New to bh209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redruff

Reaction score
Probably been beaten to death here but...
fairly new to ML. Was shooting 245gr powerbelts with 80 grs 777 pellets.
I wanna step it up a notch and try a more accurate better load.
Probably bh209.
I've got a CVA Optima.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Yeah I have a suggestion! :D

Why don't you try a 250gr SST or 250gr Parker Ballistic Extreme over 90-100gr Blackhorn 209? I think that would be a winner! 8)

well your current load sounds very good, even better if you went to bh209 but theres some questioning on if bh209 will work with the powerbelts. Ive seen a few posts with it being normal and one guy having hangfires with bh209 and the powerbelt.

I'd switch to loose powder and ditch the pellets.

CVA Optima - 100 yards, 3 shot groups. That one hole is Three shots with a 348hp Powerbelt and 90gr pyrodex P. The larger group was rapid fire with the same load. I allowed the barrel to cool a few minutes between shots. That resulted in the tiny hole.
Picture029.jpg

Another rapid fire group,
Picture013.jpg

Sabot load, 240gr XTP in a short black mmp-12 sabot - 110gr pyrodex P. Third shot always dropped down for some reason.
Picture476.jpg

I would over look those SST's.

Are you going to hunt with that rifle? If so, I would move away from Powerbelts. They have a bad reputation.

big6x6 said:
Yeah I have a suggestion! :D

Why don't you try a 250gr SST or 250gr Parker Ballistic Extreme over 90-100gr Blackhorn 209? I think that would be a winner! 8)

yep

What big6x6 wrote.
Noslers are an excellent choice as well.
No reason to stick with a bullet with limitations.

Steve

If you want to get in a little practice pretty cheap I'd go with the MMP short black sabot with the 250 grain Hornady .452 XTP's. This is the first combo that I fire out of every new gun. The XTP will also be very effective on deer.

frontier gander
The BH209 works quite well with power belts 245 with 120 gr for some things it has not hang fired or miss fired in my Triumph, we have a lot of coyote around here and I like to really blast them and have also used it for coon they are a problem getting into my feeders all the time. I would not use that load on deer or hogs as its to volatile. Lee

thats what i figured. This guy was using an optima elite and it kept hang firing. Maybe the TC has a tighter bore than the OE.

need to use Federal 209 or CCI mag with that breach plug and clean out the carbon every 10 shots. Lee

I have shot powerbelts with BH209, and even though i dont recommend them i had them and they shot well. I had a cva that liked the hornady xtp 240gr bullets with 110gr of pyro. They were cheap to shoot and killed things when i shot them. If money isnt much concern and you shoot alot i have heard all good things with all the other selection of bullets mentioned (minus the powerbelt) i personally have not shot an animal with the powerbelt but have shot them in various materials and was not impressed. Thier are people that say they work for them and i beleive that, i just think they are not worth the fortune they ask for them.

Switched from loose 777 to BH209 in my Optima this fall. Excellent accuracy and reliability with 100gr BH209, Hornaday .430 300gr XTP, and green Harvester .430 sabots. First time I shot with the BH I had some hangfires after about 30 or so shots and the breech plug was a bit** to remove when I got home. Didn't realize the importance of cleaning the plug when using BH209 at the time. Now I quickly clean the plug after 15 or so shots and its no big deal. Less than 5min if I take the time to remove the plug entirely, but usually just use a pipe cleaner soaked in Hoppes followed by a piece of copper wire as a pick. While it is not necessary to swab between shots as with 777, I choose to when sighting in so that my first shot groups with subsequent shots so I dont have to hunt with a fouled barrel, as many others on here do with great success.

Grouse said:
Short black mmp sabot for .452 bullets, and a federal 209A primer is about a must to ignite BH209.

Do you mean specifically for that rifle or in general? Because there are plenty of other bullet/sabot combo's and plenty of other primers that work perfectly with BH209.

I should have been a little more specific, yes I plan to hunt deer with it and I'm open to ANY load bullet combo. I only mention the powerbelt because that is of course what must rookies grab off the shelf or get handed by the salesman...and thats what I started with. Not saying they are bad, but I thnk I can do better.

redruff said:
I should have been a little more specific, yes I plan to hunt deer with it and I'm open to ANY load bullet combo. I only mention the powerbelt because that is of course what must rookies grab off the shelf or get handed by the salesman...and thats what I started with. Not saying they are bad, but I thnk I can do better.

I'd go with 100 volumetric grains of BH209 and a Barnes Bullet/Sabot of your choosing. I like the Spit-Fire MZ's. 100 grains should be plenty to let the air out of a deer easily out to 200 yards. But if you want to shoot a hotter load, you can just increase the load in 10 grain increments until accuracy begins to suffer. But IMO, 100 grains is plenty.

frontier gander said:
I'd switch to loose powder and ditch the pellets.

CVA Optima - 100 yards, 3 shot groups. That one hole is Three shots with a 348hp Powerbelt and 90gr pyrodex P. The larger group was rapid fire with the same load. I allowed the barrel to cool a few minutes between shots. That resulted in the tiny hole.
Picture029.jpg

Another rapid fire group,
Picture013.jpg

Sabot load, 240gr XTP in a short black mmp-12 sabot - 110gr pyrodex P. Third shot always dropped down for some reason.
Picture476.jpg

I would over look those SST's.

FG,
Nice shooting but rapid fire :?: Your muzzy an auto loader :?: :?

I wouldn't want you huntin' me :wink:

rapid fire took about 20 seconds to reload. If i had been using the straight inline speedloaders it would have cut time down. I used the TC loaders where u have to flip it over and then push the bullet down into the muzzle.

Back