Smokeless Options Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pevil1

Reaction score
Hello, I’m seeking some advice/opinions of more experienced smokeless muzzleloader owners as I have little to no experience in this area.

Currently I have a donor Rem 700ML (the original not Ultra). I’m debating between utilizing Arrowhead Rifle parts and converting it to smokeless or picking up a converted T/C Encore 45-70.

At this point I have no money invested into either so I’m still at the starting point. Any advice is appreciated.

At this time i think the Encore is a better value but you wont be able to get quite as much speed. The Rem barrel can be as large as 1.25" OD while the Encore will be limited to around 1".

Have you considered a CVA Hunter or Scout V2 in 45/70? You can pick up the Hunter for $250 or less and be in at $600 or less completed. It too has a 1" OD barrel. The Scout V2 is about $100 more but is also SS with a muzzle brake included.

Thanks for the reply GM, I am not opposed to going with the CVA Scout V2 option either. Do you typically send your complete rifle to someone to have the work done, or purchase a different barrel and components for this conversion?

Normally you can just take the barrel off and send it to whoever is going to convert it. Im pretty sure Bestill is still converting them but if he only needs the barrel im not totally sure. I like the idea of sending all of it so there are no surprises later. The extra shipping and paper work is worth the piece of mind to me.

I spoke with Todd @ Bestill, he is booked for the year. I looked at the CVA Scout V2 converted 45-70 package at Hankins Rifles and I am leaning that way. He offers a package with the bullet sizer for a higher price. My question is- am I losing a lot of performance by using a .40 bullet with sabot and avoid the extra time a cost of sizing .45 bullets? What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Back