Source for Barrel Blanks with fast ROT? NEW PICS & INFO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

Reaction score
Hi folks. This is my first post here. I found you guys because I enjoy building muzzleloaders and I belong to a couple of "Traditional Muzzleloading" forums but my current project is going to be a semi modern rifle and we're not allowed to speak of such things on those other "purist" sites. :roll:

I'll be building a semi-inline rifle based upon the Allen Underhammer action shown below. I want this gun to be able to accept modern projectiles and place them on target and for this I'll need a barrel with a rate of twist in the neighborhood of 1:28" in .50 caliber. However, I can't seem to find a supplier who offers this item. Most barrel manufacturers are producing .50 barrels in 1:70 or slightly faster.

I was hoping one of you fine enthusiasts could point me in the right direction.

Here's the action that I'm using...

AllenUnderhammer1.jpg

Here's an example of a partially completed rifle by Pete Allen, the maker of this action...

AllenRifle.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help with this matter.

Razor

Ive got a Douglas Premium XX 1-32 on one of my custom inlines and i think they also offer a 1-28 and a 1-24. IMO they are a awesome barrel for the money compared to other higher end barrels.

GM54-120 said:
Ive got a Douglas Premium XX 1-32 on one of my custom inlines and i think they also offer a 1-28 and a 1-24. IMO they are a awesome barrel for the money compared to other higher end barrels.
I have to agree with you on the Douglas barrel. I have a 1:20 douglas barrel on the Doc White built English sporting rifle. Great barrels.

Thank you all for your input.
I spoke with a gentleman at Green Mountain yesterday and he seemed to be steering me away from those Knight Disc Rifle barrels claiming that they were old and dirty. I thought at first that he was suggesting that they may have rust or pitting but then I realized that they're stainless. :?:

I'll look into Douglas as suggested and see what turns up.

Any further advise, comments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks again

Hey Razor,

I've been looking at those actions for a while. They look like a nice cross between old and new. Should be stone cold easy to clean. Good luck and please plan to post a build report and a range report.

I figured that I'd stop in and give an update on a source for a fast ROT barrel.
A helpful member pointed me toward "THE GUNWORKS MUZZLELOADING EMPORIUM" ( http://www.thegunworks.com ) and I not only found the barrel that I needed but they had my action as well. I spoke to the owner Joe & his wife Suzi. They're both great folks to deal with and I with their guidance I placed my order for an Allen Foundry Underhammer Action, .50 Cal. Barrel with a 1:28" ROT Tapering from 13/16" to 7/8" at the muzzle along with various other odds & ends needed to get this project off the ground.
Everything arrived safely and exactly as I requested. I'd highly recommend these folks and the Oregon Barrels which they offer. Absolutely top notch people and products!

Here's a few pics of where I'm at thus far with this rifle...

The basic parts acquired. Barrel & action assembled with nipple installed:

1E7C6911-29A2-4DF4-88DF-36F7BDCAA77B-7762-0000177B7D162B4F.jpg

Stock rough sawn out and laid out with the barreled action:

A15A8C44-4935-484F-B789-9DBA97658ECC-7762-0000176E00FC9C6D.jpg

F485ED2F-94D9-4553-9125-C548840F83C0-7762-0000176DF8300247.jpg

The forend will be shorter once I get all of my dimensions exact. The stock wood is English Walnut that I found on Ebay for a song. There's some really nice figure in it. She should be a looker once completed. Next step is to cut the grip section to the proper length of pull and distance from the trigger while getting the drop angle just right. Once that's done I need to figure out how I'm gonna' drill the action bolt hole perfectly straight through that buttstock. :shock: Wish me luck! That's a tricky operation to say the least.

I'll try to post up some pics of my progress if there's any interest that is?

Thanks for all of the help gettin' this project started.

Absolutely keep the pics and progress reports coming. We'll want to know how she shoots when all is said and done. Thanks for the update.

I'm not familiar with that action. Can you post some pics of the breech plug area? Is the bp removable? #11 ignition? Thanks, that is one beautiful looking rifle.

Looks to me like there is no breechplug other than the threads on the action/in the barrel. The nipple is fit directly to the barrel and it would likely be a #11. The only significant concern I have with that action is the lack of space inside the trigger guard. After experiencing hand and finger abuse from an Omega or three, I want room for my finger!! :)

I would also want some sort of flash guard on the inside of that forearm or around the nipple to direct the flash and residue away from the wood (I'm sure there will be something for that in the final product).

And, with any underhammer, I would always be worried that my cap would fall off. ;) I do like the use of a nice coil spring for the action rather than reliance on a trigger guard used as a spring.

Also, is there anything at the top of that action where a hammer would normally be? A thumb rest or something?

Here's a pic of another underhammer action I found. Sold on an auction site, the action was marked "KB". Neat looking package but I think my trigger finger would again be a bloody, bruised mess - especially with that sharp little adjustment screw so well placed to catch a flopping finger. :)

9302685_1.jpg

I've long had an an interest in underhammers and considered buying one from "Blue Grouse" but never did.

Hi JStanley, Underlocked is right. The breechplug is actually cast as part of the action. See the photo at the beginning of this thread. He's also correct with regard to the nipple placement and the fact that it's a #11 size cap.

Underlocked, I test ran some caps through her already and they fit rather snug. I don't see loosing one as a real concern but I must admit that it had crossed my mind. Also, that trigger guard is rather tight for a gloved finger but I never wear gloves while hunting relying instead on keeping my hand in my pocket until the moment of truth. Too many times I ran into problems with gloves while trying to get a shot off. That trigger breaks clean and crisp by the way. I'm very pleased with it and it doesn't appear that I'll need to tune the action at all. No thumb rest either but I confess I'm not aware of a rifle that sports one. You've got my curiosity piqued???
I really like that action that you posted up (Except for those @#$%$ hex screws.):roll: Too bad it's sold. I'll have to look into it in case they're still makin' 'em.

I think I understand now. :oops: duh.... The nipple screws into the bottom of the barrel, right? For cleaning purposes, the barrel stays put and you clean it like a sidelock? Man, I like the looks of that underhammer design!

Yup! You've got it now. I like it too. It doesn't have all of the advantages of a modern inline but it should still provide fast lock time in a sleek, lightweight rifle.
I'll keep you all posted as it progresses.

I believe the maker of that KB action was Ken Briesen. I've found one more example of the action pictured on Cast Boolits .

2b6cf228.jpg

It really is a Gorgeous Action!!! And I noticed that this time there's no pesky adjusting screw in the way. :D
Thanks for the heads up Underclocked.

I sent you a private message about the owner of that last action pictured. He might be persuaded, I don't know.

I have dealt with Joe and Suzi at the Gunworks for years. they are local for me.They are The BEST people to work with. They will make it right.

I used them for FFL services once and the shipper said he included a bunch of additional stuff in the box with the rifle. Joe said he did not see it in the box. about a month later they called me and said they found the stuff and asked me to stop by and pick it up. They are the kind of humble, honest people I prefer to do business with.

I have always found the underhammer actions interesting. It looks like you have a great start to a great rifle.
I am really interested to see how it shoots when you are done.

Back