New Portable bench

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Encore,
That bench looks like the ticket! Well designed. It hasn’t been that long since you posted it Encore, but I’ll ask if there is anything you’d change?
For I’m about to copy it.
BTW, I’m thinking of attaching transporting wheels. Fixed or removable. Haven’t figured yet.
Regardless, I like it.

Encore,
That bench looks like the ticket! Well designed. It hasn’t been that long since you posted it Encore, but I’ll ask if there is anything you’d change?
BTW, I’m thinking of attaching transporting wheels. Fixed or removable. Haven’t figured yet.
Regardless, I like it.
I'm pretty darn happy with it as it is. I think I mentioned that I shot the Bushmaster off it and it's ROCK SOLID.
I just weighed it and its right at 36# and easily carried by one hand. I guess you could put removable wheels on one, but likely only if you have to move it a considerable distance. Be my luck it'd roll around on me while shooting. LOL

I like that. Years ago I built a portable shooting bench with the emphasis on light and on simple. For the top I used a piece of carpet - heavy kickers can still cause elbow burns - and used screw-on legs. It sadly got left behind on our last move.

I had my doubts about it being solid and sturdy. But it certainly was solid and sturdy, to my astonishment. I own three MOA rifles and when shooting off that bench got 100 yard groups as small as 1/3" for 5 shots! Also got a carpet burned elbow; I tend to learn the hard way. I also made a snap-on brass catcher. It got heavy use for many years and I sorely miss it.
https://ibb.co/m57YkjT
64b21378-db3d-4e6c-bce9-342f5334eb4c-zps822b00ed.jpg

..............- heavy kickers can still cause elbow burns - ............
I went to a sports shop called Dunham's and in the hocky/ball game area, picked up two elbow pads. Best investment I made for shooting. They never leave my shooting box until I put them on. I wouldn't be able to shoot prone without them. They are a VERY GOOD INVESTMENT for those who have never used them.

I like that. Years ago I built a portable shooting bench with the emphasis on light and on simple. For the top I used a piece of carpet - heavy kickers can still cause elbow burns - and used screw-on legs. It sadly got left behind on our last move.

I had my doubts about it being solid and sturdy. But it certainly was solid and sturdy, to my astonishment. I own three MOA rifles and when shooting off that bench got 100 yard groups as small as 1/3" for 5 shots! Also got a carpet burned elbow; I tend to learn the hard way. I also made a snap-on brass catcher. It got heavy use for many years and I sorely miss it.
https://ibb.co/m57YkjT
64b21378-db3d-4e6c-bce9-342f5334eb4c-zps822b00ed.jpg
I like this and I”ll have to make one. Any detailed plans please?

I like this and I”ll have to make one. Any detailed plans please?

The top is thick - can't recall that dimension precisely as it was at least 25 years ago. The cutout, I just sort of "winged" it. The carpet top really made a difference. I bought the legs at Lowes or some place like that and they came with screws already on the top. I found some angle brackets and that splayed the legs out a bit which had a lot to do with it being so solid. For the brass catcher I made a large wire frame and strung netting on it. Two pieces of pvc were clamped to the underside of the table and the bent horizontal wire pieces on the catcher slipped right in with no trouble.

The legs screwed easily in and out of the angle brackets and the net was even easier. Took under a minute to put together and disassemble, was easy to carry and to store. I used it for years and was sad to leave it behind in Virginia. Does this explain the project enough to make sense?

I'm pretty darn happy with it as it is. I think I mentioned that I shot the Bushmaster off it and it's ROCK SOLID.
I just weighed it and its right at 36# and easily carried by one hand. I guess you could put removable wheels on one, but likely only if you have to move it a considerable distance. Be my luck it'd roll around on me while shooting. LOL
Well I had to build one. I had a nice piece of left over granite for a top.
hmm?
Kidding of course.
Built one pretty much as Encore depicted. Seems like a great portable bench. And solid as he says!
I did add one modification.
See if you can find it.
:snipe:

Attachments

• IMG_2066.jpeg
    IMG_2066.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I put my rest on the top with scoped piece in it.
Took a measuring tape and held the end near center of the scope’s eyepiece best I could.
Sitting along side of the bench I paralleled the gun and looked at where my eye focus was on the tape looking straight ahead. About 8” over.
That dimension told me how much of a cut I needed to start with to comfortably address the rifle.
Then I tweaked the inside cut from there.
My 2 cts.
I’m happy with it.
Thanks Encore for sharing the project.

Last edited:
Encore,
Regardless, I like it.
I did make an addition just a bit ago. I was out moving the large bench over so I can setup the portable next to it. Had to cut a few branches and such too.
I put some blocks down for the portable to rest on, then brought the rifle out just to make any adjustments.
With my Atlas bipod in the vertical position, it will be too high when required to shoot WITHOUT a rear rest. So I moved them to the forward position which put me at a preferred height. I grabbed another board and screwed it down well forward of the first, then just finished painting it with the stone.
I'd shoot it today, but the neighbor is over this weekend and working on a blind near the area of my backstop. Not close, but SAFETY is #1. The paint needs to dry anyway :)

Back