New Bullshop (similar) .50 Cal bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I tried the new Bullshop similar bullet this morning, i was out of my Swiss 2F powder that i always shoot in this .50 Cal, so i tried 80 Grains of Swiss 3F, the rifle didn't care for it. This Stainless .50 is by far and away the nicest/easiest rifle i own to clean, but on the flip side it is the most finicky gun i own. This rifle has always prefered hard lead, the harder the better, these new bullets that i just tried are soft lead. My next trip to BACO i will be getting a lead pot full of 1:40 8.5 BHN (or there abouts) and a can of my tried and trued Swiss 2F, i will revisit this .50 then. The few of these that i had made up will go back in the lead pot.

This is absolutely horrible for this rifle! I really wish this barrel was the blued version, my 2 Blued LRH barrels will shoot soft lead, hard lead, powder changes etc. But Everything has to be just right for this Stainless LRH barrel, not a big deal, just a pain to have to drain my lead pot over 1 rifle.

I wish i had tested hardness of the actual Bullshop bullets when i had them (I suspect they have some hardness in them?) but i only had 4, i shot a 3 shot group and was so pleased with it that i sent the 4th bullet to Tom at Accurate molds to do his best at duplicating it. I will email Dan at Bullshop and ask him, here is the actual Bullshop bullet group that i shot, Quite a difference in this, and this mornings shooting!

Wow, you're not kidding. Can you post a side by side picture of the two bullets? I think if I found a bullet that shot consistently like that Bullshop bullet, I wouldn't be looking for anything else.

Idaholewis, I still have plenty of the original Bullshops that I gave to you. I can send you a few so you can test them for hardness. Then you can try and match it in your lead pot.

Harleysboss said:
Idaholewis, I still have plenty of the original Bullshops that I gave to you. I can send you a few so you can test them for hardness. Then you can try and match it in your lead pot.

I appreciate it, but No need to do that, i know this Rifle pretty darn well! It is, and always has been finicky with lead hardness, it has always preferred a harder bullet. I was hoping it would shoot pure lead like my other 10 rifles, but NO DICE! I have tried it before and always get mediocre results. I have a love-hate relationship with this Stainless barrel, i LOVE cleaning it, and the rugged durability of the Stainless, but what a nuisance to deal with emptying my lead pot over 1 gun, After owning this Barrel i would never pay a penny more for the Stainless version, at one time i would have in a heartbeat, But I have since learned better! Once i harden the lead this Stainless barrel has always shot REALLY TIGHT groups, But no better than my blued versions, and my blued versions are not at all finicky, i can shoot a rock hard bullet, or a dead soft bullet in them, the only change is Point of Impact.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Wow, you're not kidding. Can you post a side by side picture of the two bullets? I think if I found a bullet that shot consistently like that Bullshop bullet, I wouldn't be looking for anything else.

I wanted to be able to make them instead of having to buy them, so i had a mold made. I am confident there is nothing wrong with the bullet i had made, i would place a bet this is a lead hardness issue, and/or Powder, the Bullshop group was shot with 2F, i was out of it so i tried 80 Grains of 3F, My bet is heavier toward the lead hardness, Me and this barrel have danced together a fair amount, i know what she likes. Just a nuisance when everything else i own shoots either or.

Here are the 2 bullets, unfortunately I can not do a side by side since I don't have anymore original Bullshop bullets, but i can assure you that they are EXTREMELY close!! I sent Tom at Accurate molds an original Bullshop bullet to do his best at duplicating. Tom is as accurate on his molds as his Co name implies.

Original bullshop bullet

And the Copy of the Bullshop bullet (or EXTREMELY close to it!)

The noses look longer on the bullet i had made, but i can assure ya it's not, just the camera Angle of the Dangle, they are EXTREMELY close! The only thing different is the 2nd and 3rd lube grooves have a slight angle to them on the original Bullshop bullet for easier loading (you cant see that here due to the lube) Every band diameter is literally identical, Meplat, nose radius, base, etc.

Again, I'll bet its a lead hardness issue

Idaholewis said:
I tried the new Bullshop similar bullet this morning, i was out of my Swiss 2F powder that i always shoot in this .50 Cal, so i tried 80 Grains of Swiss 3F, the rifle didn't care for it. This Stainless .50 is by far and away the nicest/easiest rifle i own to clean, but on the flip side it is the most finicky gun i own. This rifle has always prefered hard lead, the harder the better, these new bullets that i just tried are soft lead. My next trip to BACO i will be getting a lead pot full of 1:40 8.5 BHN (or there abouts) and a can of my tried and trued Swiss 2F, i will revisit this .50 then. The few of these that i had made up will go back in the lead pot.

This is absolutely horrible for this rifle! I really wish this barrel was the blued version, my 2 Blued LRH barrels will shoot soft lead, hard lead, powder changes etc. But Everything has to be just right for this Stainless LRH barrel, not a big deal, just a pain to have to drain my lead pot over 1 rifle.
IMG_676.jpg

Gee! my stainless LRH shoot just about everything like a dream. I have and do shoot Bull Shop 350's, 400's and 460's from it, also Dave's No Excuse 460's. I did find that I got the best accuracy with 90 grains of T7.

The Bull Shop 460 mold is made by Mountain Molds - what is yours?

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

IMG_676.jpg

Gee! my stainless LRH shoot just about everything like a dream. I have and do shoot Bull Shop 350's, 400's and 460's from it, also Dave's No Excuse 460's. I did find that I got the best accuracy with 90 grains of T7.

The Bull Shop 460 mold is made by Mountain Molds - what is yours?

Your Stainless barrel shoots dead soft lead good?

This barrel has always been finicky with pure soft lead, i have definitely shot it better than today with soft lead, but it has never been what I would consider very good, when the lead hardness gets bumped up is when this barrel REALLY SHINES! I have shot many super tight groups with it, but always with harder lead. Ron and i talked about this awhile back and he told me his Stainless barrel prefers a little harder bullet as well, Ron runs his lead in the 8 BHN range.

Sabotloader, i missed the bottom question in your post. This one was made by Accurate Molds, Dan of Bullshop explained to me that he thought Mountain Molds had changed their software or something to that nature? Bullshop Dan didn't think Mountain Molds could stil duplicate the bullet exactly in the lube groove part, So i went with Accurate molds since i have done a fair amount of business with Tom and his work has always been top shelf. The only thing different in my bullet and the original Bullshop is the slightly rounded 2nd and 3rd lube Grooves. The bands of my bullet Caliper measure EXACTLY the same as Dans Bullshop bullet, and my bullet weighs 460 Grains, it is as close of a match as could be made. I am confident the bullet will shoot just as good with a bit of hardness added

Idaholewis said:
Sabotloader, i missed the bottom question in your post. This one was made by Accurate Molds, Dan of Bullshop explained to me that he thought Mountain Molds had changed their software or something to that nature? Bullshop Dan didn't think Mountain Molds could stil duplicate the bullet exactly in the lube groove part, So i went with Accurate molds since i have done a fair amount of business with Tom and his work has always been top shelf. The only thing different in my bullet and the original Bullshop is the slightly rounded 2nd and 3rd lube Grooves. The bands of my bullet Caliper measure EXACTLY the same as Dans Bullshop bullet, and my bullet weighs 460 Grains, it is as close of a match as could be made. I am confident the bullet will shoot just as good with a bit of hardness added

OK - so now you get me thinking... I assume you have but I want to asked - have you shot the 460's or any of the soft lead from the LRH bare bone? No patching with a wad under the bullet. I on the other hand have never shot a paper patch.

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

OK - so now you get me thinking... I assume you have but I want to asked - have you shot the 460's or any of the soft lead from the LRH bare bone? No patching with a wad under the bullet. I on the other hand have never shot a paper patch.

Sabotloader, Yep, bare bone (just the lube in the grooves) No paper patching these guys, The only other thing i have done here is use a wool over powder wad, The Bullshop 460s shot darn good for me! I suspicion the Bullshop bullets have some amount of Hardness in them? I contacted Dan through email last night, his response was that he tries to use as close to pure lead as possible, but does also use soldered joints. I just made up some Harder Bullets today from my new mold, around 8-8.5 BHN, i am fairly confident they will shoot good, i would almost bet on it, but not quite! LOL
Like i said, this Stainless LRH barrel has always preferred lead with some hardness to it, This barrel has NEVER shot dead soft lead bullets very well. On the other hand my 2 Blued LRH barrels will shoot either Soft, or Hardened bullets equally well, the only change i see from soft lead to harder lead in my blued barrels is a change in Point of impact, and it's quite noticeable, but accuracy is great.

The other BIG difference was powder, i was using 95 weight grains of Swiss 2F blackpowder with the Bullshop bullets that shot so well, i was out of the 2F the day i tried the bullets from my new mold so i used 80 Weight grains of 3F powder, I will be charging over to Buffalo Arms first thing in the morning and getting a Can of my tried and trued Swiss 2F powder. Between that and lead hardness, i guess it's no wonder? My 2 Blued LRH barrels have proven to be MUCH MUCH more forgiving than this Stainless LRH

I found the 95 Weight Grain load for this barrel by lucky chance the very first time out with it, i had pre weighed my charges the night before and chose 95 weight Grains, The rifle shot AMAZING! The bullets were the Lee S&W 500 Bullets paper patched the way Idahoron does them. But my lead was harder, those bullets were in the 9-9.5 BHN range, I didn't know it at the time, but i ended up buying a Cabin Tree lead hardness tester and i tested those particular bullets, they had age hardened from sitting for a year and i had a HECK of a time with those bullets in a sizing die! But Thats another story! Moral of the story is this Stainless rifle has always shot harder lead bullets, soft lead has never been good in it. I am confident The harder bullets i just made up today will work much better in the Ole Girl

Harleysboss said:
Dont forget to pick me up 3 nipples while at BACO :yeah:

That's on the list, hopefully they have them back in stock? I know they were out of them not long ago. Ron and i was talking earlier about cap fit on these Treso nipples, be aware that cci no. 11s fit a bit loose on the Treso's, I just now checked the RWS 1075s and they fit good, i was able to get it back off but had to work at it a little. The 1075s actually stand for 10-3/4

I recently changed over to Treso nipples on my TC and found I had to file open my nipple wrench for it to fit over the square shoulder. Have you guys seen this issue. It's very minute.

Magnum said:
I recently changed over to Treso nipples on my TC and found I had to file open my nipple wrench for it to fit over the square shoulder. Have you guys seen this issue. It's very minute.

Yep! I had to open up my TC claw/hammer wrench just a tiny bit as well, i have a ratcheting Ted Cash wrench that fits them fine without any modification. It's a super easy fix! I opened mine with my dremel tool and a light grinding wheel, it doesn't take much.

I got a chance to revisit this bullet with harder lead, as I suspected the tune TOTALLY changed! While I've definitely shot better groups this tells me that my new bullet is gonna work great! I have No doubt the original Bullshop bullets that i shot so well have some degree of hardness to them, as to how much? I don't know since I don't have anymore to test them. This Stainless LRH 50 will tattletale on a hard, or soft bullet in a HOT SECOND! If it shoots like dynamite the bullets have some degree of hardness, and if it shoots a pie plate size group you can pretty much be gauranteed the bullets are soft lead

I tried Pyrodex P this morning and here it is, just barely over a 1 inch group

This was yesterday, i tried 70 Grains of Swiss 3F and here it is, the 3 shots minus the cold clean bore looks to be a true 1 inch

And my last group i had the most hope in, this rifle has always done VERY well with 95 Weight grains of Swiss 2F, had i not screwed up the 1 shot this group would have duplicated the Original Bullshop bullet or rivaled it

Back