POI shift guesses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70

Reaction score
I know, I know, the only way to find out is try. That being said, what has been peoples experience when changing from 250 grain XTP's to 300 grain XTP's, every thing else held constant? I'm guessing just a little lower, but that would be too easy, wouldn't it? :? I'm shooting 44 grains of AA5744, Winchester 209's and MMP sabots.

You would think so right??? For me, that was the case when utilizing 44 gr. of 5744. Just slightly lower.
Interesting though is the crazy deviation from one bullet type to the other. For example.. 250 SST in the bull at 100 yds. and a 300 gr XTP = 4" lower and 8" to the right. I'm just guessing, but probably how the bullet torques when leaving the muzzle???
Let us know your results. But you really have to try it though :wink:

The bullet weight might have something to do with it too.

I know, I know, the only way to find out is try

That IS the only way to know. Even differences from gun to gun and shooter to shooter can make a lot of difference.

POI shift

Over my lunch hour today, I decided to check out some things at the local sporting goods store. I was going to look at their bullet selection, see what they wanted for a fully rifled slug barrel for my Remington 870, and also see if they had any of the Hornady 300 grain SST 12 gauge rounds. I thought the rifled barrel was too expensive (why pay that much when I?ve got my Savage ML10II?) and they didn?t have any of the new 12 gauge Hornady 300 grain SST?s (they did have a couple of boxes of the XTP version). While standing in the reloading section looking at bullets, a sales person asked what I was looking for and directed me to the muzzleloading section. He showed me where it was at and then he asked what type of muzzleloader I have. I told him Savage ML10 and the look on his face couldn?t have been worse if he had just kissed his sister. He went on and on about how they don?t sell them (I mentioned that many gun stores don?t, but that is okay a person can mail order them), that they have been getting blown up guns coming in where the person has shot smokeless in a non-smokeless approved muzzleloader (told him you can?t legislate intelligence and that black powder can be just as dangerous if you don?t pay attention to what you are doing), and that the Savage is going to cause the game laws to be rewritten (told him that a Knight with three 777 pellets is a pretty potent gun as well and the T/C is a pretty accurate firearm). His store sells lots of Knights, as we are in Iowa and Knight is an Iowa company. He asked me what powders I use. I told him I have some 4227, some 5744 and I?m going to pick up some N120. He started into the ?origins of the primitive weapons season speech? and how he likes to go out in late season with a sidelock. At this point I asked him if he shot a stick bow. Lo and behold, he?s a compound man, cams, mechanical release, etc. ?but that?s a completely different topic?. I think I made some valid points and he walked away.
I bought a box of Hornady 300 grain XTP?s. I was also looking for some 300 grain SST?s, but they only had the 250?s. I guess I?ll have to visit his competitor who is really putting the hurt on his business :D

So now I have the 300 grain XTP and I'll be able to find out first hand what kind of point of impact shift I get.

Some guys and stores are stuborn. If they took the time to research, they'd realize the savage and smokeless are better and SAFTER

Back