Powder Measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallen

Reaction score
With all the talk about powder measures and how inaccurate they are, I made my own out of pieces of shed whitetail antlers. I have some new bullets, sabots and a range of charges to run through my Encore, but I didn't want to have to take a scale to be sure how much T7 I was putting down the tube. My old brass measure is so inaccurate it's crazy! I made 1 measure that's 70 grains by weight (90 by volume), 1 that's 8 grains by weight, so I can add the 2 to get to 78 grains by weight (100 by volume), 1 that's 42.5 by weight (2 of those will give me 85 grains by weight, 110 by volume, the tine was too short to go any deeper). I started to see light penetrating from the outside so it was time to stop drilling. I don't plan on shooting 120 grains by volume, I don't need the torture, unless nothing else groups. I drilled a few of them a little too deep, so then I just used a Dremel to sand off a few thousandths off the end of the antler. Once I figure out the bullet, sabot and charge the gun likes, I'll drill the 70 grain out to accommodate the final charge. We'll see how they work at the range. They're pretty consistent on the scale.

I am wondering how other people check their measures for accuracy, I have found some that were over 20+grins off the way I check mine.
Back in the early 80's one of the old timers at Friendship told me to check mine by using a grain balance scale and getting 100 grains of GOEX 3F weight out and us it for a standard. As time went on I did not us black any more so I went to a different standard when I found that 150 grains of water had the same volume as 100 grains of 3f black.
I would like to know what others do.

Latest posts

Back