Weighing Black MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Jon,

I'm curious what weight scale do you think Black MZ follows the APP 2F of the Shockey"s gold 2f ?  I've been using the Shockey"s because the it looks a little finer to me than APP.

weighing 100gr volume Black MZ, I got 87.6 grains. Weighting American Pioneer 2f, 100 grain volume, gave me 85.2 grains.

Its been a few years since I have shot any JSG powder but I'd imagine its very close to black mz weight wise as its less bulky like black mz. Hell, the 2 powders could be identical IMO. I will have to find some locally to test out and see how it stacks up against Black MZ.

JSG 3F is in fact very fine compared to 3f APP.

FrontierGander said:
weighing 100gr volume Black MZ, I got 87.6 grains. Weighting American Pioneer 2f, 100 grain volume, gave me 85.2 grains.

Its been a few years since I have shot any JSG powder but I'd imagine its very close to black mz weight wise as its less bulky like black mz. Hell, the 2 powders could be identical IMO. I will have to find some locally to test out and see how it stacks up against Black MZ.

JSG 3F is in fact very fine compared to 3f APP.
i was curious about this powder, and how will they do with flash channel and accuracy and swabbing and etc...

JT, Black MZ is basically the same powder as American pioneer powder, only they strain the granules more. Its around $30 a lb so I'd just pass on it. You'll have better luck with T7 or pyrodex if you must use either of them.

Wow, $30/pound?  I get it for $22/pound which makes it about half the cost of BH209 for me.  I get great accuracy with BH209, but at half the price per shot, I wanted to set out to find a way to make BlackMZ accurate and consistent to me.  It doesn't foul the barrel much, but it does leave a crusty chamber which looks like crystal deposits on the wall.  That makes a firm bullet seat difficult.  A dry patch is all that is needed to remove the crystals.
1cc4367d-2815-40c9-9e54-2f5dad0467b8_zps78d719c5.jpg

I can now get a good firm seat of the bullet and good groups at 50 yards with 80g (volume).  

https://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/rsrocket1/CVA Optima Pro/80gV_BlackMZ_sm_zps5009111c.png
80gV_BlackMZ_sm_zps5009111c.png

No, this is not great, but it is better than the 4" groups I started out with before I got the loading technique down.  I now need to find an optimum charge to get down to 2-3 MOA.

Measuring the "kitty litter" granuals is also a challenge.  If you lightly pour the powder into the measure and scrape the top off without allowing it to settle, you can get a fairly consistent drop weight.  Any shake and you can reduce the volume by 5-15%  Weighing charges also works.  Just be sure to seat the bullet firmly against the powder.  Ignition is very easy.

Measuring the "kitty litter" granuals is also a challenge. If you lightly pour the powder into the measure and scrape the top off without allowing it to settle, you can get a fairly consistent drop weight.
Bingo!!!

That is the traditional method of measuring blackpowder for muzzleloaders.  "Uncle Joe", my old blackpowder mentor from the early 60s-late 70s, did it that way:  So did all the shooters at shooting matches.  i do the same thing today.

Latest posts

Back