Volume bh209 is not equaling weight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

Reaction score
I’ve been muzzleload hunting for years now and always just used my volume measure for bh209. I would measure 120grains volume for my cva accura. Well I wanted to get more consistent powder measures so I measured out 3 volume charges of 120 and then weighed them and I’m getting 92-94 grains which is way over the suggested 84 grains it should be. This has been verified on two different scales. I have ALWAYS used this load but it seems I’ve been walking a very fine line. I must have shot 30 or more shots like this using my 225 grain bullets in sabots. What’s everyone’s opinion on this?

I measured out 10 loads of each weight that i wanted to try from a 5# bottle to get averages and i came up with some variations, too. I came up with 88.9grW for 120grV average from my bottle. Im going to assume their product continues to vary by lot.

I measured out 10 loads of each weight that i wanted to try from a 5# bottle to get averages and i came up with some variations, too. I came up with 88.9grW for 120grV average from my bottle. Im going to assume their product continues to vary by lot.
I just dug out my older volume powder measure and measured out 120grains. It weighed 93 grains so it’s not the other volume measure that’s problem. Now I’m not sure what to do as I can’t sight my muzzleloader in using a lesser charger before this weekends muzzleload hunt.

I think that if the density changes per bottle/lot that I would want to weigh the charge, as the powder should stay close to the same energy per/lb. I conducted the same test and found my T/C clear powder measure to be only 1-2gr different from the weight (volumetric grains multiplied by .7) but to get the the most consistency I started weighting my charges.

you are correct weight is weight whether it takes more or less 84 grns is 84 grns from lot to lot

I won't tell you to keep shooting the 120grV if it's that heavy. But i would continue using what i sighted in with. Don't be like me, I'm always in trouble or bleeding.

Your probably ok using 120 volume even though it does weigh heavy, being it is a 50 cal using a fairly lite bullet for the caliber.

Your probably ok using 120 volume even though it does weigh heavy, being it is a 50 cal using a fairly lite bullet for the caliber.
When comes to energy produced and converted to propellant gas it's my opinion, from what I have read, that grain weight of the charge is equal to the energy the charge contains. Volume or space that the charge takes up in the rifle effects the initial pressure under the bullet. Therefore a bulky charge powder will produce less pressure than a powder of the same weight but less bulky.

Just stick with 120 gr bye volume.
If that's what you're dialed in for regardless of lot of powder

When comes to energy produced and converted to propellant gas it's my opinion, from what I have read, that grain weight of the charge is equal to the energy the charge contains. Volume or space that the charge takes up in the rifle effects the initial pressure under the bullet. Therefore a bulky charge powder will produce less pressure than a powder of the same weight but less bulky.
I should of qualified that by also saying that powder are of equal or near equal burn rate.

VOLUMETRIC measurement is the Industry Standard. That goes for Black Powder, and ALL the Black Powder Substitutes.

It's ALWAYS the same VOLUME.

Don't overthink it!

Latest posts

Back