Newbe cleaning help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksman72

Reaction score
I'm getting my new H&R muzzleloader in a few days and wondered what cleaning supplies I will need? I use Hoppes cleaners and soluvants for my 1187 shotgun and I know muzzleloading will be different. I will probably go with 777 pellets and Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets. Any brands should or should not be considered? Lay it on me guys, a huge thanks for the help. Mark-Michigan. :D

Use blackpowder solvent like Butches Blackpowder bore shine or Rusty Duck. Use a good oil like Breakfree CLP. Buy a few extra jags. Patches can be bought or you can cut your own if you end up shooting a lot. For sabot use get a small plastic jar that seals well and put patches and solvent in it till the patches are only damp. I also add a small bit of water to thin the solvent some. I use these for swabbing between shots and general cleaning. Use a bore brush regularly. You will likely want a tackle box of some kind to keep all your goodies in. A range rod is a good investement.

You mentioned 240 XTP's. Buy them in bulk (.430 240 XTPs) and buy sabots (44/50 cal sabots) from MMP. It'll cost you around $30/100 shots that way. Buying them in 20 packs will cost you around $7/20. It's a big cost savings.

I would also consider these bullets also in a H&R:

200gr Shockwaves, 250gr SST and 300gr Dead Centers with 100grs T7.

Back