TC Hawken loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psustang89

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything that shoots better than the ole trusty black powder and round ball combo. Problem is, after a round ball did not penetrate a deer's shoulder, I've been looking for more penetration power. Tried maxi balls, maxi hunters, powerbelts, and now have a knight sabot to try. Any suggestions?

Hornady XTP's. My Cabela's .50 (I assume you have a .50) 1:48 will shoot 240gr, and 300 well. If it is real penetration you want, the Great Plains 385gr. over 90gr 777 ought to go in, and come out ,the other side pretty good. Of the XTP'S, I prefer the 300gr. over 100gr. 777, but not all rifles will stabilize that bullet in a 1:48. Just have to find out.

psustang89 said:
I haven't been able to find anything that shoots better than the ole trusty black powder and round ball combo. Problem is, after a round ball did not penetrate a deer's shoulder, I've been looking for more penetration power. Tried maxi balls, maxi hunters, powerbelts, and now have a knight sabot to try. Any suggestions?

What caliber muzzle loader are your shooting? And what kind of load are you shooting? A round ball not penetrating a shoulder is, well something I never heard of. With my round ball load, I've busted both shoulders with a round ball and had it exit out the other side.

Now I am not doubting your claim by any means. I've seen round balls do some really strange things. I had one that I shot behind the shoulder, hit a rib, and turned and went up, breaking the spine of the deer. So maybe the angle or something was wrong in your case.

If your round ball load is powerful enough and your accurate, I would be a little more selective instead of my shot placement. If that means not shooting them straight into the shoulder, let them turn a little and slip it behind the shoulder.

If you want more penetration power, try a 460 grain Bull Shop conical, 370 grain maxiball, REAL conical or a Great Plains Conical. With 70-90 grains of powder there is nothing that thing should not bring down. I shoot them in my Renegades with good accuracy.

It is a .50 cal, using 90 grains of American Pioneer. It was a 50 yd broadside shot, just caught the back of the shoulder.

RB

I'm thinking you migt of hit an unseen tree branch or something on that order to not knock a deer down. Strange things happen though. I have seen em' blow saplings down on a miss.............

psustang89

Personally, i would want to know the twist rate of the barrel... is a slow round ball twist or is it a newer 1/48 twist...

From that, I could suggest a couple of realy good loads, conical and sabot...

I also have a bit of concern about the powder that you are using...

If its penetration you are looking for, avoid hollow points, especially the 385gr GP conical. Go with the 410 GR.

I have some of those, and like them a lot! I think they quit making them, though.

58 Cal. 60 Grs. b/p, 35 yds. Shot head on in the chest. The ball was found on the right rump, just under the skin. Thats enough penetration for me. :prayer:

sabotloader said:
psustang89

Personally, i would want to know the twist rate of the barrel... is a slow round ball twist or is it a newer 1/48 twist...

From that, I could suggest a couple of realy good loads, conical and sabot...

I also have a bit of concern about the powder that you are using...

That's a good question, this particular Hawken was my father's and was purchased around 1987 I believe. Not 100% sure of the twist.

I too am not 100% sold on the American Pioneer powder. Thinking of going back to the Goex and just dealing with the cleaning (kind of miss the smell anyway). However, I hunt with a group of guys shooting Hawkens and Renegades and the American Pioneer works well for all of them.

Thanks for the help.

Personally...I agree with some of the above comments such as...

1. Put the ball BEHIND the shoulder..
2. American Pioneer usually gives some of the SLOWEST velocities gr for gr. Try some fffg Triple Se7en, Goex/Wano, or even better...Swiss.
3. I like a .54cal when hunting with roundball. Heavier ball.
4. Did you find the deer?

big6x6 said:
Personally...I agree with some of the above comments such as...

1. Put the ball BEHIND the shoulder..
2. American Pioneer usually gives some of the SLOWEST velocities gr for gr. Try some fffg Triple Se7en, Goex/Wano, or even better...Swiss.
3. I like a .54cal when hunting with roundball. Heavier ball.
4. Did you find the deer?

1. Obviously, that was the intent
2. Thanks for the advice, have T7 on deck
3. Understand the concept, but have killed many deer with the .50
4. After a 3 hour chase with 12 guys we got the deer

:oops: I could tell you stories about chasing deer through the woods and swamps, but better not.

I would shoot Pyrodex RS or Black Powder out of a Hawkins style rifle. Triple Seven will shoot well. Do you hunt in bitter cold climates? I do. When it is bitter cold, I like black powder.

Forget about blackhorn 209 out of that rifle. It will not work. APP is a good powder but like 6x6 said, its under powered. I used to shoot a lot of it and a powder called Pinnacle. But when I hunted, my charges were in the 100 plus range with that powder. Also watch APP on damp days. Being a sugar based powder it loves moisture.

The Hornady great plains 385 grain hollow point will give you all the expansion and penatration you want or need. I'm not a fan of American Pioneer powder as it is much slower than the others. I like Triple Seven 2F in my TC hawken 50 & 54 caliber rifles. With conicals, put a felt wad between the powder and bullet. Hot shot nipples and CCI #11 mag caps round out my perfered set up.

Just finished sighting in my T/C Hawkens with Triple 7 2F 80 grs and 385 gr Great Plains. I do not use the felt wad (but maybe I should??)
I've not taken a deer yet with this gun, but same conical in another and the deer literally dropped dead immediately (with the typical final twitch or two). I'm a firm believer in Grain Plains conicals, and truely appreciate Triple 7 in my Hawkens as loose powder. The easiest cleanup I've ever experienced in a traditional rifle.

As to AP - I'm not sold on it at all. I've seen in my case nothing but inconsistency. I now use what's left for plinking and in some cases can even tell by ignition and recoil you're not getting the same load each time (even though I take the time to seat the bullet properly, etc.).

My Grey Hawk 54cal. Loves T7 2f powder,too. Shoots great,easy cleanup,and NO crud ring with #11 caps. Latley I've been shooting the Lee "Real Bullets",and I'm impressed with their performance. Plus I can load them without cleaning between shots,and get the same accuracy as I did cleaning between shots! :D I'm considering ordering the 380gr. mold (mine is the 300gr. mold). I don't think it could shoot any better,but it would deliver "more shock" on the game. I use this gun in heavy cover,and tree stand hunting,where my shots are limmited to 75yds.or less. Ron

When I was hunting with my Hawken I would use the Great Plains bullet for the initial load and back it up with round balls for ease of the reload. My thinking was I wanted the easier/quicker reload and by making the first shot count I would not be likely to need it. I only shot one deer with the GP but it penetrated well and killed quickly.

Yeah,the GP bullets do shoot well,and deliver alot of shock to the game. Ron

Back