Thread grease

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows what he was thinking on that one . Doesnt make sense to me either .

Lot more $$$$s in selling barrels with the same plug he uses in his bolt action builds. Greatly standardizes tooling costs. Its no different than a Rem700 build. Cant say i blame him but the market is there. Although he makes plugs for CVAs now. A bit hard to imagine why he let that boat sail by him. Everyone knew BH209 was problematic in RUMLs with the OEM plug. About the only guy who doesnt think so is Randy W.

Lot more $$$$s in selling barrels with the same plug he uses in his bolt action builds. Greatly standardizes tooling costs. Its no different than a Rem700 build. Cant say i blame him but the market is there. Although he makes plugs for CVAs now. A bit hard to imagine why he let that boat sail by him. Everyone knew BH209 was problematic in RUMLs with the OEM plug. About the only guy who doesnt think so is Randy W.
Flash hole is small and .041 at the chamber . Who knows why . Advertiseing dollar$.....IMO that plug is a boat anchor for many.....calm seas of course.....

Last edited:
Flash hole is small and .041 at the chamber . Who knows why . Advertiseing dollar$.....IMO that plug is a boat anchor for many.....calm seas of course.....
Many reasons.......(should say)
Sorry

Last edited:
Is there a breech plug made that won't seize when using it?

As a matter of fact, there is this one.

193.jpg

192 (1).jpg

This was after the first range session, loaded for bear. All it really needs, is a little oil on the threads.

Last edited:
If you gotta use pink she is sloppy !!!

Not really. I've got white that is the same thickness, it's just a different density. It was worked into the threads, before threading it into the barrel. Coated ever so lightly with blue moly. I even added in the o-ring on the first outing. None of it was needed.

Not really. I've got white that is the same thickness, it's just a different density. It was worked into the threads, before threading it into the barrel. Coated ever so lightly with blue moly. I even added in the o-ring on the first outing. None of it was needed.
No doubt blackhorn too . Good !!! Are you ready for the opening day fireworks show ??? Lol !!!

I would try it but on my Knight plugs with Teflon tape...shooting BH209 i never have the slightest issues removing the plug. Never had a problem with a tiny dab of normal anti sieze on the vent liner either. Its not that i don't believe it....its simply i dont need it and its easy to get the tape out with a brush. Ive got a couple high shot count Lehigh plugs. Shot many max loads with bullets upto 385gr with no sign of gas cutting using the tape.

If i felt gas cutting was an issue for me i would get Bestills rear sealing plug for Knights and be done with it.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/knight-bolt-gun-custom-2pc-breech-plug.32248/
20180720_191349.jpg
Thanks for this info on Bestill's plug . Im going to have to buy a plug for a super disc anyway so why not this one ?? By the way , you amaze me with that mind of yours and all it contains . Thank you for shareing its richness ......

Last edited:
I keep trying to tell everybody about the permatex thread sealant #80632 but nobody seems to take me serious . I know im a charactor , BUT this is THE STUFF !!!!! Honest to God if i had to keep wrestleing stuck plugs id quit this muzzleloader stuff !!! Now listen up --- on plugs that have a front seal against the barrel lap that seal in with valve grinding compound from the auto parts . Snug , loosen , snug , loosen , etc. Until you get a light gray finish on the plug and barrel , uniform , where they mate together . Wash em REALLY GOOD . Now use that permatex thread sealant with the brush that is in the cap and coat all the threads on the plug and where it threads into . Use your finger to wipe the excess off ACROSS (perpendicular) to the threads . Assemble the plug into rifle and only snug it in . IT WILL NEVER LEAK OR BE STUCK AGAIN if done how i said !!!!! I challenge anyone for a better or more convenient fix for this !!!! I dont care what powder or how long you leave it either !!!!! TRY IT , IT DOESNT FAIL !!!!

Back