SST vs XTP (for example)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use fff or ff whichever I can find, which lately has been fff.

I have used the .452 300gr non-mag XTP with a black crush rib and 90grV BH209 in my Optima V2. All said and done, could not ask for anything more as to accuracy or terminal performance. But I like to tinker and once I say “ok that works great”, I find I want to move on and find something else that works great.

I have used the .452 300gr non-mag XTP with a black crush rib and 90grV BH209 in my Optima V2. All said and done, could not ask for anything more as to accuracy or terminal performance. But I like to tinker and once I say “ok that works great”, I find I want to move on and find something else that works great.
What kind of accuracy at 50-100yds? That's my normal hunting range. I've been using the xtp 240s with 80grn by volume out of my accura V2 lr and I'm getting under 1in and half 3 shot groups at 100yds.

What kind of accuracy at 50-100yds? That's my normal hunting range. I've been using the xtp 240s with 80grn by volume out of my accura V2 lr and I'm getting under 1in and half 3 shot groups at 100yds.
I haven’t shot them for a couple years, so a little foggy but I know I wouldn’t have considered it a success if I wasn’t the same as you - at least around that 1” - 1.5” (3 shot) group @ 100yd.

And I did chrono that load as well - averaged 1784 fps (roughly 8-10’ from muzzle).

I get sub 1" groups with my Whitelighting with same bullets and 80grs (vol) T7/FFF.

I get sub 1" groups with my Whitelighting with same bullets and 80grs (vol) T7/FFF.
I'm going to get some and try em out next spring. I really like the 240s and just wanted to try the 300s to see what they would do. Being an extra 60grn I think that they would hit a little bit harder.

XTP terminal performance will always be better than the SST. Especially when you’re pushing on the magnum series XTP hard

Greg

I bought a pack of 250 grain SST'S to try in my Optima V2 rifle. They just didn't group well for me. 50 yards, 80 grains by volume of Blackhorn.
Next up was a pack of 240 grain XTPs. Same distance and powder charge. Those bullets produced about a 1 inch group. Maybe a little less.

Latest posts

Back