i want EVERY Shot as close as i can possibly Make them to Eachother. Same with my powder Charges, they are ALL weighed by Weight on a Scale to EXACTLY the Same.

Good Stuff Stacey! I Swab Between EVERY SINGLE Shot, And i do so exactly the Same Shot After Shot, 2 Damp, 2 Dry. Since i shoot Bench/Target pretty much Exclusively i am After CONSISTENCY, i want EVERY Shot as close as i can possibly Make them to Eachother. Same with my powder Charges, they are ALL weighed by Weight on a Scale to EXACTLY the Same.
I was wetting each side of the patch LIGHTLY with Dollat Tree window cleaner, run it down and back, flip it over and down and back. Same with the dry patch, down and back, flip it, down and back.

The dirty bore shots were in the same vicinity with the White, so I feel ok about a dirty bore follow up shot. I should have plotted 1st, 2nd, 3rd shot on the dirty bore... oh well another day...

I’m really liking this Swiss!!! No dirtier than the subs, and ignition is RIGHT NOW!!!!

Me Shooting Swiss Real Blackpowder from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, I would be SICK if i had to mess with the Substitute powders. I have tinkered with them some, But they are Just NOT in the Same league as Swiss Real Blackpowder. With the Sub powders such as Pyrodex a Guy has to Mess with Nipple Flash Hole Size to get Reliable ignition, and even then i Stil had Slight Hang Fires. I am VERY Thankful to live so Close to Swiss Real Blackpowder

Goex isnt even on the same planet id say !!! Thats all thats local and difficult to just walk in and buy here . Im very pleased the testing went a bit better !!!.

Me Shooting Swiss Real Blackpowder from my Beginning in Muzzleloading, I would be SICK if i had to mess with the Substitute powders. I have tinkered with them some, But they are Just NOT in the Same league as Swiss Real Blackpowder. With the Sub powders such as Pyrodex a Guy has to Mess with Nipple Flash Hole Size to get Reliable ignition, and even then i Stil had Slight Hang Fires. I am VERY Thankful to live so Close to Swiss Real Blackpowder
Yeah I noticed with Pyrodex and my new nipple conversion, I had a slight, very slight, but there still, hang fire. With the Black MZ it was instant, but I can’t get that stuff to group for me. At all. The Swiss was instant!!

What size is your flash hole Stacy ?? Subs get finiky about flash holes . I have heard that Black mz isnt real consistant too . Aside from that i think the wind is a factor for you on this test . The wads helped .

Last edited:
I overlaid the target I shot with the White swabbing and using a wad, on top of the target I shot with the same rifle shot on a dirty bore and marked an X through the center of the holes. I think that shot in the center of the x’s was the first shot on the dirty bore... I wish I would have marked them in order, or filmed it.... not a bad four shot group...

Attachments

• A5843BA7-438C-434D-BAEA-3D57621D4C1A.jpeg
    A5843BA7-438C-434D-BAEA-3D57621D4C1A.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
What size is your flash hole Stacy ??
It’s a Treso nipple, in my version of Jeff’ and Ed’s breechplug. I believe it’s .028”
I know it’s recommended for the subs to go .032”

Attachments

• 36CD8829-F8AF-4AF9-B2C8-9065D6A20C66.jpeg
    36CD8829-F8AF-4AF9-B2C8-9065D6A20C66.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 4
Goex isnt even on the same planet id say !!! Thats all thats local and difficult to just walk in and buy here . Im very pleased the testing went a bit better !!!.
I bought Goex, Scheutzen, and Swiss. Plan on ding testing between the three. I have no doubt who will be the front runner. Should be an interesting experiment nonetheless..
Dang auto correct.. “doing”. Edited...

Nice lookin plug . Subs usually like .o31 or .o32 ive found best .
Thanks! I made a small tool to remove the nipple from the recess. I wanted full thread on the plug, is why I did it that way. No doubt Jeff’s plug will be fine,or he wouldn’t be selling it. I’m just a little OCD at times..

Latest posts

Back