Very very very very very very stuck breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I thought you had to change the bolt and all for the 209 primer and I had one reply that they wasn't made to come out so I'm puzzled now

I've thrown everything at this thing and I do mean everything it's in an Apollo 50 caliber CVA now it's time for action all the suggestions I can get is appreciated probably some I've done tried or all all help appreciated guys
I've dealt with this before. Spray WD40 down the barrel and from breech end around the plug. Let it set for a few hours. Use a vise to hold the about the action. Or if not lay the ML on the bench with action open and near the bench edge. Put your breech socket on plug with breaker extinction bar. Have some one to hold the rifle steady. Then take a mallet or brass hammer and whack the the extension hard. It should break lose.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Well far sided I've tried all that except I use free all and a few other lubricants nothing

I ask the same question about the slot. Told me it was for the tool to install it. No different than a self tapping screw. It takes a tool to drive it in. U could call cva. Ask them about the first ones. That had non removable plugs. Hope this helps

770-449-4687. Customer service. Also ask if it is the nonremovable plug will the plug I want to change it over to have same thread? Very important to know. If u r dead set on removing it. Find that out first. I put same plug back in it. Used mk85 knight tool. It didn't come with a tool cause they weren't to be removed. What's holding it. If its like mine was. R the chips and shaving from the threads being cut. There's no way for them to get out and they bind it in there really bad. Think of it like a tap kinda. The machine just drove it in. Was cheaper way to manufacture. Hope this helps you. Beleave it r not I do care about my fellow members. And what I tell u is true to the best of my knowledge and memory I would not make things up r lie to u for attention. Geez I'm just not like that.

Thank you again smoke Pole I found the number and said that their system is down LOL so so I couldn't get through

Oh smoke pole I believe you and I do take advice but I've got to find out for myself on this gun sounds like you're a great guy and I appreciate all the help

No I didn't say it smoke pole told me because I'm like you I wonder the same thing and you're right they sell conversion kits 209 for Apollo

My understanding is that CVA produced the Apollo with a non-removable breech plug (self tapping) and then at some point in their production changed to the removable breech plug then at some point offered breech plugs in conversions. It would be nice if they had re-named the model at the point that they made the change, so you would have an Apollo, Apollo II and so forth, but companies don't often do this...

Back