What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s 107* under my porch, but I finally took time to sight in the new to me TC Hawken with the laminate stock. I zeroed it at 25 yards with 60 grains of T7 and a 350 grain cast bullet in a Harvester crush rib sabot. It’s too dang hot for shooting to be fun, so I probably won’t mess with it again until closer to OK muzzleloader season at the end of Octobe

Retrieverman, I cannot believe how hot you people have it there across the south and west. Here is a pic of our weather forecast. We have been getting an unusual amount of rain. I think we are in for an early winter with a lot of snow. Hope you all stay safe..
I'm jealous I'm not going to say what I really want to lol but must be nice here is our weather and it been this way for 3 weeks

Attachments

• 13477~2.jpeg
    13477~2.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm jealous I'm not going to say what I really want to lol but must be nice here is our weather and it been this way for 3 weeks
Yep, I’m in northern Nacogdoches county, and here’s what the next few days looks like. My pasture looks like it could be the middle of winter it’s so dead.
IMG_1791.png

I have stained the comb i had took down. I started putting the sealer on that area. I put another coat on it this morning. It looks pityful, i will have to sand it all down again. Then have to restain n seal it this next Spring. Its time to get it sighted in for this season on tree rats n tick toters.

Realized that of all my rifles, breech and muzzleloading, none compares to my T/C Firehawk " Calico". Not in weight, handling, sight/target acquisition or looks.
I picked a spot on the wall, and threw her to shoulder.
With no conscious effort, the butt hit my shoulder and my cheek touched the comb, the sights were ON that spot.
Tried it several times and at different angles with the same result.
Her third deer was like that. A split second 60 yard shot. The butt hit shoulder, my cheek hit the comb and I don't even remember the sight picture. BOOOOM...
It was a perfect heart shot.
A production model that fits me like it was made for me.
Don't get no better.

Was fortunate enough today to find some Federal 209s today. Also recieved a shipment of Fury’s. I’m right at 400 rounds through my Woodman Omega barrel. Didn’t realize I was really low on primers. I definitely want to try the Large rifle primer modules. I’m set for life on those primers.

Just got back home from a NV antelope hunt. Good times! Stopped at a couple little sporting good stores along the way and picked up a few bullets that I don’t generally see anywhere locally - 300 gr TC bonded shockwaves, 285 gr Barnes Spitfires, and 270 BOR locks. And grabbed a few more Barnes 195s as well.

Helped a buddy take down. Some ladder stands on property he can’t hunt this year , temperature like 94*. When we were done we took some shots with our muzzies to check they were still on point. I shot my Optima and my Vision both all good a little high 2” at 70 yds. My buddy shot his old ( 13 or 14 yrs) Traditions 50 that hadn’t touched in a few years. When he loaded it with 3 pellets of T7 I told him I thought he was crazy and stood well behind him when he shot. I convinced him he would be way better off with only 2 pellets and safer. We both only shot a few rounds way to hot to shoot for long, but it felt good.

These were taken a cpl days before the cane hit.
Loading up some new 5ml tubes with some N110 charges- with my “ assistant “.
Wellll, she thinks she was helping lol.
I didn’t get much done, but we had fun doing it. She has quite the personality & she thought the powder dish was a “ birdie treat “ dish. She did not want to hear that it wasn’t.
She will be 35 in Sept.
I’ve had her 20yrs.

Attachments

• 71459597300__A1920DF6-AE3E-41D1-8DC8-C51CBA5293BC.jpeg
    71459597300__A1920DF6-AE3E-41D1-8DC8-C51CBA5293BC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 71459595947__127432EC-403B-44F5-A9F7-DD1C39D2E170.jpeg
    71459595947__127432EC-403B-44F5-A9F7-DD1C39D2E170.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Loaded up the range box to take Autumn out and get her dirty.
Our October beer season ( bear and deer... Beer) will be here before I know it.
Hope she's not too hard on me for not taking her for a walk for 3 years...

Loaded up the range box to take Autumn out and get her dirty.
Our October beer season ( bear and deer... Beer) will be here before I know it.
Hope she's not too hard on me for not taking her for a walk for 3 years...
Would that happen to be Pa ?

Knurled about 100 225 Furies and 195 Barnes. Weighed out a bunch of I4198 and some BH209 for the range tomorrow.

Averaged some volume charges of lot 41 BH209. Twenty 120 grV volume charges weighed between 90.2 and 90.8 gr. Average was 90.6 grW for a conversion factor of .755. Careful volume measuring can be pretty darned consistent.

Latest posts

Back