New Bullet to Test (The 395 Grain SPHP)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I do have a set of thread measuring wires though and some .032” drill bits I used to make the breech plug for my Austin and Halleck..
Have you sluged them bores or smashed a round ball in the barrel and measured it ?? Im wondering just how the fit is exactly .

Thanks! I made a small tool to remove the nipple from the recess. I wanted full thread on the plug, is why I did it that way. No doubt Jeff’s plug will be fine,or he wouldn’t be selling it. I’m just a little OCD at times..
I pulled it this morning after ten shots through the rifle yesterday, and it pulled right out. Shot 12 shots through it tonight and just used one wrap of Teflon tape on it. No lube. Be interesting to see what it looks like in the morning when I clean the gun. Haven’t had a chance to lap it in yet...

Have you sluged them bores or smashed a round ball in the barrel and measured it ??
I did take a bullet and kinda mash it a little with a hammer then shove it through on my White I shot tonight. I got .5075-.508. The bullets are sized dead nuts .5075 and feel just right on a clean barrel. Push down easy like, but don’t find any loose spots. On a foiled bire, they slide down until you get about an inch from full seated depth. Then you gotta lean on it a little bit...

I pulled it this morning after ten shots through the rifle yesterday, and it pulled right out. Shot 12 shots through it tonight and just used one wrap of Teflon tape on it. No lube. Be interesting to see what it looks like in the morning when I clean the gun. Haven’t had a chance to lap it in yet...
That was the first time it’s EVER come out easy, but also the first time I’ve ever shot real black through the gun..

I did take a bullet and kinda mash it a little with a hammer then shove it through on my White I shot tonight. I got .5075-.508. The bullets are sized dead nuts .5075 and feel just right on a clean barrel. Push down easy like, but don’t find any loose spots. On a foiled bire, they slide down until you get about an inch from full seated depth. Then you gotta lean on it a little bit...
Nice barrel . Ok i was wondering what the clearance was .

That was the first time it’s EVER come out easy, but also the first time I’ve ever shot real black through the gun..
Thats a miracle right there !!! Lol !!! Be carefull with black !!! It can REALLY TIGHTEN UP A PLUG !!!! Seal that one up and give it no time to set . You got tape so thats you saving grace there !!!

Nice barrel . Ok i was wondering what the clearance was .
I like it to just touch the lands all the way down. I’ve never had one move off the powder. I transport them in the truck barrel down and loaded when I’m hunting. I ALWAYS run my ramrod down and make sure it’s still seated before I leave the truck and take off on a hike. And I’ll do that here and there whilst hiking occasionally, just to make sure...never had one slip.

I like it to just touch the lands all the way down. I’ve never had one move off the powder. I transport them in the truck barrel down and loaded when I’m hunting. I ALWAYS run my ramrod down and make sure it’s still seated before I leave the truck and take off on a hike. And I’ll do that here and there whilst hiking occasionally, just to make sure...never had one slip.
I know guys have had them slip. In fact I have a Super 91 with a little loose spot in the barrel, up about an inch from full loaded depth. I bought the gun used, actually traded a $175 chainsaw for it. The guy just shot NoExcuses bullets out of it. This is an older, one of Docs first, Super 91’s serial number in the 300’s. And the barrel is just like the barrel I was shooting tonight. .507-.508 on the lands. NOT, .504... I’m sure he had one slip on him is why the barrel is loose right there...I’m gonna try one of my new designed bullets and see how it shoots, if it don’t, gonna rebates it in .41
Edit “rebarrel”. WTH is rebates????

Hope Lewis dont mind we are all gabby late at nite on here .

:roll: You have my permission, Carry on

pDJlOIw.jpg

I got mine in that 410 a little over bore size by knurling . I use BLL lube too . Thats what mine liked . Mz's sure can get particular !!!
Is yours a Super 91? That’s what Docs team one all the contests with. .410 Super 91. I’d love to have one. I passed on one about a year ago cause I didn’t have any Benjamin’s at the time... Shoulda financed it. Lol

Is yours a Super 91? That’s what Docs team one all the contests with. .410 Super 91. I’d love to have one. I passed on one about a year ago cause I didn’t have any Benjamin’s at the time... Shoulda financed it. Lol
Yep thats "Mighty Whitey" !!! Says so right on the buttstock too !!! Lol

First target 80 weight gns Swiss, clean between each shot, over powder wad. All billets are cast of Sheet lead and weigh within 0.3 grains of each other. 1:24 White. Wind on all targets was at my back blowing slight left to right about 10 mph. I knew this load hit high is why the target is upside down...

As Lew stated nothing wrong with that group. Now try adding 5 more grains and see what happens, and sizing the bullet a little larger etc to see if you can shrink it even more. But I would be happy if it shot like that all of the time. The deer won't be though. :D

No, I do have a set of thread measuring wires though and some .032” drill bits I used to make the breech plug for my Austin and Halleck..
I misread your reply, I was thinking you were asking about pin gauges for the flash hole, it says right there “bores”

I misread your reply, I was thinking you were asking about pin gauges for the flash hole, it says right there “bores”
Small hole guages work beautiful for this . I have a Starrett set . Wish i could find some bigger than the .510 or so my largest one will adjust to . Id like another one with a .500 to .600 range ability . They come 100/200 , 200/300 , 300/400 , 400/500 in a set . Sized pins go bigger but arent real handy or totally precise to take to look at a new gun prospect and measure it there . I got my set off of ebay pretty cheap used . Nice tools for a rifle !!! No guesswork !!!

Last edited:
Back