New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the shotgun zone the AR platform pistol is legal as long as it doesn't have any kind of stock extension or can be shot from the shoulder, so why not this Lehigh?

If the ATF says its a ML its totally legal to cut down the barrel and add a pistol grip instead of a buttstock. If it dont require a form 4473 you can do pretty much anything you wish.

Here in the shotgun zone the AR platform pistol is legal as long as it doesn't have any kind of stock extension or can be shot from the shoulder, so why not this Lehigh?

It would be perfectly legal in the firearms season. But in the ML season our DNR says that "Muzzleloaders can not be loaded at the breech". I just don't see how they are going to accept this as a ML.

Many states from what ive seen say it too. Mine does not specify if its bullet, powder or both but it sure sounds like both to me. Our "rangers" can confiscate every single hunting related thing you have on you if caught. And you wont get it back until you are found innocent in court. I know of guys that lost ATVs when caught violating our hunting laws. They dont play around here.

I am disappointed also, I have migrated away from break action guns, l hunt with knight and omegas these days. I am still going to give the 45 fast twist ultra lite some serious thought on Veterans Day if they have a sale. I would definitely buy a cva Accura MR if they would make it in a 45 fast twist, oh well time will tell if it was a good idea

Any idea yet from ATF what it will be classified as? Are they considering it a muzzleloader?

I recall Dick Casull had a muzzleloader that had a turret you loaded at the breech and fired using paper caps Cool concept

Any idea yet from ATF what it will be classified as? Are they considering it a muzzleloader?

I called today and it’s been around a year now. It could be another month or two, but the laws/rules are pretty clear. I have no doubt it will be classified a Muzzleloader which anyone can read. But time will tell

This is what New York State say a muzzleloader for hunting is:

“A muzzleloading rifle or pistol (including smoothbore muzzleloaders) loaded through the muzzle, shooting a single projectile and having a bore of .44 inches or larger. Double-barreled muzzleloaders and percussion cap revolvers are not legal during the special muzzleloading season. If you hunt with a single-shot muzzleloading pistol, you must have a New York State Pistol License. Hunters shall not have in their possession, or be accompanied by a person who has in his or her possession, a bow or firearm other than the legal muzzleloading firearm. You may use fiber-optic sights or scopes on a muzzleloading firearm at any time.”

Crazy New York laws! In New York need a firearm pistol permit for a pistol muzzleloader, and your buddy hunting with you can't have a bow!?!? I wonder if the Conservation Officers would give you a hard time if your muzzleloader rifle with a peep and brass pin.... I am confident I will never move nor hunt in New York.

From Iowa's reg book:

'MUZZLELOADERS: Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading
pistols .44 caliber or larger. Muzzleloaders equipped with electronic ignition are not allowed. In-line and disk-type muzzleloaders are allowed. Riflescopes may also be used.'

Most likely that rifle would be legal in Iowa, it's not my cup of tea though, I like to tinker with my loose powder loads.

Side note, Iowa recently made it legal for me to carry my pistol concealed and carry my bow while bowhunting. A few months ago, I renewed my carry concealed permit, I handed the nice lady a check for $25, showed her my onetime online training certificate, filled out my form, and received my new permit a week later.

Side note, Iowa recently made it legal for me to carry my pistol concealed and carry my bow while bowhunting. A few months ago, I renewed my carry concealed permit, I handed the nice lady a check for $25, showed her my onetime online training certificate, filled out my form, and received my new permit a week later.
Nice price. Here in Michigan its gonna cost me $115 to renew my cpl.

All pistol permits in NY are for conceled carry unless you have a special permit. I don't know the laws for NY City, but who cares not alot of good hunting spots in the city.

Back