Thread grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pa.Marshall

Reaction score
has anyone tried the amsoil x-Treme synthetic food grade grease on your breech plugs or nipples ? Back in my DWB days a lot of the thread sealants had cancer warning labels so I looked for a safer alternative and tried the safe food grade grease . I never had an issue with it, I use it on all my greasing needs. Maybe some of the fellas I sent samples to can chime in with their experience.

I use a dab of food grade grease on my vent liners. I have used it on breech plugs in the past as well.

Don't ever move to California. Everything causes cancer there!

Even Blackhorn 209 has a new warning sticker on the jug this year.

I shoot Swiss Real Blackpowder Exclusively in every Muzzleloader i own/have owned. I used Knight Breech Plug Grease Mostly with the inlines i had, but also tried TC’s Gorilla Grease I believe it’s called? I have Greased them as Thorough as they possibly could be, til it was a NASTY Mess, A WELL Greased Breech Plug can stil Seize, Be EXTREMELY Tough to get out when Shooting Swiss Real Blackpowder. I NEVER tightened a Greased Plug more than just Snug

I set this up outside specifically for Holding a Barreled Action Firmly and NOT Marring the Finish, This allowed me to get good Leverage on inline Plugs that were Seized, Tight to get out. My usual 6-8 Shots wasn’t a Problem, i could get them out by Hand no problem, But if i Shot 12-15 Shots or More i could Count on the Plug being TIGHT, REALLY TIGHT to get out. I would use my little handheld Steam Cleaner on these ones and got the Plug Warm/Hot, Which helped a BUNCH.

EOId86yl.jpg

One key is to not let a breechplug set in position exceedingly long, especially of course after any shots fired.

Yep, if you are using anything besides Blackhorn 209, crack 'em while they are hot!

In other words, right after your last shot.

Yep, if you are using anything besides Blackhorn 209, crack 'em while they are hot!

In other words, right after your last shot.

That is something i NEVER Tried Busta, I wish now that i had tried that just for the Added experience, it makes good Sense! I always dealt with it when i got home. I definitely will try this If i ever get another inline.

The last time i Shot my Knight Mountaineer, I marathon Shot it 20-22 Shots, I knew that Plug was gonna be SEIZED Tight :) I Steam Cleaned the Plug HOT, Then headed for the Setup pictured above, She was DEFINITELY Tight! The Ole Gal Got a Thorough Bath, And a Fresh Listing in the Classifieds :D

Does thread tape help with the seizing issue any better? I have always used grease, and lately M-Pro 7 grease specifically but am gonna try the thread tape next trip out in my Encore ProHunter speed breech.
Walk

Does thread tape help with the seizing issue any better? I have always used grease, and lately M-Pro 7 grease specifically but am gonna try the thread tape next trip out in my Encore ProHunter speed breech.
Walk

I tried that as well, The KEY is getting a good Seal at the Nose, I had NO PROBLEMS breaking them loose after my normal 6-8 Shots. But like the Grease, if i Shot 12-15 and more Shots with my Swiss Real Blackpowder they would Seize up TIGHT. I tried applying Gun oil to the Teflon tape but that Created another Problem, The Tape would literally Fall apart then? It degraded it somehow

Here you can see the Seal i am talking about. The problem here is “HOW DO YOU KNOW You have a Perfect Seal?” YOU DON’T, All you can do is Hope it sealed, If you pull the Plug to Check, you Just Ruined the Seal, Now you have to Re-Tape, Thread it back in, And “Hope for the Best”
RfXtKaGl.jpg

i1hGWtQl.jpg

Walk

With You being a Pyrodex Guy, You might not have any problems here? I can’t be sure of that? I didn’t Try Pyrodex in the inlines i owned. But i do know that Pyrodex Leaves a VERY DIFFERENT type of Fouling than Swiss Real Blackpowder. Swiss leaves a DRY ROUGH Fouling, especially in HOT Dry Weather. Pyrodex on the other Hand leaves a Soft “GOOEY” Type Fouling. Again I don’t know for sure, But I would bet a Pyrodex Fouled Breech plug Would come right out?

Ron and i Went Through this with Paper Patch Bullets WAY back, I could NOT get 1 single Paper Patch Bullet Reload down a Swiss Fouled Bore without Destroying the Paper Jacket, mimicking a Hunting Reload Situation (Humidity plays some Role here to, there have been times that i could have gotten away with a Reload) The best i can Describe a Swiss Fouled bore in DRY Hot Weather, is Try and Push a Paper Jacketed Bullet down a Bore Coated with 80 Grit Sandpaper, Simple logic tells you that Failure awaits ;) Ron on the hand could get Multiple Paper Patch Reloads down his Pyrodex P Fouled Bore, Ron even made a Video in Response to the Paper Patch Reload Problems i had. It is the powders we use, they leave NIGHT N DAY different Fouling.

I have a knight bighorn that I shoot pyrodex select in, usually about 20 shots at a time and no problem with stuck BP.

I have a knight bighorn that I shoot pyrodex select in, usually about 20 shots at a time and no problem with stuck BP.

As I suspected :lewis:

I Shot Triple 7 3F with a Friend (1874Sharpsshooter) When he was out here on a Bear Hunt, I can’t remember how many Shots we Shot that Particular outing? But i am CONFIDENT it was no more than 10, But probably right about that many. Prior to shooting We had Greased the Breech Plug with Knight Grease LIBERALLY, LOTS of Grease! I remember him Saying this Plug is gonna be tight, and Sure Enough it was! But we were able to Get it with the 2 of us Pinning it Down.

Like i said, I had no problem with my normal 6-8 Shots with Swiss Real Blackpowder, But that Tune Changed BIG the Times i Shot 12-15 or more Shots, I could count on a Seized Plug, It wasn’t a Big deal at all, i was setup for it, and understood it

209 primers make a BIG Difference here as well, Take the Triple 7 Crud Ring for example, With No. 11 Percussion Caps the Crud Ring is MUCH MUCH less than when 209s are used. I would say that Triple 7 Fouling, Crud Ring is about the Same as Swiss Real Blackpowder when No. 11 Caps are the ignition Source. 209s on the other hand make that Fouling BRUTAL, Especially the Crud Ring. Where is the Crud Ring in Correlation to the Breech Plug :)

Boy I am getting an education on the different powder , plug combinations, thanks for info shared

Ya, I use musket caps in the bighorn and the crud ring was terrible with 777. I have a load where I use a 400 gr harvester and 90 gr of the select that averages around 1530 fps and I kinda like it. I'm gonna play with it more next year .

209 primers make a BIG Difference here as well, Take the Triple 7 Crud Ring for example, With No. 11 Percussion Caps the Crud Ring is MUCH MUCH less than when 209s are used. I would say that Triple 7 Fouling, Crud Ring is about the Same as Swiss Real Blackpowder when No. 11 Caps are the ignition Source. 209s on the other hand make that Fouling BRUTAL, Especially the Crud Ring. Where is the Crud Ring in Correlation to the Breech Plug :)
I keep trying to tell everybody about the permatex thread sealant #80632 but nobody seems to take me serious . I know im a charactor , BUT this is THE STUFF !!!!! Honest to God if i had to keep wrestleing stuck plugs id quit this muzzleloader stuff !!! Now listen up --- on plugs that have a front seal against the barrel lap that seal in with valve grinding compound from the auto parts . Snug , loosen , snug , loosen , etc. Until you get a light gray finish on the plug and barrel , uniform , where they mate together . Wash em REALLY GOOD . Now use that permatex thread sealant with the brush that is in the cap and coat all the threads on the plug and where it threads into . Use your finger to wipe the excess off ACROSS (perpendicular) to the threads . Assemble the plug into rifle and only snug it in . IT WILL NEVER LEAK OR BE STUCK AGAIN if done how i said !!!!! I challenge anyone for a better or more convenient fix for this !!!! I dont care what powder or how long you leave it either !!!!! TRY IT , IT DOESNT FAIL !!!!

Last edited:
I keep trying to tell everybody about the permatex thread sealant #80632 but nobody seems to take me serious . I know im a charactor , BUT this is THE STUFF !!!!! Honest to God if i had to keep wrestleing stuck plugs id quit this muzzleloader stuff !!! Now listen up --- on plugs that have a front seal against the barrel lap that seal in with valve grinding compound from the auto parts . Snug , loosen , snug , loosen , etc. Until you get a light gray finish on the plug and barrel , uniform , where they mate together . Wash em REALLY GOOD . Now use that permatex thread sealant with the brush that is in the cap and coat all the threads on the plug and where it threads into . Use your finger to wipe the excess off ACROSS (perpendicular) to the threads . Assemble the plug into rifle and only snug it in . IT WILL NEVER LEAK OR BE STUCK AGAIN if done how i said !!!!! I challenge anyone for a better or more convenient fix for this !!!! I dont care what powder or how long you leave it either !!!!! TRY IT , IT DOESNT FAIL !!!!

I did intend to try Permatex Anti Seize but never ended up Doing it, actually i did on the Vent Liner. But the Plug Body ALWAYS got Knight’s Breech Plug Grease. I questioned the Nose Sealing good? I made DARN Sure i had LOTS of Grease from the Sealing Nose, all the way Back up the Threads. I would run the Plug in & out Several times in Hopes of Coating everything good, I would have Grease all over my Socket from “Push Out” I made sure i used PLENTY ;) As long as i stayed with my Average 6-8 Shots i could get the Plugs out fine, BUT When I Marathon Shot up to 20 Times, NO WAY JOSE!! Those Plugs were Seized TIGHT. Was it a very light leak around the Sealing Nose? I suspect it was something like that? Otherwise it Shouldn’t have mattered How many Times i Shot, If the Plug was Greased WELL (As it ALWAYS was with me) and the Nose of Plug was Sealing 100% The Plugs Should have Came right out

Go up and look at my Teflon Taped Breech Plug above, it looked like it was Sealing good? Yet it stil Seized EVERYTIME i shot a BUNCH

Doc White recommends...........Bostik Never-Seez Blue Moly. The stuff aint cheap either. Over $20 a can.
blue-moly-bostik-inc.jpg

I did intend to try Permatex Anti Seize but never ended up Doing it, actually i did on the Vent Liner. But the Plug Body ALWAYS got Knight’s Breech Plug Grease. I questioned the Nose Sealing good? I made DARN Sure i had LOTS of Grease from the Sealing Nose, all the way Back up the Threads. I would run the Plug in & out Several times in Hopes of Coating everything good, I would have Grease all over my Socket from “Push Out” I made sure i used PLENTY ;) As long as i stayed with my Average 6-8 Shots i could get the Plugs out fine, BUT When I Marathon Shot up to 20 Times, NO WAY JOSE!! Those Plugs were Seized TIGHT. Was it a very light leak around the Sealing Nose? I suspect it was something like that? Otherwise it Shouldn’t have mattered How many Times i Shot, If the Plug was Greased WELL (As it ALWAYS was with me) and the Nose of Plug was Sealing 100% The Plugs Should have Came right out

Go up and look at my Teflon Taped Breech Plug above, it looked like it was Sealing good? Yet it stil Seized EVERYTIME i shot a BUNCH
I dont know what else to say to everyone . I can lead a horse to miracle water but i cant make them drink . Its permatex thread sealant with ptfe by the way if you were refering to what i said , big diference . I dont care what Doc or anyone says on THIS SUBJECT , ive got them beat . Its denyed but then i read this stuff.....i dont honestly know wbether to laugh or cry . You wont beat my metbod , you wont . Ive walked in your shoes and i found THE ANSWER . Gold nuggets for an age old problem dont be found often . Do whatever you want.....BUT .....realize that doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity . Just sayin.....and i DONT mean to be harsh either....

I dont know what else to say to everyone . I can lead a horse to miracle water but i cant make them drink . Its permatex thread sealant with ptfe by the way if you were refering to what i said , big diference . I dont care what Doc or anyone says on THIS SUBJECT , ive got them beat . Its denyed but then i read this stuff.....i dont honestly know wbether to laugh or cry . You wont beat my metbod , you wont . Ive walked in your shoes and i found THE ANSWER . Gold nuggets for an age old problem dont be found often . Do whatever you want.....BUT .....realize that doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity . Just sayin.....and i DONT mean to be harsh either....
Is there a breech plug made that won't seize when using it?

Back