Scope Recommendation for New Custom Smokeless ML??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a Leupold 3.5-10 on my Smokeless Smoke Pole last fall.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-3-5-10x40-cds-zl-duplex
This scope is great for me. If I'm hunting around my house shots are all less than 100yds sometimes in thick brush, so the 3.5x field of view is appreciated. If I'm hunting near my parents farm a 300yd+ shot is possible, and the 10x is more than adequate for that (for my eyes currently). The CDS dial is KEY!!!! I can zero at 100yds then I record my dial-ups for other distances. I have two cards (like luggage tags) that hang on the gun in the safe - one for 275gr Parker Black Max and another for 250gr Hornady XTP's. The scope is lightweight and compact, so it's easier to carry in the woods. I like to move around while I'm hunting, so weight is important to me. If I were in a stand or a blind all day....maybe I wouldn't mind having a scope that was another pound or two heavier.

Is the VX5HD a higher end scope....sure. Is the VX3 good enough for me right now....sure.

Good luck @Harley469

I put a Leupold 3.5-10 on my Smokeless Smoke Pole last fall.
https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-3-5-10x40-cds-zl-duplex
This scope is great for me. If I'm hunting around my house shots are all less than 100yds sometimes in thick brush, so the 3.5x field of view is appreciated. If I'm hunting near my parents farm a 300yd+ shot is possible, and the 10x is more than adequate for that (for my eyes currently). The CDS dial is KEY!!!! I can zero at 100yds then I record my dial-ups for other distances. I have two cards (like luggage tags) that hang on the gun in the safe - one for 275gr Parker Black Max and another for 250gr Hornady XTP's. The scope is lightweight and compact, so it's easier to carry in the woods. I like to move around while I'm hunting, so weight is important to me. If I were in a stand or a blind all day....maybe I wouldn't mind having a scope that was another pound or two heavier.

Is the VX5HD a higher end scope....sure. Is the VX3 good enough for me right now....sure.

Good luck @Harley469
This is exactly why I like the VX3 2.5-8x36 so much. Maybe not the best glass or the best target turrets, but the best all around package, form, fit & function that just gets the job done ! Your scope is just a slightly longer range version. I have one on my .204 Ruger and love it as well.

XTR IIs are like 110 MOA of elevation adjustment total but like i said they are massive 34mm tube scopes. The Bushnell Elite LRHS2 is another good tough scope with nice glass. There are still a few of those out there way under MSRP.

Last edited:
I have pretty much narrowed my selection down to the following:

1) Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50, 30mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle, 4x zoom ratio (best price around $1200)
2) Nightforce SHV-5-20x56, 30mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle 4x zoom ratio (best price around $1300)
3) Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52, 34mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle 5x zoom ratio (best price around $1390)

The prices I found are for new scopes and don't include tax. If any of you have any thoughts- positive or negative regarding the scopes above please let me know. Thanks.

I have pretty much narrowed my selection down to the following:

1) Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50, 30mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle, 4x zoom ratio (best price around $1200)
2) Nightforce SHV-5-20x56, 30mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle 4x zoom ratio (best price around $1300)
3) Leupold VX-5HD 4-20x52, 34mm tube, external elevation adjustment, duplex reticle 5x zoom ratio (best price around $1390)

The prices I found are for new scopes and don't include tax. If any of you have any thoughts- positive or negative regarding the scopes above please let me know. Thanks.
Just my 2¢............ I'd be real careful on the Zeiss with a minimum of 6x. My Nightforce NXS is 5.5x minimum and I wouldn't want anything higher. Yeah I know, .5 isn't much but its a lot when something is 30yds out and in low light.
Good luck with your decision ;)

Pretty sure NF SHV and the V4 are both made at the same plant in Japan. You probably wont see a huge difference in optical quality between the 2 and with the deal Camerland is offering on the SHV its kinda hard to ignore it. Both have a similar eye relief also. Between the two you would probably like the SHV turrets better but the V4 is still a good scope. I do agree with Encore though, 6x on low could be an issue in some situations. Even 5x low could too.

That new Burris XTR III looks great and its a grand on pre order. Burris brought the XTR assembly back to the USA.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-iii/xtr-iii-3.3-18x50mm

Thanks for the info regarding the low end of the magnification. As a side note, I don't care about the weight of the scope. I am accustomed to lugging all kinds of stuff over great distances. My coyote gun with a clip on night vision and IR probably weighs 15 lbs.

Last edited:
Take a look at Tract Toric scopes. They’re solid and all mine have constant 4-inch eye relief, comfortable eyebox, and of course clear glass. I have three of them in “Near” unimounts so I can move them among all my rifles (including muzzleloader) as needed without losing zero:
2-10x42
3-15x50
4.5-30x56

they’re all made at Light Optical Works factory in Japan - I believe NF SHV and Zeiss V4 are made there too

Take a look at Tract Toric scopes. They’re solid and all mine have constant 4-inch eye relief, comfortable eyebox, and of course clear glass. I have three of them in “Near” unimounts so I can move them among all my rifles (including muzzleloader) as needed without losing zero:
2-10x42
3-15x50
4.5-30x56

they’re all made at Light Optical Works factory in Japan - I believe NF SHV and Zeiss V4 are made there too
Thanks, I will take a look

2-10x42
3-15x50
4.5-30x56

Light Optical Works in Japan produces
optics for numerous brands:

066AF7B4-7E92-4B5C-8E9B-6E872CAD2278.jpeg
This site has a lot of interesting info on the various optics factories:

https://sageratsafaris.com/light-optical-works-japan/

I read that these places in Japan for example, cut lower quality and higher quality glass. It just depends on what the scope company wants. Does this sound accurate?

I read that these places in Japan for example, cut lower quality and higher quality glass. It just depends on what the scope company wants. Does this sound accurate?

I’m sure that is true. It should go without saying that the numerous brands/models produced in any particular factory are not all of the same or even similar quality/construction.

If its from LOW or Kenko they are pretty good glass. Some are excellent. Companies have sourced upper end lens for ages from Japan.

Definitely makes sense that LOW will build to whatever specified by their scope company clients.
Tract Optics, for example makes a big deal of advertising Schott glass in their scopes - which I don’t see advertised for other LOW made scopes. I can say my Tract scopes do have very clear glass but I cannot honestly say their glass is better than comparably priced scopes.
So I can only recommend getting best scope that looks good to you and best you can afford. Good luck to you!

P.S. - but I can say that my Tract scopes are all a heck of a lot better to look thru than my old Leupold VX3i.

I am in the process of putting together my list of parts for a custom Smokeless ML I will be having built, and obviously the scope is a key ingredient. Up to this point I have had "cheaper" end Leupold's on most of my rifles, whether they be muzzleloaders, lever guns, whatever. And I have always used 3-9x40 for the vast majority since, until recently, my shot opportunities would not be beyond about 150yrds. I now have shot opportunities up to about 350yrds on deer (thus the reason for my new smokeless build). I am guessing I would be putting 100 shots/yr through the gun. I am not a competitive shooter, I just enjoy punching paper from time to time and I am beyond obsessed with deer hunting (my wife HATES deer season). Regarding price.....my builder recommended a Leupold VX5HD, which runs around $1300. I would prefer to spend less, but I realize how important optics are. The rifle will be carried through some rugged terrain, and in every type of weather imaginable. So, any of your recommendations would be appreciated-fire away.
If you go with the leupold your builder recommended I guarantee you won't regret it they're great scopes and they don't break and American made

Put one of these on a friends .308. He was dialing in moa and hitting targets up to 450 yds. Same day. Built like a tank and won't break the bank!!View attachment 22151
Those are over $600 now. You can get a SFWA SS 3-15x42 FFP for $700 and under $600 on sale. They are built like a tank too. Once you get to the price point of the Midas TACs you are easily in the price range of many well made scopes that dont come out of China.

If you go with the leupold your builder recommended I guarantee you won't regret it they're great scopes and they don't break and American made
No they are "Assembled" in America and they dont track was well as many other scopes in the same price range. Such as Sightron or SWFA. Ive seen tons of posts of "broke" Loopies.

Back