New Portable bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great the only problem I see is the cut out is on the wrong side for us left handed shooters! 😂. Seriously give us info on how you set it up, how did you secure it to the saw horses.
I had a piece of 3/4", good both sides plywood I used for the top. Centered it in the beginning and secured it with right angle brackets and self-drilling screws to the steel sawhorse. I used 1.5" right angle brackets on the ends and 2" right angle brackets in the center. Both sides. You can see them in the last photo.........
I took a "guesstimate" on the angle cut, but cut it way short to start, which was the plan. After pulling the chair up, I found I could cut the angle longer.
I ended up taking 2" off both the outside (long side) and 2" off the front. Used a Styrofoam coffee cup to mark and cut the corners. I installed a piece for loading the bipod.

I'll have to take another snap shot tomorrow of the top. It looks much different now that it's had more time to dry. I absolutely hate a slippery bench top. Nothing worse than getting into position, ready to fire and an elbow move. So when I went over to the hardware to get a carry handle, I spied a spray can of "Stone". When it dries, its totally non-slip. Kind of like putting sand in paint. You wouldn't want to shoot without an elbow pad. Again, its ROCK SOLID and does not move, wobble or tip.

The old Caldwell Stable Table just moved/flexed way to much. Plus, it was a pain in the ask to setup. Carry over the legs and base, then the middle pole and seat, and lastly the top. If you have to go very far, that sucks. This new bench folds completely up, I grab it by the handle and everything goes with one hand. :)

I again have to thank Barry Brakebill. I shot his Paramount off his bench at a practice target, which is where the idea came from.

Last edited:
Do the rear legs interfere with your legs, or your chairs legs?
What do you think about attaching that elbow pad semi-permanently?
No issues with the legs interfering.
I guess you could attach the pad somehow, maybe with a clamp. I have elbow pads that I wear, but plan on using that pad too and see how I may like it.

Thanks for posting this. I was really interested in how you would mount the top to the horse. The way you built yours is a better method than how I built mine. I’m going to improve mine with the angle brackets you used. I feel stupid for not thinking about angle brackets in the first place. Looks great though!

Out with the old, in with the new :)

Finished the new portable bench today. ROCK SOLID!

Did I say, ROCK SOLID?

View attachment 35331

View attachment 35330

View attachment 35332

View attachment 35333
Man E, I've been racking my brain for the last couple of years trying to figure out a way to do exactly what you've done here. Most excellent idea! Hell, I didn't think of a carry handle, transport was a problem Id have to work on later.

I'm gonna borrow your idea but I definitely will tell anyone who asked that I got the idea from fellow front stuffer!
Think I'll build a laminated top this weekend!
Thanx Encore

You owe it all to your rock solid shooting bench! 😂. I would have to modify your bench to accommodate both right and left handed shooters and maybe think of a way to place wheels on it so this ole man can easily drag it.

Back