s/s barell cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadbreak

Reaction score
my omega has a s/s barell and when i bought the salesmen told me to use a product called FLITZ to clean the outside of the barell. it seems to clean ok but its polishing the barell to a shine. it says on the tube that it provides corrosion protection but im woried that taking something more usefull off of the barell. any thoughts?

I never heard of the stuff.. On my stainless, I clean them and simply wipe the outside down with regular gun oil. As for the stuff you're using I have no experience.

Flitzs is just a pollish thats all it dose not clean good
use your bore cleaner and then a good oil .

NO

But if you don't clean the barrle to get off the salts and oils from your hands it could start to get surff. rust.

Well, in a way he is. It's probably a bead-blasted matte finish and the flitz is shining it.

How much of the matte finish is lost? That salesman should have his butt kicked.

Flitz is a metal polish. It contains (among other things) a solid polishing compound and ammonia. My wife uses it for polishing the stainless steel utensils and pot and pans. I would go back to that salesman and rip him a new one.

Just my 2 cents.

tooldog.

I would not use Fitz on my ML. It is a fine polishing compound like for cleaning alum wheels. It is OK for that .

Thanks gentelmen thats what I thought also.It goes on like a paste and when I wiped it off the barrel was shining.It doesnt look bad but I didnt want to hurt the barrel.

Latest posts

Back