SST vs XTP (for example)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toggy

Reaction score
I have an Acura and I shoot black on 209.

I've done fine with the 250 grain SST.

The SST seems to have a higher ballistic coefficient.

Yet I'm hearing a lot of people really pleased with the XTP especially at 300 grains. Great accuracy as well which surprises me just a little.

I rarely shoot past a hundred yards because of where and how I hunt and I am thinking about going to the 300 grain XTP.

Anyone out there specifically compared these two bullets? I guess really I should just pick up some of the 300 XTPs and see how they do...

If the deer died quicker or I got more blood that would be reason for me to switch. Sometimes on a great shot the SST doesn't produce a lot of blood.

Tom

At 100 yards or less the BC dif probably means little if anything. The fps can have a big effect on the bullet performance. I havent used SSTs in a long time except for target practice. Ive shot deer with XTPs plenty and its an amazingly efficient deer killer. The exit wounds often look like shotgun blasts so be careful where you aim them.

Got back into muzzleloading hunting in 2000. For years i killed 3-7 or 8 deer each year using the .430 240 grain XTP bullet. Animals hit in heart lung area seldom travelled further than 50 yards. About half of my deer bang flop.

In about 2010 i began using the 250 grain SST bullet. The powder charge is 100-120 grains of Black MZ powder depending on the rifle used. Most deer were hit in the heart lung area at ranges <75 yards. There have been five or six shots exceeding 175 yards with the longest being a lasered 216 yards.

The buck i killed Monday was typical. The bullet hit a rib and left an entrance hole of about 1.25 inches, the exit was huge- about two inches. The heart and lungs were destroyed, the spleen and liver were lacerated. Buck ran about 20 yards.

Yeah I think damage is enough reason for me to switch.

I've heard several say that blackhorn might work best with more mass so I think I'll give 300 gr a try. Thanks all.

What specific caliber XTP are yall using? What sabots?

I prefer a tighter fit for better accuracy. CVA Accura.

What specific caliber XTP are yall using? What sabots?

I prefer a tighter fit for better accuracy. CVA Accura.
Ive shot both 200gr .40 xtp in a sabot and 240and 300xtp smooth sized on a wad or cut sabot, in .45 cal rifles. Also the 250 and 300 xtp in a cartidge (450bm)

XTP users, I was going to get the 250 grain .452 XTPs and one site said they were for UP TO 1600 FPS.

I wouldn't be surprised if my CVA is pushing them 2000 FPS... Is that a non-issue?

Edit: after some more research I am finding that folks use the MAG XTPs for higher velocities. I am going to give the 240 gr mag a shot.

Last edited:
This morning, this bullet was shot through carpet, plywood, and jugs. Range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

240xtpmag2.jpg

The photo shows how the first two jugs are very beat up. The third jug has a hole in, and a hole out. Fourth jug has a hole in, and contains the bullet. The fifth jug is undamaged. The bullet weighs 231.6 grain.

IMG_0925.JPG

I've always had great accuracy with the 300 gr XTPs. Both the .430" and .452". I never tried the SST bullets but I know I didn't have very good luck with the FTXs as far as accuracy. I don't know why.

Faster is not a problem with an XTP in a sabot.
No stress risers in the jacket from rifling.
Once hit a doe at 12 yards, with a 180 grain .40 caliber doing 1700 fps.
It blew the ball of her shoulder to bitty shards, took out a rib, went through her chest like a food processor. She retracted her landing gear and dropped where she stood.
Didn't exit and couldn't find it. It was a quartering to shot.

I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume and using a hornady xtp 240 in my accura V2 lr and it's a tack driver at 100yds!

Santa brought me a box. Can't wait to try them out this winter. For now I have to finish my season with the load that I sighted in with.

I really want to try out the 300grn xtp in my accura V2 lr and see what happens with em. The 240s have treated me well over the years!

Back