Very very very very very very stuck breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you get an impact wrench on it? I mean if we are taking it to extremes the barrel clamped in a vice (leather around it) soaked in a penetrating oil, moderate heat and an impact wrench?

Buy a can of freon at the auto parts store that has a hose with it.
Cut the fitting off the end the hose, so the container can spray freon out the hose when needed.

Wrap a rag around the outside of the barrel/action and put very hot water on the rag, to keep the barrel/action warm.

Spray freon on the breech plug to shrink it enough to hopefully crack the corrosion. Be careful. Do not freeze your fingers. Wear winter gloves if necessary.

I have used this method to remove Oxygen sensors from the exhaust system on an automobile.

If that does not work, you will have to drill it out per the instructions given above.

Mine is not hex slotted

Do you have the CVA breech plug wrench? Thing looks like this:

ttps://www.amazon.com/Breech-Nipple-Wrench-Inline-Ac1603/dp/B00IVNB69M

Never saw a breech plug i could not remove.

Remove the barrel from the stock. Remove the trigger assembly. Chuck the barrel into a vise. Heat the action around the breech plug. Using the CVA tool, with a pipe wrench if necessary, remove the breech plug.

Do you have the CVA breech plug wrench? Thing looks like this:

ttps://www.amazon.com/Breech-Nipple-Wrench-Inline-Ac1603/dp/B00IVNB69M

Never saw a breech plug i could not remove.

Remove the barrel from the stock. Remove the trigger assembly. Chuck the barrel into a vise. Heat the action around the breech plug. Using the CVA tool, with a pipe wrench if necessary, remove the breech plug.
I'd like to add it is a very good idea to leave only as much of the barrel as you need to heat all the way around the plug threads sticking out of the vise, and don't don't spare the acetylene, but don't go "red".

I'd try the cold then heat as well, but rather than starting with a torch I'd try a good heat gun on its highest setting first.

If you get it out .put the next 1 back end use a little anti seize on the threads just a little dab go's a long way.

I've thrown everything at this thing and I do mean everything it's in an Apollo 50 caliber CVA now it's time for action all the suggestions I can get is appreciated probably some I've done tried or all all help appreciated guys
If it does come out, will probably bugger the barrel threads.
When you get the plug out, PM me and i'll send you a serviceable 209 breech plug-free.
.m

Hello, if u r talking about one of the old appollo cva inlines from the nineties it's not made to be removed. They where a self tapping plug. Once installed they where not meant to be removed. I had one. Talked to cva back then. Said not to remove it. I did it anyway to remove a stuck ram rod from the rear. You'll need a vice and a way to pad jaws. And a cheatter bar. Big one! Plug the nipple best u can I used a piece of wood drove in it. Pour liquid wrench in barrel. Let sit till u see it creeping out threads on other side. Might take acouple weeks. R put it in bucket of diesel fuel. Let it sit couple weeks. And it still might not come out. It wasn't made to be removed. Also might not seal right again. I was told the plug was installed with a machine. It just cut its own threads. I was successful at it. I got very lucky according to cva rep. Hope this helps.

Hello, if u r talking about one of the old appollo cva inlines from the nineties it's not made to be removed. They where a self tapping plug. Once installed they where not meant to be removed. I had one. Talked to cva back then. Said not to remove it. I did it anyway to remove a stuck ram rod from the rear. You'll need a vice and a way to pad jaws. And a cheatter bar. Big one! Plug the nipple best u can I used a piece of wood drove in it. Pour liquid wrench in barrel. Let sit till u see it creeping out threads on other side. Might take acouple weeks. R put it in bucket of diesel fuel. Let it sit couple weeks. And it still might not come out. It wasn't made to be removed. Also might not seal right again. I was told the plug was installed with a machine. It just cut its own threads. I was successful at it. I got very lucky according to cva rep. Hope this helps.
H

Yes smoke Pole it's a 97 Apollo but all that I've researched says they come out cuz I know it has threads cuz they talk about changing the to a 209 breech plug

Well guys smoke pole just texted me and said Apollo early 90s wasn't made to come out is this true or not I thought all breach plugs came out just inquiring thanks everybody

I had the same experience as Smokepole61. I had a 97 Apollo in .54. Purchased it used, checked the recall...good to shoot. So I called and got a manual sent to me. The manual talked about removing the BreechPlug...but I couldn't get it out. Called and they told me that mine pre-dated the removable BreechPlugs and I just had to strip it out of the stock and clean it from the muzzle...So I quit trying to remove it and just cleaned it like I did my traditional Renegade.

Kind of wish I had kept that old Apollo...it was fun to shoot and great in its simplicity

Back