Scope Recommendation for New Custom Smokeless ML??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 350 is as far as your shooting, a 3x9, 2x10 or 3x12 is plenty scope and you can keep the size and weight down some. That’s always my preference anyway.

Love the specs on that Spectra 6x but before i would drop that kinda coin i would make sure its made in Japan. Thats a ton of $$$$ for a Philippine made scope and there are other options in that area.

Meopta Optika6. I have two smokeless muzzleloaders both wear the Optika6. Hundreds of rounds through both of them and never miss a beat .

I'd like to suggest you consider the TOTAL amount of vertical adjustment, rather it be MOA or MIL. If..... you plan on long range shooting more is better.

Love the specs on that Spectra 6x but before i would drop that kinda coin i would make sure its made in Japan. Thats a ton of $$$$ for a Philippine made scope and there are other options in that area.

I asked Doug from cameraland this very question a month ago. He said the spectra line is assembled in China. What he said anyways. I did not verify this or have seen any of the spectra line.

Well that would be a shame. There are some many nice scopes in that price range that are not made in China. I looked around and could not find much info about them other than the specs.

I agree.

GPO is a strange company. I have dealt with customer service and it has been fantastic. I didn't have any issues with the 4-12x42 (phillipines) or the 4-12x50i (japan) scopes. When I had general questions they were answered. They even took a trade in and it was their suggestion.

I also have had the passion 8x42 HD binos and they are nothing short of fantastic in every aspect.

If the spectra 2.5-10x44 was made in Japan or perhaps the phillipines I would really consider buying one. I like their reticle and that is a excellent hunting mag range scope for me.

Normally im not a fan of illumination but i do like the simple red dot with cross hairs. Like i said i love the specs but i also love the specs on the Athlon Midas TAC and the rave reviews are plentiful.

My dad (R.I.P.) always said: "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

Having been guilty more than once of not following dad's advice, I highly suggest you think long and hard about your scope. Cheap in this SML game just causes you to spend more money over again.

Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50. Prices are really really good on these right now. They have awesome glass & no issues on smokeless guns

Greg
I was really impressed with the one i checked out. Liked it even more than my 3-16x42. They would not price match so i got its little brother. I still think its one of the most over looked bargains that covers the most bases. At $350 with a set of rings you will probably never lose money on it. Only complaint is the caps/turrets are really long. I would like it much more with an exposed elevation and a short capped windage.

I've been a Burris fan for years...they are all I use. For your purpose this looks like a good choice to me. 65 MOA total elevation adjustment.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/rt-long-range-riflescopes/rt-25-5-25x56mm
I would be looking at the XTR II or an older XTR if looking at upper end Burris. They are HUGE though. You can get a nice Veracity also and it weighs much less. Occasionally Natchez has extremely good deals on the Veracity and the FFP reticle is one of my favorites.

I would be looking at the XTR II or an older XTR if looking at upper end Burris. They are HUGE though. You can get a nice Veracity also and it weighs much less. Occasionally Natchez has extremely good deals on the Veracity and the FFP reticle is one of my favorites.
[/QUOTE
I have the Veracity 3-15x50 on my Plains Rifle and the 4-20x50 on my Paramount. I'm very happy with both of them and they do just what I ask of them. The reason I recommended the scope I did was mainly because of the amount of total vertical elevation adjustment. The maximum range I'd attempt is around 300 yards with the Plains Rifle and 400 yards or so with the Paramount. I'd imagine he'd be looking at even longer ranges than that with his proposed smokeless rig. As far as weight and size go I've never much cared about such things unless it was on a rifle I planned on carrying great distances. On a long range gun weight is my friend, based on the fact it's more stable on the bench and felt recoil is lessened.

Just got off the phone with Doug at Cameraland. Grabbed the 4-20x50 with a set of Athlon rings. I wanted lows so had to call anyway. He said no problem and swapped out the mediums for lows.

I also invited him to join us here at MML. Heard tons of great things about him/Cameraland and from our talk i see why.

Penny wise, penny foolish I learned long ago to save money and go better As said what do you gain by buying something twice I am a believer in Sighton japan made lifetime no hassle warranty I have a cheaper sightron that has bounced from rifle to rifle s holds zeroighting in and it beat up but still works fine But remember one man's fancy one man's hate

JBaker, if you are worried about running out of verticle travel, you could always use a 20 MOA rail ...
Depending on the total amount of travel.

If you only have 65moa of total travel, then from center that's 32moa up and 32moa down. Example from above, Burris RT-25 5-25x56mm.
A 20moa rail would put you at 12moa from bottoming out. Reticles work best as close to center as possible. I'd suggest a scope with as much travel as one can possibly afford, especially on a SML where sooner or later you're going to want to extend it.

Back