Savage vs Remington - just curious

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziva

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just came along an interesting video series showing the build of a Savage 110 action from scratch.

When I'm reading content about smokeless conversions, most of them are based on Remington 700 actions or break actions.

Just wondering about your experiences and pros/cons between Remington and Savage based builds.

Happy Sunday :) and keep safe,

André

I think if I'm going to build a bolt action gun it will be a Savage. I think the reason a lot of them are Remington is because there were more of them sold .

Thanks for the replies.... interesting

There are 2 bolt actions, specifically made for muzzle loader - Mesa Precision Arms and Defiance is going to launch one (I heard).

It's an alternative to the "typical" ones ;-)

Remy has many more stock/trigger/accessories available for different shooting styles/platforms. That being said I opted for a plain Savage 12 repeater action and jb'ed a single shot follower in place. I replaced the Accutrigger with a Sav2 rifle basics trigger for a bit but on low setting was getting an occasional slamfire. I switched to a 3 lever Jard trigger which is a drop in that does not use the factory sear, and I love it. I am using a thumbhole Boyd's stock with 1" Pachmayr pad and 3lbs of lead added to the stock. I only shoot this at the bench so I wanted some extra weight. It is a barrel nut 25" + brake and weighs total about 14.5lbs. There are a few other stocks but they are pricey. Bolt parts for the Sav. are out there also, places like Gunshack and Kinneys to name a couple. At my age I probably won't build another rifle and the Sav. and my break action Scout will serve me the rest of my days. Either action will make you a fine hunting or bench rifle IMO.

I have 1 built on Savage Target Action. Luke built it for me. I believe that 1 has a Timney trigger and Brux barrel. It does have a barrel nut so no real hot rod loads.

It shoots wonderfully and far better than I'm capable of.

Back