Palmsaver and zero on CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toggy

Reaction score
So for those that use the palmsaver... It contacts the barrel near the muzzle...

I sometimes wonder if that can affect the accuracy of the gun. I wouldn't normally want anything touching the barrel, and when I rest the gun I rested on the forend.

Has anyone abandoned the palm saver so has to not contact the barrel, or has anyone noticed better groups without the palm saver?

Tom

Certainly, anything contacting your barrel may impact harmonics. I saw this recently with a .45 build. I put a nice custom-length GI ramrod and SpinJag on and noticed the jag was contacting the brake. Don’t think too much about it. Shot for a while. When I changed the ramrod to a delrin rod with less contact, groups improved.

I don't have the palm saver on my Optima pistol but I do have it on my rifle.
No problem with the pistol accuracy. I think I'll remove it from the rifle next time out with it to see if it changes anything.

I doubt it will have any effect if the ramrod being slid in underneath with 2 thimbles doesn't hurt. I would think you would see more difference by removing the ramrod from under the barrel.

I have solid aluminum rods for each of my hunting guns and each rod has a loading jig on it appropriate for what that gun shoots. When I am finished hunting I replace those rods with the ones that came with the gun. Each hunting rod has the witness mark cut into it and is clearly visible. If I change some element of the gun, scope, load, bullet, I use the hunting rod for that gun when re-sighting. When I am in the field, I want everything to be just as it was when sighting. Just another way to help eliminate issues that can come from not following a rigid shooting program in and off the the field.

I had the same thoughts. So, I was kinda sorta forced to get a new rod after I sent that palm saver down range about 50 yards. Oops… my fault. No harm. Won’t happen again . My pride was the only thing hurt. I didn’t like the way it moved around anyway. I didn’t notice any difference in accuracy either with or without the palm saver.

Anthony

The palm savers on our 2 Optima V2 rifles don't contact the barrel.

Easy fix if yours does is to just sand the barrel cut out on the palm saver so it doesn't.

I see no difference in POI or accuracy with or without the palm saver. Leave it on when hunting as we hunt from stands and not likely to get caught on anything up there.

I sighted my accura V2 lr with it out and therefore when I'm hunting I take it out. I'm not sure if it would make a difference. Most of my shots are under a 100yds.

Latest posts

Back