What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got in the habit of knurling everything that goes thru the Patriot with smokeless and it sort of rubbed off on the guns shooting BH209 during the season too. Of course the bullets used with BH get knurled not for when I shoot at the range with T7 too. Like to keep things consistent.

Wish I could get my hands on some here in Indiana. Those are all I have ever used in both my Knight 45 sml and my Knight mountaineer 45 cal 1;20 twist barrel.
I had to leave Illinois (visit a buddy) and found a couple of places in Missouri right away. They had lots of primers and ammo but no powder.

Took the Omega to the range today with a new to me scope. I added a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 XLT with a 250 DOA reticule. Love the scope, I don't shoot long distance so it works well for me. Funniest thing though, guys were talking about what they were shooting and asking what I had. Not many folks shoot BP at my range so when I pulled the trigger there was kind of a stunned silence for a moment. When the smoke cleared all I heard was "that's cool" to which I said feel free to sit at the bench and have a go. Great day I think !!

You like knurling the Fury 225 gr? I am going to try that for my next range session. In recent years, I have been knurling the 195 gr BXs.
It depends on your bore dia if you need to knurl up a bullet. Keep in mind that, I believe the Barnes 195g are .400 dia. The Fury 225g bullets are .402. Thats already a .002" increase in bullet dia. I shoot smooth .40 bullets & the knurled .402 225g bullets in the same gun with the same accuracy. The .402's fit what I think as perfectly, & the .40's are not " loose " but not really snug like they should fit either. However really, no accuracy change between them

Finally got a break in the heat, well not really the heat but the humidity for sure, mid 90's, 40% humidity, nice for a change.
Decided to pack up and head to my personal shootin' range at the lease.
Right above the cabin area is a hole in the trees and at midday the sun pokes through the treetops. You know, if your looking into the shade from being directly in the sunlight you can't see doodley squat! Not to mention my fan club of about 10 of these guys fluttered in and stayed awhile.
I finally figured out today what the old man( Howie, my CVA) likes. It doesn't matter what bullet I shove down the barrel so long as I use 110 grains volume T7 2f I get 1.5+- groups at 100 yards. More or less powder the groups go to hell.

I love being back in the woods, seasons right around the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_123111933_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230903_123414316_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230903_123649914_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Finally got a break in the heat, well not really the heat but the humidity for sure, mid 90's, 40% humidity, nice for a change.
Decided to pack up and head to my personal shootin' range at the lease.
Right above the cabin area is a hole in the trees and at midday the sun pokes through the treetops. You know, if your looking into the shade from being directly in the sunlight you can't see doodley squat! Not to mention my fan club of about 10 of these guys fluttered in and stayed awhile.
I finally figured out today what the old man( Howie, my CVA) likes. It doesn't matter what bullet I shove down the barrel so long as I use 110 grains volume T7 2f I get 1.5+- groups at 100 yards. More or less powder the groups go to hell.

I love being back in the woods, seasons right around the corner.
Sharp pictures, could pretty near smell the powder!

Back