What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made up some more Bh209 loads, received some Parker 327 gr BMs, and ordered a bunch of bullets from Northern Precision.

What are some other brands to look at for ammo? I'm a hornady guy for centerline so it's what this mz newbie went to out of habit. Probably could make this it's own thread. "What's in your ammo box"

Last edited:
I stopped by Scheels this morning and picked up my regular deer license for the first season along with one of two available bonus tag. Then I headed into the shooting department and grabbed a pair of pop-up lense caps for the Vortex 3X9X40 scope on the Patriot.

I'm weighing out some 56.5 and 57 grain IMR4198 charges to see if accuracy improves using the 225 grain .40 cal Start tips and the 195 grain .40 Barnes Expanders. At 56 grains they're both gosh awful accurate with groups at or just under 1" @100 yards. At 56 grains the Fury is just a speck better and its two months until season starts for me so I have some time to play with things. Frankly I don't know how accuracy could get better but I enjoy shooting so.....

I am almost ready to take my Under-Hammer n the 2 barrels with scope mounts to my friend. He is going to do the drilling n tapping on both barrel. I even found my rifle case with the Under-Hammer. After the move from Ky. to Mo. its hard to locate anything.

I would post a photo of a stock I just finished except it has been so long since I did that and I lost my instructions so unable.

1st time i have shot my .54 Renegade caplock. Set my target at 25 yards. Started with 50gr of 3 f Goex n prb. Shot hit about center but 4.5" low. 2nd shot used 55 gr prb hit 1.5 " higher most center. Cleaned barrel. Shot 3rd shot using 60 gr n hit just left of the 1st shot. I did 60 gr on 4th shot n just cut edge of 2nd shot. Following a pattern, clean barrel it hits center of aim but 4.5 " low. The next shots on fouled bore hit 1.5" higher. On this session the 5 gr. load increase did not move ball up but pressure did it. Did not adjust sights, just getting a feel on load increases. I will start next session with 65 gr, then 70 gr, 75 gr, & 80 gr. red/white pillow ticking .015lubed with TOW mink oil lube. All i have in the projectiles is Hornady swagged round ball. Also have the red sabot n 200 gr/225 gr/250 gr/275gr bullets. I have a REAL bullet mold in 300 gr. Just have not had a chance to cast any yet.

Finally got my first inline today. After all the Omega posts I'm reading now though I'm regretting not scouring the earth for one of those. But this will be a good starter for me.

20230914_180532.jpg
Yes the scope will be getting replaced. Figured I'd give it a chance (combo package) to try and keep it cheap at first. But what a piece of crap.

Last edited:
I had a little time this morning so I hit the club to shoot the 56.5 and 57 grain charges under the 225 grain, .40 start tipped Fury in a blue sabot. 3 shots each. Each 3 shots were a bit higher, but at 57 grains the recoil was noticeably heavier. Then I tried the three shots of each under a 195 grain, .40 Barnes Expander. Both of the charges sent the bullets about 3"-5" high and a hair to the right. No wind. Recoil was even worse at 57 than with the 225 grain. I've decided to shoot the 56 grain load with both bullets a couple more sessions and then decide which pill is going hunting.

I'm still in the hunt for some N110 locally but I'm always a day late. I may opt to order it and eat the hazmat fee, as much as that sours my stomach.

To cap off the shoot today I did some 5744 behind some 200 grain XTP .40 cal bullets in the blue sabots. Not impressed with the 5744. Dirty. I'll find someone locally that wants it.

And while I have plenty of the W209 and Fed 209A primers, I tried some cheddites today with the 4198 and they worked fine.

I had a little time this morning so I hit the club to shoot the 56.5 and 57 grain charges under the 225 grain, .40 start tipped Fury in a blue sabot. 3 shots each. Each 3 shots were a bit higher, but at 57 grains the recoil was noticeably heavier. Then I tried the three shots of each under a 195 grain, .40 Barnes Expander. Both of the charges sent the bullets about 3"-5" high and a hair to the right. No wind. Recoil was even worse at 57 than with the 225 grain. I've decided to shoot the 56 grain load with both bullets a couple more sessions and then decide which pill is going hunting.

I'm still in the hunt for some N110 locally but I'm always a day late. I may opt to order it and eat the hazmat fee, as much as that sours my stomach.

To cap off the shoot today I did some 5744 behind some 200 grain XTP .40 cal bullets in the blue sabots. Not impressed with the 5744. Dirty. I'll find someone locally that wants it.

And while I have plenty of the W209 and Fed 209A primers, I tried some cheddites today with the 4198 and they worked fine.
Like you i have gotten to where i do not like pounding recoil. I can use a bit less n get the job done. Yes 5744 is dirty, i have 1 lb of it. H4198 at 57 & up is more than i like on recoil with my light Handi-rifle. I mostly use Blue Dot/RL7/4759/VV110.

Last edited:
Back