New Portable bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built three of these a few years back for myself and two friends. I’m of the three leg school nothing more stable on almost any ground. The old
‘ Shaker ‘ furniture builders always said a three legged stool never rocks and I guess that’s why tripods are so stable. Anyway there is guy over on the 24 Hour Campfire forum who makes sets of nicely made welded angled pipe brackets.

They are designed to so the legs flare out around 30° the theory is all three create tension on each other so they find stabilty. Legs are galvy 1 1/8 pipe whic should be capped some way to keep dirt out. This design is very simple to make with a circular saw, jig saw, router wIth a round over bit ( optional ), drill motor and wood bits. Of course depending on your plywood you will need some finish insuring the edges of the ply are WELL SEALED.

I apologize for what must look like poor form but I thought this would have interest.

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
One thing I’ll throw out there just from my recent experience building a bench is to use 3/4 inch thick board for the top. I’m currently replacing the top on mine because I realized quickly on the first day using it that the 1/2 inch board I originally used was too thin and flexible. It’s an inexpensive fix for me but a lesson learned.

I built three of these a few years back for myself and two friends. I’m of the three leg school nothing more stable on almost any ground. The old
‘ Shaker ‘ furniture builders always said a three legged stool never rocks and I guess that’s why tripods are so stable. Anyway there is guy over on the 24 Hour Campfire forum who makes sets of nicely made welded angled pipe brackets.

They are designed to so the legs flare out around 30° the theory is all three create tension on each other so they find stabilty. Legs are galvy 1 1/8 pipe whic should be capped some way to keep dirt out. This design is very simple to make with a circular saw, jig saw, router wIth a round over bit ( optional ), drill motor and wood bits. Of course depending on your plywood you will need some finish insuring the edges of the ply are WELL SEALED.

I apologize for what must look like poor form but I thought this would have interest.

Rick

Looks a good bit like mine. I made mine for 4 legs after thinking long and hard. For a seat I used a large, empty paint bucket.

I like both benches. I'm leaning more toward Garbler's just because that leg of the top allows for more of the butt section of the gun to rest further back. I like Encore's because it has more room on the surface. Encore's finish is just neat too.

Encore, Garbler....is it possible to get the dimensions of the tops?

Post #32 above has my dimensions. The width across the front I "fat fingered" and should read 21.5". In reality it should have been 21 1/2". Getting old.......

I have more room moving the rifle back than it appears. I actually cut 2 1/2" off it because of excess. The width at back gives me all the room I want for my elbow, allowing for a great 3pt hold. I wanted .... something .... that wouldn't allow items to slide around on the bench top, yet not feel like course sandpaper. That spray paint fits the bill perfectly. I'm not sure exactly what it is in the paint, maybe some type of rubber, but I'm sure glad I found it. One can and I was able to put two coats on the top.

Post #32 above has my dimensions. The width across the front I "fat fingered" and should read 21.5". In reality it should have been 21 1/2". Getting old.......
Ah Ha! I remember that now. Thank you again.

Looks great the only problem I see is the cut out is on the wrong side for us left handed shooters! 😂. Seriously give us info on how you set it up, how did you secure it to the saw horses.
Glad you asked for all the details for us!

I went to a sports shop called Dunham's and in the hocky/ball game area, picked up two elbow pads. Best investment I made for shooting. They never leave my shooting box until I put them on. I wouldn't be able to shoot prone without them. They are a VERY GOOD INVESTMENT for those who have never used them.
Excellent suggestion the elbow pads. Thanks!

Looks extremely solid and you’re very creative with making it portabl. Excellent wor.

Thanks.
I used to move the bench quite often, whether for brush hogging or to move it 50yds away from the backstop.
Once you pick up the back and find the tipping point it rolls quite easily.

Back