Pouring a Pewter Nose cap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
of the 
Well here we go on the process for pouring a nose cap....First draw the outline of the cap, the more simple the design the better the effect.... 

110.jpg

Carefully back cut into the stock and remove the wood....this will give a shoulder for the pewter to rest against...
210.jpg

Make sure your design and cuts are the same in shape and depth of cut....on both sides of the barrel 
310.jpg

These cuts will be worked down to about 1/8" to make sure there is enough material to shape it down to the desired dimensions..I am still learning how to use the program so it will be broken up...

Sorry to break this up like this but it is the only way I know at the moment....After you make the back cut be careful not to damage the edge this will be the outcome once you pour the cap....Begin removing the wood to the back cut down to about 1/8" and cut the tip back about 1/4" from the end...Then take a drill of about 1/8" and drill holes in the end....these act as anchors and hold it in place
412.jpg

511.jpg

611.jpg

710.jpg

Most critical part in that you have to make sure the cardboard makes a form that is close to the stock and the seam line between the stock and barrel is well sealed, if not you will have drooling down the barrel for a nice mess...Also if you have a gap between the barrel and stock , this needs to be plugged with paper or even steel wool to prevent intrusion into one of the pins that hold the barrel in....and that can be a big problem...Also you need to close the muzzle because it is really easy to pour pewter  down the barrel.... 
612.jpg

712.jpg

811.jpg

911.jpg

Most critical part in that you have to make sure the cardboard makes a form that is close to the stock and the seam line between the stock and barrel is well sealed, if not you will have drooling down the barrel for a nice mess...Also if you have a gap between the barrel and stock , this needs to be plugged with paper or even steel wool to prevent intrusion into one of the pins that hold the barrel in....and that can be a big problem...Also you need to close the muzzle because it is really easy to pour pewter  down the barrel.... 
612.jpg

712.jpg

811.jpg

911.jpg

612.jpg

712.jpg

811.jpg

911.jpg

Using a piece of cardboard (back of a tablet) and a short piece of dowel...Use the dowel as the hold down the cardboard and make sure there is a gap under it....Fold the cardboard over and form it to the end of the stock....Make sure  you have even clearance down to the backcut....
1011.jpg

1110.jpg

Why would it be scary? I find it easier to pour a nose cap than fit a formed one....I apologize for the layout...trying to learn how it works.....

Hilljack

ape over the 
Just before you pour make sure all you seams are tight....Especially between the barrel and stock...you have seams on both sides and where the barrel channel and the barrel meet, if you have a gap you end up with it running down and binding up the barrel lug....When you pour the cap make sure you pour steady until it is near the top....It is very easy to slip slightly and pour pewter down the barrel that is why you put the tape over the muzzle....   
1510.jpg

1610.jpg

1710.jpg

Begin filing the excess and contour it to the stock, keep going until you reach the back cut...The bottom picture shows the barrel channel side...this makes a form fitting nose cap...
1810.jpg

2010.jpg

I would like to apologize the way this came out...it should have been much more polished and flowing in its presentation....

Humbly
Hilljack

Hilljack said:
I would like to apologize the way this came out...it should have been much more polished and flowing in its presentation....

Humbly
Hilljack
Time for a major eye roll... :roll:  He's apologizing...

Hilljack, you rocked it. I am impressed.

Thanks for the compliment.....Just trying to pass on some information....

Hilljack

Mate, I was shitting bricks watching you pour that cap, good job mate!

Mike in Oz said:
Mike does this allot from what Gordon said .....  

Nice job.

Hi Mike in Oz..   :blah:

Thanks to both of you....I will post articles from time to time....Next one I thought about would be stock carving if any one is interested....

Hilljack

Buck Conner said:
Mike in Oz said:
Mike does this allot from what Gordon said .....  

Nice job.

Hi Mike in Oz..   :blah:
Apparently I need to have a yarn with Gordon.... :ss:

Hey Buck!

How you doing kid, still busy. I would think keeping Gordon out of trouble would be a full time job....  :affraid: :lol!:

Latest posts

Back