paper cartridges for 36 cal. Navy colt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmer1

Reaction score
Since I have retired I've finally found time to shoot and enjoy my CVA revolver. I have decided to experiment with paper cartridges. Right now I am making them out of tea bags. They seem to work fine, round ball, wad then 18 grains of powder.Has anyone else done something on this order and what was the results. Also has anyone used the Slix Shot nipples and what were your results. Thanks for your time.                                                             
Jimmer

Never used paper cartridges in a revolver since fast reloading is not a priority with 6 shots available.

I've tried them with a .690 RB in a 12 gauge but results were not great. I never tried thin paper though.

Just trying different loading methods with the 36 cal. revolver not looking for speed loading. This sounds like a good may to carry extra ammo. Thanks for your responses.

Yes, I know. Just kidding. It's an interesting idea.

A spare cylinder would be the fastest way to reload if someone needed it.

"A spare cylinder would be the fastest way to reload if someone needed it."

Exactly my thought on a revolver.

Thats what they did in the old'n days was carry spare cylinders. Reloading under battle conditions would have been plain suicide.

I do like the tea bag idea though. I've never seen someone come up with that idea.

When primer cap is struck there is powder ignition and no trace of the tea paper in the barrel or the cylinder. I wonder if the paper soaked in nitrate would make any difference on response time. Also I wonder how long the loaded cylinder would stay usable. I have not noticed any difference in the  ignition time when you load the powder directly into the cylinder.

One potential hazard of doing the paper cartridges (especially nitrated ones) is a chain fire since the paper would be much easier to ignite.

Are your lead round balls slightly oversize so that they shave lead when loaded? If not, I wouldn't continue with your trials except by loading only one chamber at a time.

Yep I use .375 round balls. I also have a lubricated wool felt wad between the powder and the ball.
Last evening lite a tea bag and a nitrated tea bag to see what the burn rate would be. As far as I could see there was no difference. Several BP shooters from this area, seem to think chain fires are caused more by shooter loading carelessness.

Just to let you know, I fired 20 rounds of the fore mentioned cartridges from my Navy 36 cal. revolver.
Not one misfire and found no tea paper in the barrel or the cylinder chambers. I just cleaned the gun, not anywhere near as dirty as when using  just powder and ball. I think the wad helps clean the barrel with each shot. The cylinder stayed free and rotated each time the hammer was chocked. I have never shot this many rounds without major fouling.
Jimmer

thats excellent news! The tea bag was an awesome idea. Open to flame yet tight knitted to keep the powder in the case.

This worked out great. Loading the cartridges takes some time,but this is well worth it. Besides it is winter, no motorcycle, no golf, just what is needed to pass the time. Only drawback got a six month old grandson who takes up my time, first LOL.

In theory, a paper cartridge is loaded into the cylinder.  It's handy to load, since powder & ball are all contained in a single cartridge.  In practice.  The paper usually doesn't completely combust (not even nitrated), and the time spent digging out the unburned, and often smouldering paper could be bettter spent using a benchtop cylinder loader.

I first tried paper cartridges for both revolver and rifle back in 1976, and was never able to get satisfactory results.  This seems the consensus from others who have tried, also.

Maybe I am just lucky, but with tea bags paper I have yet to have any  non burnt paper in the  cylinder or the barrel. I also put a wad between the powder and the ball. Perhaps this accounts for thr cleanest of the weapon.

The following is from "The Bugle, Quarterly Journal of the Camp Curtin Historical Society"

"Originally, loose gunpowder was poured into the chamber and a bullet added. By the time of the Civil War, paper tubes were attached to bullets to create a single piece cartridges.

The cartridges would be pushed into the chambers from the front of the
cylinder. A loading lever under the barrel would be pulled down and a plunger would seat the cartridge in the chamber. Then, a small percussion cap would be placed on the nipple.This process would have to be repeated
for each chamber. Thus, unless there was a long lull in a battle, it was unlikely that a revolver would be reloaded.There is no reliable documentation that soldiers carried extra pre-loaded cylinders and
interchanged the cylinders to reload their weapon"

It should be noted that mounted troops issued revolvers also had a small leather "pistol cartridge box" mounted on their waist belts, to carry additional paper cartridges.

This a long debated issue. There is evidence of two cylinders in some custom cased sets, but this was not common. Issued revolvers to cavalry and artillery enlisted show no evidence. Cavalry weapons were in order of importance, until after the Civil War, was saber, "pistols" and then carbine, Southern cavalry, particularly Texas and Arkansas were know for their multiples of revolvers each man carried. Often two holsters on a waist belt, one or more tucked into the waist belt and two carried in saddle pommel holsters.......this was a carry over from Texas independence days and Colt Patterson revolvers, where most Rangers were issued of the "reissued Texas Navy revolvers" two each, giving them 10 shots in addition to what ever long arm they carried. Confederate volunteer regiments, typically didn't carry sabers, so the revolver was their primary weapon.

My uncle found a '51 Navy revolver laying on the ground of our farm in Quanah Texas, so corroded that only the steel parts were left. In the cylinders were a few conical .36's still wrapped in paper.

Back