Scope Recommendation for New Custom Smokeless ML??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together my list of parts for a custom Smokeless ML I will be having built, and obviously the scope is a key ingredient. Up to this point I have had "cheaper" end Leupold's on most of my rifles, whether they be muzzleloaders, lever guns, whatever. And I have always used 3-9x40 for the vast majority since, until recently, my shot opportunities would not be beyond about 150yrds. I now have shot opportunities up to about 350yrds on deer (thus the reason for my new smokeless build). I am guessing I would be putting 100 shots/yr through the gun. I am not a competitive shooter, I just enjoy punching paper from time to time and I am beyond obsessed with deer hunting (my wife HATES deer season). Regarding price.....my builder recommended a Leupold VX5HD, which runs around $1300. I would prefer to spend less, but I realize how important optics are. The rifle will be carried through some rugged terrain, and in every type of weather imaginable. So, any of your recommendations would be appreciated-fire away.

Last edited:
I would say exactly the same thing LHR said! If you have the money go vx5 if you want to save a few buck the vx3hd would not disappoint.

I like the older/original Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scopes.
My neighbor is actually selling one of his older Zeiss scopes off his .270. He sold the gun but didn't sell the scope with it. I spoke with him and he is in FL at the moment, so I will take a look at it when he gets back. He doesn't know what model it is but it has a 54mm Objective with a simple duplex reticle (which is what I'm looking for). He buys nothing but the best so I might go that route.

Another really nice scope are the Cabelas made by Meopta. From what i can dig up they came out of the same plant in the USA as the OLD Conquests. Parts were shipped here from Europe and then assembled here.

Honestly though, many of the newer lenses are better at gathering light. The Zeiss V4s made in Japan at LoW are really nice scopes. Loopie has it down pat on weight and eye relief. Plus the 5HDs got really nice glass. Not all that thrilled about the VX3-HDs. You can get a better scope for the prices they are asking but you may sacrifice some weight and eye relief.

For guys on a budget you cant go wrong with an STAC and this is a killer price too. Very good tracking, good eye relief and plenty tough. I would put this up against any Loopie under $500 any day.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...4ee9-013a-171a-00163e44aa35?variation=3139057

I just put a Meopta on my Savage SML for your same reason. I liked Leupold but the price was almost double. The Meopta had the size and reticle I wanted or was as close to the Leupold. Good luck

You can get into a VX-5HD for a grand but it will be the 2-10x42 or 3-15x44.
https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-5hd-riflescopes.aspx?q=&o=3&p=1&i=48&d=48
You might be able to find a Trijicon Credo HX in that price range too.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-Credo-HX-Riflescopes.aspx?q=&o=3&p=1&i=48&d=48
I guess I should add that I am also looking for no smaller than a 50mm objective with that $1000 price tag (makes it even more difficult to find of course).

Watch a sale on the new Sightron SIII PLR. The only negative is its busy reticle and its a 6-24x50. You should be able to find one for a grand or less on sale. Its also about 28oz. Cameraland had some for $899 but HillBill knows or knew where to get them for $780.

I use a VX6 4-24 Varmint Hunter in my 700 custom Smokeless and a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 in my Encore Smokeless. I absolutely love the VX6 and have since bought 2 more of them.

I use a VX6 4-24 Varmint Hunter in my 700 custom Smokeless and a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 in my Encore Smokeless. I absolutely love the VX6 and have since bought 2 more of them.
Those sound good, but going the wrong direction in regard to price- massively wrong direction.

Harley i would not go with a six power by whatever on a whitetail deer gun. I did and if you jump one in the brush its hard to get a good shot off. The field of view is alot smaller than a 3 or 4 power. Thats just my opinion...

Latest posts

Back