Seasoning an inline muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've owned a few modern and a few traditional muzzleloaders over the years. I have two brand new muzzleloaders currently, a .50 Cal CVA optima pistol and have a Ridgerunner .54 cal on the way currently.

My question is, does anyone season their modern inlines? Pros and cons?

Thank you!

Im thinking someone will suggest a Lee Shaver barrel break in. In short you make sure your barrel is oiled, strip a piece of 0000 steel wool from a larger piece and place it over the muzzle. Now use an oiled patch over the steel wool and push it down with your ram rod. About 25 strokes full length breech to muzzle. Do a search here and you will find more detailed info.

When I got my used Knight Disc, I pulled the breech plug and scrubbed the barrel with a plastic bore brush covered with a cleaning patch and soaked in RemOil Bore Cleaner...the stuff with the vegi fibers. Then I went at it with hot water on patches over the bore brush till clean and then I used some TC Bore Butter smeared on a patch several strokes and then dry patched the bore several times and then put it back together. I am not sure if this is the approved method, but I have a friend who has been playing with ML longer than me, and that is what he told me to do.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I've owned a few modern and a few traditional muzzleloaders over the years. I have two brand new muzzleloaders currently, a .50 Cal CVA optima pistol and have a Ridgerunner .54 cal on the way currently.

My question is, does anyone season their modern inlines? Pros and cons?

Thank you!
Seasoning todays metal is a myth (LIKE UNICORNS)/Ed
When I got my used Knight Disc, I pulled the breech plug and scrubbed the barrel with a plastic bore brush covered with a cleaning patch and soaked in RemOil Bore Cleaner...the stuff with the vegi fibers. Then I went at it with hot water on patches over the bore brush till clean and then I used some TC Bore Butter smeared on a patch several strokes and then dry patched the bore several times and then put it back together. I am not sure if this is the approved method, but I have a friend who has been playing with ML longer than me, and that is what he told me to do.
Scratch the Bore Butter and you'll go far pilgrim /Ed

Sorry: They ain't cast iron skillets and they don't season.

Right, my thinking was with modern muzzleloaders it wasn't necessary. I know my classic muzzleloaders did wonders with it but never have with anything modern. Someone suggested it, didn't feel it was necessary but figured I'd ask around.

I have 3 CVA’s. 2 rifles and 1 pistol. All shot like crap first time out. After the first range session and a good cleaning now they shoot awesome! I’m not saying, just saying lol

Modern barrels don't "season" but they will rust and pit if not cleaned after shooting BP or subs. Your seasoning is best left at home or your camp.

Seasoning is for a Cast Iron Frying Pan, No need to try such a thing with a Muzzleloader Barrel as they are Steel. You want to Clean your Barrel thoroughly after each shooting session, Then coat with a Good Quality gun oil to Protect the Bare Steel :lewis:

I have 2 knight muzzleloaders and 2 cva's as well.When I clean I use an under sized brush and use either 000-0000 steel wool then 1 dry patch each and then oil the barrels after thatfor storage.My barrels sparkle better than when new.

Seasoning is for a Cast Iron Frying Pan, No need to try such a thing with a Muzzleloader Barrel as they are Steel. You want to Clean your Barrel thoroughly after each shooting session, Then coat with a Good Quality gun oil to Protect the Bare Steel :lewis:
When I was younger, I always used RIG grease to put a firearm away after shooting. I had cotton bore mops for each caliber/gauge that I kept in empty Sucrets tins. A fresh dab of RIG on the particular bore mop, several strokes through the bore, and away the weapon went until the next time that I shot it. I always liked to run a cleaning patch with Hoppes #9 through the bore of a rifle/pistol/shotgun before shooting to remove the RIG, followed by a dry patch. Using this procedure I never had a gun rust on me.

Hoppes does a pretty poor job of removing RiG from a bore. You want something like Brake Clean but you need to be careful with solvents like that. They can be toxic and damage plastics. So when used do it outside and just spray some on a patch. Then swab is out the final time with Brake Clean. The bore will be virtually totally lube free after that.

Before i ever fire a shot by bores are swabbed out as best can with ISO-HEET and pop a primer or two. Then run a dry patch one time to wipe out the primer fouling a little bit. Its bone dry and just slightly fouled.

I use bore butter and oil works great

Back