Sizing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Another one of those things I know absolutely nothing about.
In the past I have read y'all talking about resizing bullets. Recently a friend of mine gave me quite a few bullets he purchased for his muzzleloader sized at .501. Problem is .501 is I need .502. They start out let's say "snug" but by the time I reach the charge they're on the loose side, I'd be afraid the bullet will come off the charge.
I've read here about sizing up using 2 files. I haven't researched a sizing die kit or what have you, I don't get free stuff very often so why buy something only to use it once.
What kind of files would I need and let's just say "how the hell do I get them to .502?"
Any help at all would be fantastic.

Are they copper jacketed or all lead? To size “up” a bullet also known as knurling, two bastard files are easy to find at any hardware store. Simply place the bullet between the two files on a flat surface and roll the bullet with some pressure with the top file. Sabotloader has some great info here on how to knurl bullets.

Are they copper jacketed or all lead? To size “up” a bullet also known as knurling, two bastard files are easy to find at any hardware store. Simply place the bullet between the two files on a flat surface and roll the bullet with some pressure with the top file. Sabotlader has some great info here on how to knurl bullets.
They're jacketed and where do I find Sabotlader info? And hell, I'm half way there, I got a drawer in my shop full of all kinds of files.

Are they copper jacketed or all lead? To size “up” a bullet also known as knurling, two bastard files are easy to find at any hardware store. Simply place the bullet between the two files on a flat surface and roll the bullet with some pressure with the top file. Sabotloader has some great info here on how to knurl bullets.

I found the info you were talkin' about and I think I might be able to handle it. I like the idea of the pipe cutter rings the most but holding the bullet in place is an issue that needs working out.

Latest posts

Back