newbie looking for guidance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
I bought a new T/C Triumph last week and have a muley hunt in NM next week. I will only have one afternoon to sight it in (wife had baby yesterday) and play around with the loads/bullets. I bought the new 777 magnum pellets and 270 gr platinum powerbelts. However, I am very concerned about their performance in accuracy and deadliness.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated on what bullets to use. PLEASE HELP!

Taylorhaught:

I am not a big powerbelt fan!!!!!

If I were you I would also try some 300gr XTP - 300gr Shockwave or SST same bullet - OR my pet load of the 290gr Spitfife TMZ by Barns / Knight with the blue or orange E-Z load sabots.

Try 2 & 3 pellets to see what your gun likes.

OR if you want to stay with a bore size conical try some of the ( Harvester Sabortooth Belted 270/ 300gr )

IMO- I think with 2 pellets & any of the above Booolets they will fit the bill quite well for you!!!

GOOD LUCK IN NM NEXT WEEK :yeah:

Lungbuster1

Taylorhaught,

Are "sabots" legal in New Mexico?? If they are a Barnes bullet would be an "excellent" choice for Elk but the Barnes bullets take some pushing to get down the barrel. :roll:

Chocdog

WELCOME TO MODERN MUZZLELOADER!!

Have you ever owned or shot a muzzleloader before? I am wondering because you said you just bought the Triumph and will only have one range session with it before your hunt. This worries me in that if you are new to the sport of Muzzleloading you may be hurting yourself by not practicing enough. You will learn a lot by searching questions from these forums as I have learned a ton by looking around on this great muzzleloading forum.

If you have owned or shot one before then you should be fine! I would go with the 250-300 XTPS or the Barnes. Either one with 100gr of 777 will do fine on Mulies. Although the Powerbelts will load easier, the Barnes and other Saboted loads were more accurate then the Powerbelts out of my Thompson Center

The Shockwaves with 2 777 pellets (100gr) were very accurate also

Good luck

Justin

Thought I would update you on my shooting experience this morning. I used the 777 magnum loads with barnes 290 gr TMZ bullets. AMAZING! I had bullet holes touching each other, and several overlapping at 150 yrds. My ballistsic were traveling at 2375 ft per secong on average.

The Triumph and these loads are extremely accurate.

:yeah:

That is awsome sounds like you have a great shooter there !

Glad you found a load that works for you :yeah:

lungbuster1

Thought I would update y'all on the hunt. I had missed 5 deer in the first two mornings of the hunt. I know, I CHOCKED big time. The last day I settled for a little forked horn shot at 10 yrds.

The bullet damage was incredible (probably due to the short range) but the exit wound was about 1 1/2" and pulverized his lungs. I wish i had more to report on, but pretty easy hunt.

Well congratulations on the deer.. it is nice that the rifle tuned in so fast for you.

Back